Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clunker 100 Challenge COVID 2.0 edition #7

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Clunker 100 Challenge COVID 2.0 edition #7

Old 06-28-21, 04:40 AM
darnet

Bikes: 4 Raleigh's (1 International, 3 Super Course), 2 Miyata (610, Alumicross), one each Bianchi Eros, Fuji Cross Pro, Lotus Excelle, Paramount Series 7 Carbon,Specialized Sirrus Comp, Trek something mountain bike, Univega Super Strada, Wheeler Tremosinep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
Had to spend a few $$ today to continue the challenge. I’d mapped out (what I thought was about) a 12+ mile loop, following the Souhegan River in Amherst, NH. Started at Ponemah Green golf course in Amherst, rode to Souhegan Woods Golf Course, and back via Seaverns Bridge Road. Very early on, on Boston Post Road, at about mile 1.7, bike started feeling sluggish, I looked down and saw the flat front tire. Good news was that I was equipped for that, with a patch kit, a spare tube outright, and a CO2 inflator (put in my saddle bag since I’d lost my frame pump in someone’s lawn earlier in the challenge).

Bad news was that the flat tube was cut at the valve stem, so not patchable. Recall that the front wheel was not original, 700c versus 27”. Yet it did have a Schraeder valve, maybe the rim was drilled sloppily for the larger valve stem? I haven’t looked closely. While fussing with the tire, a nice lady riding a triathlon bike rode by from the opposite direction, asked if I was ok, I said yes I guessed so, so she rode on. I put in the spare tube (another $5 added to bike, actual cost from Play it Again Sports) and inflated it, removed the inflator and all the air leaked out. To my relief, I pressed on the little stem in the valve core with an allen wrench, and it re-seated and held air. So, I inflated it again (using up my CO2 cartridge). After internal debate as to whether to surrender to fate and return to ride another day, I continued on.

I only made three wrong turns the rest of the way (still struggling with left and right), and I did complete the ride, thinking I’d finished the challenge. Only other incident was at the four-way stop of County Road and Thornton’s Ferry Road II, when my leg knocked the water bottle out of its cage.

After a planned side trip to the Ponemah Bog, I was on the last leg of the ride on Stearns Road, when I was passed by a rider going the opposite direction, the same lady who’d offered to help me earlier.

Not sure why, but when I got home and retraced the route on G-Map Pedometer, I’d completed but 11.8 miles -- my mileage total was only 99.5 kilometers! Sadly, I still need to ride another ½ kilometer to finish the challenge.

ET
[update -- I uneventfully completed the final 1/2k early this a.m.]

Final Cost Tally:
Bike: $40 (what I actually paid; was listed at $45 on CL, I asked, "will you take $40?")
Freewheel (32 tooth): $8 (Colorado Bicycle)
Crank (right side), Bottom Bracket, and Seat Post: $10 (actually paid; was listed at $5 on CL, I tried to offer more but seller wouldn't have it)
Tube for flat front tire encountered during ride: $5 (Play-it-Again-Sports)
Actually spent: $63 (plus shipping)
Front Derailleur, Rear Derailleur, Left side crank arm, pedals, seat: donated from Fuji
Hypothetically spent: $25 (assigned $5 for each item, since (1) -- I could have used (and don't know why I didn't) the derailleurs that were there in the $5 ($10) box; and (2) -- LH crank arm is worth no more than RH drive side crank; and (3) -- pedals and seat are worth no more each than a derailleur or crank).
Total claimed spent: $88

I have always loved riding my other Super Course(s), so I’m surprised how much I want to get off this bike and ride something else. I really tired of the assorted creeks and clicks and the flexing of the home-made front shifter, but mostly the steering never seemed to feel like a Super Course should. I might remove the wheels that came with it and install a matching set with good tires, and go for a test ride to see if that seems to make a difference. I might also measure the frame closely and compare with my other one (two).

Last edited by darnet; 06-28-21 at 05:14 AM.
Old 06-28-21, 07:34 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
Round Two done!

