Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mongoose Pro

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mongoose Pro

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-19, 10:15 AM
mousemeat

Bikes: 1985 Mongoose ATB. 1991 Schwinn Paramount series 2 , 1999 Mongoose pro. 10.9 1997 Ritchey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Mongoose Pro

Just picked up recently, a 1999 Mongoose Pro. very nice....certainly not your typical Wal-goose, or Target-goose....very light, around 18 pounds. does anyone within the forum own one ?
Old 11-27-19, 01:58 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
That would have been just before the Mongoose and Roadmaster brands were sold to Pacific Cycle, who made the decision to downgrade the Moongoose brand and sell them through Walmart. In 1999 they would still have been a full range brand, offering high end models. I even recall there being a front suspension model with a titaniium frame and Shimano XTR group around this time.
Old 11-27-19, 04:09 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I owned a 95 IBOC Crit. AL frame bike, nothing out of the ordinary, but I enjoyed riding it. My first STI equipped bike.
Old 11-27-19, 06:25 PM
mousemeat

Bikes: 1985 Mongoose ATB. 1991 Schwinn Paramount series 2 , 1999 Mongoose pro. 10.9 1997 Ritchey

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
This was a titanium frame..1999....Pro 10.9 x was built and sold for two years..1999 & 2000......Mine is a 1999...decent shape. I just replaced both rims, with newer rims and tires...kept the current wheels, etc..as spares...Those two years, were fairly high dollar bikes,for the era...again. not your typical low dollar, mass produced mongoose, that one usually saw for sale at Walmart or Target. those models were usually sold in high dollar specialty bike shops, or purchased on line....sadly, Pacific Cycle, also owns Schwinn, and Cannondale.....only a matter of time, before they cheapen down cannondale...and have those bikes for sale in similar places..

not a bad bike...actually enjoyed it...especially when the usual bike snobs, sniff ' it's a mongoose' THINKING it's one of those low dollar rides....LOL
Old 11-27-19, 06:28 PM
mousemeat

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'll try and post some picts of the M-goose, once my coolpix, gets it's battery, re charged...
Old 11-27-19, 07:24 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
That would have been just before the Mongoose and Roadmaster brands were sold to Pacific Cycle, who made the decision to downgrade the Moongoose brand and sell them through Walmart. In 1999 they would still have been a full range brand, offering high end models. I even recall there being a front suspension model with a titaniium frame and Shimano XTR group around this time.
Wow I can actually say I know a bit about this one. T-Mar is right on the timing but this model is like the poster said a 99. Late 98 I believe is when Pacific bought Mongoose. They were determined to push Mongoose into stores and the compromise at first was MGX brand was for Walmart and Mongoose to remain at bike shops but in 99 they wanted the name recognition at Walmart, Mongoose became the Walmart brand and Mongoose Pro was supposed to be the bike shop brand. I think every bike store dropped them that year. The high end stuff was very nice though but no one wanted to deal with the brand anymore so you rarely see it.

Last edited by mechanicmatt; 11-28-19 at 05:55 AM.
Old 11-28-19, 12:45 AM
Warren128

Bikes: 87 Raleigh 531C Team Replica, 96 Litespeed Classic, 01 Lemond Tete-De-Course, 99 Mongoose RX10.9, 03 Lemond Wayzata, 00 Litespeed Appalachian, 99 Bianchi XL Boron, 98 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 27 Posts
I have a 1999 RX 10.9 in polished titanium. I found a great deal on one not too long ago. I'm enjoying it. My recent upgrade to it was to give it a new set of wheels (ROL D'Huez).

The frame was built for Mongoose in the USA by TST/Sandvik in Kennewick, Washington. the workmanship and welds are superb, and it rides and performs great.

The drivetrain is Shimano Dura Ace 7700 9 speed. I'm glad to read about other owners out there, as you don't often run into another one of these in the wild.

Likes For Warren128:
Old 11-28-19, 07:04 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by mousemeat
...sadly, Pacific Cycle, also owns Schwinn, and Cannondale.....only a matter of time, before they cheapen down cannondale...and have those bikes for sale in similar places...
I strongly doubt that you'll see that happen. A few years after Pacific Cycle acquired Mongosse, Pacific Cycle were bought by Dorel Industries. Dorel bought Cannondale about 2008. Dorel has a two layered strategy for bicycles and divides their brands between those marketed though bicycle shops and those marketed through box store chains. Cannondale has always been one of their premium brands and they continue to market Cannondale as a world class bicycle, sponsoring many pro teams. The last trade report that I saw had Cannondale ranked as the #4 brand in sales, So, unless Dorel purchases Giant, Trek or Specialized, I doubt you'll see the brand fall from grace.

Last edited by T-Mar; 11-28-19 at 07:13 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 11-30-23, 05:52 PM
DiaMongIbis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mongoose Pro Massif

I was lucky to bump into one. Beautiful blasted titanium and red decals, fork, and bottle holders. I will be converting it to a road bike