Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1987 Albert Eisentraut

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1987 Albert Eisentraut

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-21, 11:14 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by konakai
a pic of the serial number, are you doubting my word or my eyesight. my eyesight could be in question. I really don't know much about newer bikes, but I'm a wealth of useless information on 1920s 30s bikes and riders. that said I have little to no ego when it comes to these bikes. I don't ride much anymore, but I enjoy reading and researching about builders, bikes and riders. I had never heard of strawberry, they look like beautiful builds, I'll read up on them. I'll post a pic of the serial number tomorrow....thanks for your interest in my post
I doubt none of those, the font, placement and actual number are all relevant in their own right, especially visually, see to believe and evaluate, plain and simple.

I would encourage you to read up on Strawberry which is Andy Newlands, Jim Merz and Mark DiNucci, all three were self taught, started in the early 70's in PDX.

DiNucci worked for both the other two and was arguably the maestro of the early Strawberry aesthetic of very beautiful thinned lugs.

These three are responsible for PDX being an epicenter of frame building ever since.

As you may know, Bruce Gordon moved to Eugene OR for ten? years, I don't think it was a coincidence.

Merz, DiNucci and, yep Gordon going for a ride in PDX after he left Eisentraut.

Last edited by merziac; 09-29-21 at 09:02 AM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-28-21, 11:20 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Is it outside the realm of possibility that Albert, being a pioneering master frame builder, might have crafted this unique frame as a one of a kind custom design? Or perhaps as a very low production number, and consequently very obscure model line?
Old 09-29-21, 01:21 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by deux jambes
Is it outside the realm of possibility that Albert, being a pioneering master frame builder, might have crafted this unique frame as a one of a kind custom design? Or perhaps as a very low production number, and consequently very obscure model line?
As we all well know, nothing is outside the realm.

From where I'm sitting, the binder bolt and rear crown/fork are very, very similar to the very unique one of a kind Strawberry design.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...cles-54cm.html
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-29-21, 09:40 AM
konakai

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 41 Posts
here you go merziac

Likes For konakai:
Old 09-29-21, 10:08 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Super cool
Likes For himespau:
Old 09-29-21, 11:49 AM
merziac

@konakai

Excellent!

Tx, I stand corrected, my bad, that "E" leaves no doubt, I would have led with that.

And like I said, a visual often solves a lot of this as it did here.

Still can't imagine there isn't a Strawberry connection for the crown and the binder one way or the other, what do I know.
Old 09-29-21, 12:12 PM
konakai

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
@konakai

Excellent!

Tx, I stand corrected, my bad, that "E" leaves no doubt, I would have led with that.

And like I said, a visual often solves a lot of this as it did here.

Still can't imagine there isn't a Strawberry connection for the crown and the binder one way or the other, what do I know.
as far as leading with that, I wasn't in doubt or trying to prove the bike was an eisentraut , just jazzed getting it and wanted to show it.. it was a one owner built for him. as for the strawberry connection you could be on to something. who knows what eccentric builders did in the moment. it could be a one off. if you find any correlation to strawberry let me know. I love a good bike mystery
Likes For konakai:
Old 09-29-21, 12:15 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by konakai
as far as leading with that, I wasn't in doubt or trying to prove the bike was an eisentraut , just jazzed getting it and wanted to show it.. it was a one owner built for him. as for the strawberry connection you could be on to something. who knows what eccentric builders did in the moment. it could be a one off. if you find any correlation to strawberry let me know. I love a good bike mystery
Absolutely, very glad you did, me too and will do.

Tx again.
Old 09-29-21, 12:19 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Yup, that "E" in the BB shell is an Eisentraut trademark. Also, you can just see the FD cable coming off of the cable guide that is part of the shell itself, another Eisentraut give-away.

I suppose it is conceivable that it's a Strawberry built using an Eisentraut shell, but I am unware of Albert ever making these shells available to anyone else. Someone else likely will have more info on that.

Either way, that is a top-drawer bike there.

Last edited by bikingshearer; 09-29-21 at 01:09 PM.
Likes For bikingshearer:
Old 09-29-21, 01:10 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Yup, that "E:" in the BB shell is an Eisentraut trademark. Also, you can just see the FD cable coming off of the cable guide that is part of the shell itself, another Eisentraut give-away.

I suppose it is conceivable that it's a Strawberry built using an Eisentraut shell, but I am unware of Albert ever making these shells available to anyone else. Someone else likely will have more info on that.

Either way, that is a top-drawer bike there.
Fully agree, seems more likely it was built by Traut with Andy's crown and binder, can't imagine Andy using that BB shell, again what do I know.
Old 09-29-21, 07:12 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Agreed on the seller part but the binder is a pretty big outlier. I've done a pretty deep basic dive and cannot find any Eisentraut with this wishbone crown or binder. And while I am no Traut expert either, I do know quite a bit about Strawberry's, yours is a dead ringer for my black one in both regards.

I will reach out to Andy and see what he says but would really like a pic of the s/n to use too.
I think Strawberry has sold those seat binders to other builders for a long time.
Likes For Feldman:
Old 09-30-21, 12:16 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by Feldman
I think Strawberry has sold those seat binders to other builders for a long time.
I guess that tracks but I've never seen any except on his, you think crowns too?