For a variety of reasons, I left all the bikes at home last week while away on the big family beach trip, so I was refreshed and rested and ready this morning when I set out for Hodges at 5:59 a.m. I was booking along Dixie Drive when I saw my compatriots at the side of the road, stopped and got a photo. There are three of us if one includes the one behind the camera -

- then onward, onward, shifting around between the 21, 19 and 17T cogs and wondering if I would ever successfully dial in the indexed shifting. There were more cars on the road as the morning wore on, but everyone was cool and chill, even the guys driving the Republic garbage trucks. I rolled on into Hodges and took the obligatory photo in its scenic central business district -

- then took a detour to Jackson Station, once the greatest edge-of-the-world bar in the Southeast, the combination biker joint, blues bar, new wave stage and gay bar with a mindblowingly huge menu of international beers where back in the '80s I learned everything I knew about electric blues guitar playing from Muddy Waters sideman Bob Margolin, Tinsley Ellis, and especially Max Drake of Arhooly. Maybe now that there's a book out about it someone will purchase the place and bring it back to life.

I returned home with 13.45 miles, which brought my total mileage on this bike to 103.3 km. To recap, I'm at $51.96 total spending -

$35.00 - initial purchase
$1.96 - four M5 bolts from Lowe's
$1.00 - Miche Monolithic crank scavenged from trash-picked bike
$6.00 - housing
$4.00 - rear brake cable
$2.00 - used toe clips from the stash (from some long-forgotten part-out)
$2.00 - used white bottle cages (technically free, and if memory serves they were used and cheap when initially purchased)

- which is good. I think I have a lead on a front wheel that is a reasonable match for the rear, and someday when tires aren't quite so pricey I'll acquire some 28 mm Paselas - they DO fit! - and perhaps even some nicer bar tape. In all honesty, this bike deserves a more thorough cleaning and polishing. I've enjoyed riding it, enough so that some earlier clunkers will be leaving to make a more permanent space for this one.
Old 06-28-21, 08:03 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,862 Posts
Once again, great pictures and job! rustystrings61
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 06-30-21, 02:59 PM
Blues

Bikes: Some vintage and all projects. Geezer road, road, cruise, some gravel, not much mountain.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Wife has entered, unofficially

Thank you "Narhay" for the instigating the 100 Clunker Challenge this year.

My wife came with some brand "X" boat anchor bicycle. It's been in the barn until now. Recently, I sincerely looked at it to determine what would make it usable and it quickly became evident it would cost more than an new bike.

So in my constant watch for cool N+1 bicycles, I ran across a 90's Trek 850 in her size. I cleaned and lubed the wheel and head bearings, trued the wheels, lubed the seat tube and stem. I put new brake pads on her brakes, and a "mustache" handle bar off my old Bar Cruiser bike. At some point, someone had put newer than late 90's all purpose tires on her bike. So, it's under the $100 budget, but she hasn't ridden it yet. In fact at this point, I've only seen her ride a bike one time.

When I showed it to her, I was surprised that she was delighted with the old flat purple Mountain CX Track bike. But alas, she found out on the test ride she couldn't abide the stock saddle, but otherwise was happy with the bicycle and stated "with a comfortable saddle I can ride 100 miles, too". [I had been talking to her about me doing the 100 Clunker Challenge.] I recognized that making the right move here, was potentially going to get me a riding partner. I quickly installed a proper woman's saddle. I just neglected to mention to her that we were now well over the $100 budget for her entry.

Her first four rides were over various parts of my normal 5 mile, hilly neighborhood route and she enjoyed zooming down the hills. She had never shifted gears on a bicycle. Once I explained how shifting the gears worked, she picked it up quickly. I really set the bicycling hook on a 4 mile local green way ride. And, today she led most of the 10 miles we rode on another local green way and is carefully tallying up her miles. She'll be 70 years old this week.

Thank you all for your contributions!

Another Fred

Last edited by Blues; 07-01-21 at 02:59 PM. Reason: corrected model #
Likes For Blues:
Old 07-01-21, 06:27 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 497 Times in 253 Posts
Now that she passed the 100 Kilometer mark, we need a picture of the bike. Even if she is an honorary Clunker rider, we all like pics. Don
Old 07-01-21, 08:48 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Now that she passed the 100 Kilometer mark, we need a picture of the bike. Even if she is an honorary Clunker rider, we all like pics. Don
Yes, please! Repurposed old bikes are our bag here!
Old 07-01-21, 02:57 PM
Blues

Bikes: Some vintage and all projects. Geezer road, road, cruise, some gravel, not much mountain.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Wife's unoffical entry

Wife has only gone 28 miles so far. The important part of this is I was able to fit the bike to her so she could ride comfortably. When we get our age, any kind of activity is a very good thing. Our regular riding roads are roughly paved and hilly so this bike is very appropriate for her.

