Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What to do with 90's hybrid bike

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Do nothing - leave it as is
9.09%
Just get a new bike
54.55%
Replace with used 200GS
0%
Replace like-for-modern-day-like
9.09%
Replace with random parts-bin components
9.09%
Replace with new complete groupset
9.09%
Complete overhaul
9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-21, 08:03 AM
skimmilk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all!

I have a 1992 Trek 820 Antelope, which has a rather heavy cr-mo steel frame and a Shimano 200GS groupset. The drivetrain components are slowly but surely failing after nearly thirty years, and the canti brakes aren't holding up too well either, especially compared to modern side-pull brakes. The bike gets used for very short distance rides and light gravel, but nothing more.

I'm willing to spend $150 or less on refurbishing it, not including paint and sandblasting, if it comes down to that. I have already replaced the tires, tubes, and cables.

So, I'd like your opinions! (And I know what a risk it is to ask the Internet for an opinion)
  • Is this bike simply past its prime and not worth salvaging? If it is, should I just bite the bullet and get another bike to replace it or just keep riding it 'til it don't ride no more
  • If you think it'd still be cool to restore it back to its former glory, should I:
    • Go used-parts hunting: a Shimano 200GS for less used Shimano 200GS
    • Replace like-for-like: a Shimano 200GS for a modern-day equivalent, like Shimano Tourney - I'm not leaning towards this option to begin with, and I don't like 3x
    • Replace with a tier-up: A Shimano 200GS for a mich-mash of components like V-brakes, a new cassette, and a 1x chainring on the front
    • Replace with a complete groupset: A Shimano 200GS for something complete like a Box Three or Box Four groupset, along with V-brakes and a 1x chainring on the front
    • Go all out: Tear down the bike (I already have the tools), get it resprayed and laquered, and replace everything with a Box Three or Box Four groupset
Thank you for your opinions! I'll have a poll on this post so you can reply that way, or provide other ideas!
Old 05-11-21, 08:30 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
You left out the most important data point of all - if and how you use the bike now.

It doesn't make any sense to me to spend a lot of money on a bike that you don't like anymore. It also makes no sense to me to ignore or even replace a bike just because you've enjoyed and loved it for a long time.
Old 05-11-21, 08:56 AM
skimmilk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skimmilk
The bike gets used for very short distance rides and light gravel, but nothing more.
To elaborate more, I do ride this bike very regularly, but never more than a few K's at a time. However, I do use this bike on a daily basis.
Old 05-11-21, 09:12 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
I see little value in making a bike into what it wasn't intended to be when it involves more cost then the used value of the bike. Unless this bike has some intangible value and is already very close to what one wants, after sinking $ into it, I say move it along to someone else. Andy
Old 05-11-21, 09:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Hybrid bikes started out as a cross between an off-road mountain bike and a road bike. I can only see that as a bike with less than desirable qualities for either genre of cycling.

If you ride off the paved roads and trails, you need something for off road. If you ride paved roads, even paved roads in the mountains, you need a bike for paved roads.

If you wish to combine the two, then maybe a cross bike or gravel bike might fill the need, but I'd still buy a bike for the specific type of riding I'm going to do the most with it.

Though the geometry of Hybrids might at a glance look like you can just put drop bars on them and have a road bike, that isn't so all the time. Tube lengths and stuff is a little different on them.
Old 05-11-21, 10:42 AM
skimmilk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totally agree. That Trek is my clunker, commuting bike. I have a superbike that I use for actual decent rides on the road.
Old 05-11-21, 11:46 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'd get it into the best possible state of lubrication and adjustment, then leave it and go for N+1. The problem with gradual upgrades is you're stuck with the component standards of that era, and whatever odd parts you can find that will fit. Don't overlook brake pads.
Old 05-11-21, 12:06 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 43 Posts
Perform a tune up, replace cables and pads, and call it a day; leave the rest as-is for a nice grocery getter or a lender. Splurge on a newer bike with the specs desired; it'll be cheaper in the long run. Good luck!
Likes For Juan el Boricua:
Old 05-12-21, 04:48 AM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I just acquired 2 Trek 820's.
The first I found in a neighbor's trash. It was clapped out and needed new gears, brakes, wheels, bearings and cables. And the seat-post was stuck like Excalibur's sword. But I found another MTB with 3x7 Sram parts and got it going and gave it to a friend as an urban go-getter/gravel bike.
Another friend commented on how good this bike rode so I got another for $40. This one was fine and had original GS200 components and it rides great after a quick tune up and new cables (it already had kool-stop pads).
My verdict? This model is a keeper.
Another friend just bought a $1700 Surley Troll and there's not much between them. Sure, it has disc brakes and a modern 1x drivetrain but they ride similar and the weight is not that much different. I concur with others here who say new cables, good brake pads (like kool-stop) and replace the derailleur with whatever you can find but its worth looking for a 2nd hand Deore or similar quality. This bike is from the golden era of bikes when they still had unbreakable, no-suspension CrMo frames, modern drivetrains which shift and brake well and parts that are still super easy to source and work on.
Old 05-12-21, 06:08 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
10 years ago I would have said to go buy good (XT, LX) used 1990’s components and build it back up. Unfortunately the price of older parts has become obscene; and tough to find. I was floored recently when I went looking for some Avid SD7 V-brakes, actually any higher quality V-brakes.

The biggest issue is what are you going to spend on a new bike, and what is your return in use if the new bike is used a few K’s at a time.

I would probably test out a few newer bikes, if you can, to see if you prefer the ride and newer components. Then just decide where you want to put your money.

John
Old 05-12-21, 11:28 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by skimmilk
I'll have a poll on this post so you can reply that way, or provide other ideas!
Poll selection #1 and #2 should not be mutually exclusive. Actually, per Bike Forums wisdom, selection #2 should not be mutually exclusive with any of the other selections.
Old 05-12-21, 11:56 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
It shouldn't be that hard to keep an old Trek 820 going. Whatever parts you can find, old parts bin, NOS or equivalent new gear like Altus should all work. FWIW, I don't see anything wrong with Cantilever brakes. Just replace the cables if they are frayed or worn, and new pads and you should be good to go.
Old 05-12-21, 12:56 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
You've already put new tires, tubes and cables on it so those costs have been made. I'd clean up, lube and adjust the bearings, add new brake pads and ride it until something really major need to be replaced.