Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Plantar fascia

Old 01-16-20, 08:29 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Plantar fascia

What are your techniques for fixing this issue? Thanks in advance.

I’m using the tennis ball today and planning on getting some lacrosse balls tomorrow and trying those to help losen the foot up.
Old 01-16-20, 08:41 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
Put a bowl or bucket of ice water somewhere where you can stick your foot in it and leave it there for as long as possible (15-30 minutes). I used a regular hardball baseball for the massaging. Once you have soaked your foot, take it out and t put your heal on top of the ball and start making circles.

After having this for about a year and not knowing what it was I went and saw a podiatrist. These were his instructions and it worked for me. In under 2 weeks I was cured.
Old 01-16-20, 08:44 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Put a bowl or bucket of ice water somewhere where you can stick your foot in it and leave it there for as long as possible (15-30 minutes). I used a regular hardball baseball for the massaging. Once you have soaked your foot, take it out and t put your heal on top of the ball and start making circles.

After having this for about a year and not knowing what it was I went and saw a podiatrist. These were his instructions and it worked for me. In under 2 weeks I was cured.

thanks.
Old 01-16-20, 08:50 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Tried all the exercises-and orthotics anti-inflammatory pain reliever. Nothing worked except a cortisone shot. One shot and it went away and 3 years later still hasn't returned.
Old 01-16-20, 09:57 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I got one of those boots to wear when sleeping, to hold the ankle at 90 degrees. Almost immediate relief the next morning. Wore it until the pain was completely gone, then I continued with it for a few months just because I never wanted to experience that again. That was almost 9 years ago now. So far so good.
Old 01-17-20, 12:36 AM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
The treatment is often determined by "what kind or what is causing the plantar fasciitis. For instance, the cause can lie in your plantar fascia or your plantar fasciitis can be caused by tight and irritated fascia in the calf that refers pain to the plantar fascia.

If the cause is in the foot it is usually, not only, rooted in the fascia attachment to the medial part of the foot at the heal. A corticoid steroid shot will often do it. If you get a shot you may or may not need to rest the foot heel a bit. Sometimes the fascia needs rehabilitating and the actual best treatment is to wear very high heel shoes or boots, like a cowboy boot heel. All the fascia in your body, yeah, all of it, is all connected to each other.
Old 01-17-20, 05:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I lost 140 pounds and it cleared right up.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-17-20, 06:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
The plantar fascia is the tissue. Assume he means plantar fasciitis, which is inflammation of that tissue. Stretch the calf 24/7. My ortho suggested one trick while at work: Stretch every time the phone rings and every time you get an email. And stretch before you get out of bed in the morning if it bad when you wake up.
Old 01-17-20, 06:05 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
This past year I finally got it cleared up. Rollers on the calves, extensively. Foot stretches. Also, when you are sitting take a hand towel and start scrunching it with your toes. I also have a spiked ball I roll the bottom of the foot on. As to cause, mine was running related, but some applies elsewhere. Shoes do make a difference, I was only running in minimalist. On the bike, check seat height and how this affects the foot angle at the ankle. Nothing is overnight, it is a process.
Old 01-17-20, 06:54 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I fill a half-liter pop bottle with water and freeze it, then roll my socked foot on it a time or two each day. Stretching at night helps too -- in some ways plantar faciitis is similar to a sore Achilles tendon - it's an injury caused by not keeping the tendons loose. Wearing a Strassburg Sock at night might help.
Old 01-17-20, 07:38 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I installed 3/8" heel lifts in all of my shoes. That plus doing heel-drop stretches eliminated the pain within a few months. Hasn't returned for over 10 years.
Old 01-17-20, 07:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
That plus doing heel-drop stretches eliminated the pain within a few months. Hasn't returned for over 10 years.
Another good exercise my ortho recommended. I used the bottom stair in my house since there is a railing I could hold onto.
Old 01-17-20, 09:34 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
I got it wearing a pair of Gel insole shoes for a week. I have a high instep so that was my mistake. Went to a podiatrist. The cordisone shot was a possible fix but I did the stretching, tape and ball message route. Doc showed me how to do the tape. Oh also changed shoes before going to the Doc. Did not help. Took over a year to get right. Also can go barefoot. Along the way I Got Powerstep Protech Control inserts for my shoes. The non prescription versions off Amazon. Tried others. Hope you get well. And after stretching I could still ride.
Old 01-17-20, 10:30 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
This past year I finally got it cleared up. Rollers on the calves, extensively. Foot stretches. Also, when you are sitting take a hand towel and start scrunching it with your toes. I also have a spiked ball I roll the bottom of the foot on. As to cause, mine was running related, but some applies elsewhere. Shoes do make a difference, I was only running in minimalist. On the bike, check seat height and how this affects the foot angle at the ankle. Nothing is overnight, it is a process.
great info?