In taking the photo, I realized the bike is a Trek 850 Mountain XC Track. [I corrected the original post.] I don't know the year. I also noticed, I switched to thumb shifters that were in my parts box. This bike was a very lucky find and in great shape. Who would have guessed she would take up bicycling at 70 years old.

A large benefit for me is that riding with her keeps me in my Zone 2 heart rate range. I can do my interval rides by myself.

Thanks again! I've enjoyed lurking over the last year.
Fred

Last edited by Blues; 07-01-21 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Clarity
Likes For Blues:
Old 07-01-21, 04:15 PM
ollo_ollo

Looks like a perfect bike to rack up the miles. With old age, I have learned to appreciate fat tires and slowly switched all my bikes over to the biggest tires that will fit. Keep posting, you will reach 100 km quickly, 28 mi is almost halfway. Sorry I misread your prior post as she had done 70 miles! Don
Old 07-01-21, 09:39 PM
habes78023 

Bikes: Constant rotation, Currently: 2009 Felt FC, 1999 Stumpjumper, Serotta KOM, Eisentraut Rainbowtraut, Trek 400 commuter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
So after days of rain, my bad fortune with cars pushed me to get Bumblebeena on the road...

$40 initial purchase.
$13.48 cables, because I don’t want to die.
$7.89 saddle...switched this in for the 13.76 Selle Italia Q-Tip or what ever it is even the yellow looked cool. Had to save money.
$14.00 Gatorskins...I used a mixture of BS and sound accounting for the value on these...I got it with a lot that included 5 fixie pizza delivery bikes with rims and tires, and then handed these off with a few other suspect fixie tires...all for $75.00. I think I may be too generous, but thought I’d be fair...and it was a nice round number. Andy wanted me too enter more bikes to reduce the cost...I decided to reduce the cost since my knees can’t handle 6 challenges!
$0.48 reclaimed black handlebar tape...it’s actually cool feeling. Cost pulled from my buttocks..
10.00 Look pedals. Used the full cost of an add on lot to a previous purchase. Bought tools, got two garbage bags full of niceties. Could have used all black SPDs from the same lot...thought I’d try the Look...reserving the right to switch out but they felt pretty good. Had to figure out the took Delta cleats...
$0.60 bee stickies. Pricing for 10 in case they fall off or I need some to plug some rust...
$86.45

OK, I think it's kind of funny, but I just bought a Tri-A this weekend at a garage sale... Very similar to yours but not sure I can compete on the $86 price tag. might be a good challenge though..

I may just have to try.. I'll take stock this weekend and see what I can do.
Old 07-02-21, 12:59 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Originally Posted by habes78023
OK, I think it's kind of funny, but I just bought a Tri-A this weekend at a garage sale... Very similar to yours but not sure I can compete on the $86 price tag. might be a good challenge though..

I may just have to try.. I'll take stock this weekend and see what I can do.
i have more bumblebee stickers if needed...Also some red ladybug ones as well...

Let me know...! Hee hee...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 07-02-21, 03:05 PM
cog_nate 
"SURE!"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 36 Posts
Bianchi Sport SS
As purchased:

The numbers:

(Image because the table I pasted in showed up as nonsene in preview.)

As ready to ride:

As on the trail:

I cleared 54 miles in one day on this, so halfway there. It's fun, but the stem is much too long and 23mm tires were not great on the damp-ish gravel trail. The blue paint is quite lovely, I don't think these pictures do it justice.

Last edited by cog_nate; 07-02-21 at 03:07 PM. Reason: wrong initial image
Likes For cog_nate:
Old 07-04-21, 01:03 AM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 180 Posts
Finally managed to get around to finishing the 760. jdawginsc thanks for correcting me, all I needed was a 7mm allen key to get the cranks off. No real surprises this time around thank goodness; English-threaded bottom bracket was dry but in good condition. In the spirit of being as cheap as possible I reused some old bar tape from yet another project that I sold. I swapped the freewheel from another wheel I had on hand as well since the old one was making a funny noise, plus the gearing is more hill-friendly.
I mounted some additional bits I either already had on hand or bought from Craigslist and the co-op.

Sorry for the bad photo quality, all the photos were taken at night. Avocet racing saddle was $5 from the co-op; leather (?) was starting to come off the bottom, hopefully it will hold out by the end of this challenge. The Avocet saddle is also shorter than the one that came with the bike which is helpful since the seatpost won't go any lower.

