Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Compact Handlebar Question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Compact Handlebar Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-22, 11:22 AM
TheFort

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by slowpacer
Keep in mind that a 150mm wide saddle does not necessarily mean 150mm seating area. And if you ride in an upright position you may need a wider saddle.
Thanks!

Is that because some taper at the sides? I am going to sign up for the saddle program at my bike shop next week when the weather warms up, so that will help narrow down that issue a lot. I have 14.5cm bones and riding a 14cm saddle right now, which I don't think is helping at all.
Old 02-21-22, 11:36 AM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TheFort
Thanks!

Is that because some taper at the sides? I am going to sign up for the saddle program at my bike shop next week when the weather warms up, so that will help narrow down that issue a lot. I have 14.5cm bones and riding a 14cm saddle right now, which I don't think is helping at all.
Yes, because some saddles taper more than others. For example i had an Ergon saddle speced at 172mm that i measured its seating area to be 162mm. My seatbones are about same as yours and i'm using one of their other saddles speced at 180mm +/- and it's just right for me for an upright riding. Seatbone measurement aside, there are other aspects to consider regarding a saddle, that's why it's best to try a few before buying one, as you intend to do.
Old 02-21-22, 05:16 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Cervelo used to have a doc on their website called something like 'Four and a half questions about saddles.' Their rule of thumb was that the saddle should be about 20 mm wider than the sitbones measurement. Most of us ride road bikes on our pubic rami because one usually has to lean forward to reach the handlebars, and those get narrower as they approach the pubic bone. Also, most men have sitbone widths of 100-140 mm, so 145 is unusual.

Probably doesn't matter much. The important thing is to get a saddle that seems to disappear (or at least doesn't cause pain), and that's mainly a matter of discarding options. Using width as a qualifying/disqualifying factor probably works better than most.
Old 03-01-22, 06:29 PM
steelywheelie

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I did not read all the replies.

But my .02 cents is that you’d probably be happier in the long run if you just sell it and get one with a smaller frame size that doesn’t require stem-slashing/etc. to get comfortable. I’ve played the stem-slashing game to reduce reach, swapped in 0-offset seatposts, tilted the dropbars up, nudged saddle forward on its rails, and other things in quest to reduce reach……..but I was never genuinely happy and satisfied until I bought a smaller frame bike that required none of the above. And when you get that fit truly correct …. feels great man!
Likes For steelywheelie:
Old 03-01-22, 06:31 PM
TheFort

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by steelywheelie
I did not read all the replies.

But my .02 cents is that you’d probably be happier in the long run if you just sell it and get one with a smaller frame size that doesn’t require stem-slashing/etc. to get comfortable. I’ve played the stem-slashing game to reduce reach, swapped in 0-offset seatposts, tilted the dropbars up, nudged saddle forward on its rails, and other things in quest to reduce reach……..but I was never genuinely happy and satisfied until I bought a smaller frame bike that required none of the above. And when you get that fit truly correct …. feels great man!
No, I finally figured out the issue. I'm on the proper frame by all metrics. It's just my legs are super long, and my torso is super short. I'll never fit properly on any stock bike. So when you guys see someone with a high rise stem, this could very well be the issue, so stop making fun of them! It's a bad genetic situation for us.
Old 03-01-22, 06:37 PM
steelywheelie

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Glad you got it sorted! No judgement here man! I definitely prefer some stem spacers and the stem angled up myself.
Likes For steelywheelie:
Old 03-01-22, 06:56 PM
TheFort

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by steelywheelie
Glad you got it sorted! No judgement here man! I definitely prefer some stem spacers and the stem angled up myself.
Thanks, I appreciate it!

I'm 45 and have weird body geometry, so I don't appreciate some of the looks I've gotten on the trails. : D
We should all probably be cognizant of this; people just need different things for their own reasons.