roller balls appear to be helping me sone
Old 01-17-20, 11:11 AM
BLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Plantar Fasciitis is all in the foot between the heel and toes. The tissue that connects the heel to the toes is where the problem is. The tissue relaxes or shortens when you sleep.When you get out of bed and walk the tissue tears and tries to pull away from the bone. This is also the cause of heel spurs. The bone tries to repair the tear and grows out to the tissue causing the spur. You need to stretch the tissue before walking so it doesn't tear. Rolling your foot on a ball or soup can( I use a cast iron dumb bell) before you walk will stretch the tissue without tearing. If you walk before stretching the damage is done and you will have pain until you let the tissue completely relax and repair itself. Shoe inserts for Plantar Fasciitis help too, but you need to stretch before you walk.
Old 01-17-20, 11:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
great info?

roller balls appear to be helping me sone

I know this won't be a popular answer, but some sort of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory like Motrin or aspirin are a good idea in conjunction with all of the above. Tylenol is absolutely useless here as it is not anti-inflammatory.
Old 01-17-20, 12:13 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I know this won't be a popular answer, but some sort of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory like Motrin or aspirin are a good idea in conjunction with all of the above. Tylenol is absolutely useless here as it is not anti-inflammatory.
Vitamin I deficiency.

Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 01-17-20, 01:01 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 408 Posts
I have had good luck using/sleeping in a 'night splint.' I had tried the Strousburgh sock, but didn't like the way it pulled my toes up...which became uncomfortable rather quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-Athle...77808258&psc=1

Dan
Old 01-17-20, 01:22 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

but I don’t mind pain and suffering (that’s part of bicycle riding)
Old 01-17-20, 01:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy

but I don’t mind pain and suffering (that’s part of bicycle riding)

When my feet have been bad, bicycling might be just about the least painful thing I could do.

I'm strictly a platform pedal guy, in part because I find shifting my foot position from time to time is actually a good comfort measure on a really long ride.

A little pain goes with any physical activity, but I ain't into suffering. If I really want to suffer, i'll listen to the music at my gym. Whoever programs it has a thing for Brittany Spears,
Old 01-17-20, 03:59 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

When my feet have been bad, bicycling might be just about the least painful thing I could do.

I'm strictly a platform pedal guy, in part because I find shifting my foot position from time to time is actually a good comfort measure on a really long ride.

A little pain goes with any physical activity, but I ain't into suffering. If I really want to suffer, i'll listen to the music at my gym. Whoever programs it has a thing for Brittany Spears,
Flat pedals do help me with this. Clipping in has been more painful. I don’t know if I’m good enough to do a 30 mile group road ride with flats. I might be a mile or two behind the pack.
Old 01-17-20, 05:12 PM
Phoenix800

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
I suffered with plantar fasciitis for about five years. I tried the night time boot, stair stretch, golf ball, frozen water bottle, etc. Nothing helped. I gave up hiking. I couldn't stand up at work. I took a lot of ibuprofen. I finally stumbled on a video on youtube. If you search for 'athlean x plantar fasciitis' you can find it. Out of desperation I tried the simple stretch explained in the video. After about two weeks of stretching my plantar fasciitis was almost completely gone. Also, I use Dr. Scholls Plantar Fasciitis insoles in all of my shoes.
Old 01-18-20, 03:32 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The plantar fascia is the tissue. Assume he means plantar fasciitis, which is inflammation of that tissue. Stretch the calf 24/7. My ortho suggested one trick while at work: Stretch every time the phone rings and every time you get an email. And stretch before you get out of bed in the morning if it bad when you wake up.
+1

I would also like to include a product that helps is Aspercream to help relieve inflammation. I would also go to Amazon and get superfeet insoles. If you are wearing hard cycling shoes, ditch them fast or you'll never get better!
Old 01-18-20, 07:26 PM
andcarrotrope

Bikes: 2017 Felt Verza Speed 10

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I've found that push ups help a lot
Old 01-18-20, 08:03 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by andcarrotrope
I've found that push ups help a lot
i like pushups

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.