A freebie. I hope it doesn't look too tacky on an already purple frame.

Another freebie. It came off an old touring bike that I sold to a friend. Interior is crumbling and the stitching is starting to fray, but the exterior is still solid.

A Cateye Mity 3, one of my favorite bike computers. Bought off Craigslist for $5 after some haggling. Replaced the battery for $4.64.

The bike is finally complete. Not too bad looking from the distance.
Aside from that nasty incident with the freewheel everything went OK. A quick spin around the block revealed no massive flaws, although the cranks did need a bit of tightening; I'll probably have to keep the 7mm allen key with me at all times. The ride quality was surprising, I was not expecting the 760 to be so comfortable, considering the tight geometry and thin tires. It oddly doesn't encourage hard riding compared to my Miyata 1000, but maybe a ride on some twisties will change my mind. I hope to get some more time to ride, but summer courses and strong winds in the Bay Area are preventing me from doing too much.
So far, including the cost of the bike, I'm $64.64 in, which really isn't too bad as this will be a keeper. That gives me plenty of wiggle room in case something happens. I'm pretty happy with how things have turned out, all things considered.

Last edited by philpeugeot; 07-04-21 at 01:11 AM.
Likes For philpeugeot:
Old 07-06-21, 09:55 AM
rustystrings61 

on past 100 km!!

I finished the challenge but the bike continues rolling on. I brought Magenta with me to Edisto and rode down to the vacation rental office yesterday.

On the way back I swung over to the sandy dirt road closest to the marsh side. It was a classic 23 mm tire fail, but there was a handy paved bike trail that saved me. This was the reward -

I’m now at 131 km and hope to get in a lot more soon. Total expense jumped to $66.96 when I splurged on a new chain to quiet the chatter - I think what was probably the original 6-speed U-glide chain was too wide for the 7-speed cassette. The generic KMC chain helps.

I know - mid-grade bike built to a price point that has led a hard life. It’s still a whopping lot of fun to ride.
Old 07-06-21, 10:25 AM
habes78023 

Bikes: Constant rotation, Currently: 2009 Felt FC, 1999 Stumpjumper, Serotta KOM, Eisentraut Rainbowtraut, Trek 400 commuter

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
i have more bumblebee stickers if needed...Also some red ladybug ones as well...

Let me know...! Hee hee...
Went garage sailing this past weekend (two weekends ago now) since the weather was too hot to do much else. Ended up finding some bike components at one sale and then this Nishiki as they were packing away the final sale I went to.

Ended up with it for $60. Didn’t have this challenge in mind but have enjoyed being a fly on the wall seeing everyone else post about their finds and work, and when I saw jdawginsc had the twin to this one on the East coast, I knew I better jump in.

As found, only added some air in the tubes I definitely appreciate the newer tires, that will make this sub 100 challenge much more doable.

Full shimano 600

No bumblebee stickers needed, but might up the style some.
Old 07-06-21, 12:23 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bumblebeena approves! She is happy to see her twin, and is willing to share stickers if you change your mind...she’s a bit jealous about seeing operational pedals with dust caps...

Originally Posted by habes78023
Went garage sailing this past weekend (two weekends ago now) since the weather was too hot to do much else. Ended up finding some bike components at one sale and then this Nishiki as they were packing away the final sale I went to.

Ended up with it for $60. Didn’t have this challenge in mind but have enjoyed being a fly on the wall seeing everyone else post about their finds and work, and when I saw jdawginsc had the twin to this one on the East coast, I knew I better jump in.

As found, only added some air in the tubes I definitely appreciate the newer tires, that will make this sub 100 challenge much more doable.

Full shimano 600

No bumblebee stickers needed, but might up the style some.

Old 07-09-21, 12:50 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
I've been on the east coast for a few weeks away from my bikes, but I was back in Beaverton today before heading the the Oregon Coast. I took my Gios out for a ride, and used the occasion to document something I've known for a while about the color I ended up painting the Takara. I didn't mean to do this, but from the first sample spray it was a clear match for patina-laden Gios Blue.

Old 07-09-21, 05:55 AM
ollo_ollo

Amazing match Andy. Don
Old 07-09-21, 12:30 PM
Andy_K 

Amazing match Andy. Don
Yeah, it's kind of funny that with all the threads about matching Gios Blue I did it by accident.

Are you planning to join the Beaverton-Vernonia Clunker ride on July 24?
Old 07-10-21, 06:43 AM
ollo_ollo

Originally Posted by Andy_K
Yeah, it's kind of funny that with all the threads about matching Gios Blue I did it by accident.

Are you planning to join the Beaverton-Vernonia Clunker ride on July 24?
Unsure at this point, nothing on the calendar but wife mentioned getting togethers with 2 different sets of old friends EOM with no set date yet, so I'm still a maybe for Vernonia. Don
Old 07-11-21, 12:33 AM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 180 Posts
I finally did it, I went out for a ride on the 760. I didn't get to fully exploit the Trek's capabilities as I was riding with some friends who hadn't ridden in quite some time, but the ride was fun nonetheless. The 12-mile jaunt went without incident, so my wallet needn't worry yet. The 760 handled the course with aplomb, it was comfortable over the cracks and gaps in the road despite the narrow tires, yet danced eagerly around corners. It doesn't rival my Miyata's comfort, but the more nervous handling is a welcome change of pace.
The only real disappointment was the Campagnolo drivetrain. The Campy shifters shifted very smoothly, but the derailleurs themselves baulked when changing gear. I suppose I've been spoiled by Shimano and Suntour. I hope to report more as I continue riding.

Not many pics, just needed proof of my outing. Nothing has gone wrong...yet.
Old 07-17-21, 11:56 AM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
<sigh>

Fine. I'll toss some parts at this heap and try to get the miles in.

Be prepared for failure - either on the 'toss parts' step or actually riding it 62 miles.

It's a Raleigh Eclipse hybrid from the early 90's that I picked off of a trash heap by the side of the road several years ago. Going to be a single speed build with a BMX flavor.

Wish me luck.
Likes For RandolphCarter:
Old 07-17-21, 10:50 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
With my publicist @Andy_K pimping a 100km ride from Col d'Kaylor to Vernonia, I figgered it was time to enter the insane asylum of the Clunker Challenge. His ride is next weekend, so I figured it might be a good idea to start wrenching.

My selection is a 1976 Raleigh Super Course, picked up 2 years ago for $50 with the idea it would become a 1X townie/grocery getter bike. It's one of the rarer ones with a derailleur hanger rather than a claw. A little ratty when I picked it up, and almost nothing OEM for parts except for the main bearings, both of which are greased with something more like epoxy vs, well, grease.

52-48 TA crankset, SunTour VGT rear derailleur, Campy shifters, mismash of other parts. The B17 saddle is torn and shot, the BB and HS bearings are either full of not quite fully cured epoxy or th grease is less than most excellent.

Tear down showed the non-drive side crankarm was some Sugino thing. At least the brakes are maybe original.

First issue to resolve, this frame has Huret rear dropouts. I guess Nigel grabbed some from the Super Tourer/Competition bins and torched them in place. Problem: 4 o'clock derailleur stop, made for some Huret derailleurs. Jubilees are nice, but pricey, and I've done several conversions, brazing in some brass stock, filing it to a standard 7 o'clock stop position:

Frame cleaned up kinda ok, this will be a patina build.
Old 07-18-21, 01:41 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by gugie
First issue to resolve, this frame has Huret rear dropouts. I guess Nigel grabbed some from the Super Tourer/Competition bins and torched them in place. Problem: 4 o'clock derailleur stop, made for some Huret derailleurs.
Well, that would explain the angle of the derailleur in the picture. Do you think the previous owner rode it like that?
Old 07-18-21, 07:46 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
Well, that would explain the angle of the derailleur in the picture. Do you think the previous owner rode it like that?
There's all sorts of goofy going on with this bike. The seat post was flipped around backwards with the saddle slammed down close to the top tube. If you look at the pic, the B17 is pretty far forward. I think whoever rode it had way too big of a bike, at least in it's last permutation. SunTour was a common upgrade BITD, this one obviously done by someone who had more ambition than ability.
Old 07-18-21, 06:23 PM
Amocat223

Bikes: Gios

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've been on the east coast for a few weeks away from my bikes, but I was back in Beaverton today before heading the the Oregon Coast. I took my Gios out for a ride, and used the occasion to document something I've known for a while about the color I ended up painting the Takara. I didn't mean to do this, but from the first sample spray it was a clear match for patina-laden Gios Blue.

Wow , amazing match ... would you mind sharing what brand/name color code of paint you used and did you use red primer ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.