Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Propane Torch Set-Up

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Propane Torch Set-Up

Old 05-26-22, 02:22 PM
Nacho.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Propane Torch Set-Up

Hi all,

this is my very first post in this forum, but I´ve been profiting from the really good information for some time now.
So I have a few rookie questions, that I wasn´t able to find in the other posts. I´m planning to run a Propane + Oxygen Concentrator set up with a Harris 19-6 Torch. Together with the Torch I have Tips #2 #4 #5 #6 and a H Tip which is for heating up larger pieces.
The Harris 19-6 Torch comes already with check valves. I wanted to add extra safety and instead of having the check valves, just have flashback arrestors directly attached to the torch. My hose is not particularly long, but in case of any issue with this I won´t have my hose flying around spitting fire if something happens.
My local gas shop said I could use the same ones that I have for my regulators, as they are "bidirectional", but then the gas flow direction is in this case the opposite. Is this ok? Otherwise, I´d just keep the check valves.

The other question I have is regarding Oxygen Concentrators. I can only find 5L Concentrators that are affordable, the 10L ones are just too pricy. Is that enough volume, or better, do those build enough pressure? I guess either 5L or 10L would work at the same pressure, but just to be sure.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-22, 06:50 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think most people are using 5l/m concentrators.
As far as the valves go, I feel like they aren't bidirectional. But I'm not sure I understand what you want to do with them. Flashback arresters are intended to keep fire away from unburnt gasses, so it seems to me that it only makes sense to have them in the same orientation as the ones at your tanks.
And also, if fire is coming out of the torch, don't let go
Old 05-26-22, 09:54 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
Check valves/flashback arrestors are directional and designed so gas flows in only one direction and can not flow the other way. That is their purpose. A regulator flashback arrestor has a female fitting towards the regular and male threads towards the hose. A torch handle flashback arrestor has reverse fittings. Their fittings are male towards the hose and female towards to torch handle. It makes no sense to put a regulator arrestor on a torch handle because you would have to put adaptor fittings on each end to make that work.

My recommendation is to keep the check valves at the torch handle and put a flashback arrestor on the regulator on the propane tank. While very unlikely it is possible that your flame can cut the hose and the resulting fire find its way toward your propane tank making it a bomb. You don't need a flashback arrestor on the oxygen concentrator

5L oxygen concentrators have enough output for most tips. They can run rosebuds but not at full force.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 05-27-22, 04:15 AM
Nacho.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Welcome to the forum. I think most people are using 5l/m concentrators.
As far as the valves go, I feel like they aren't bidirectional. But I'm not sure I understand what you want to do with them. Flashback arresters are intended to keep fire away from unburnt gasses, so it seems to me that it only makes sense to have them in the same orientation as the ones at your tanks.
And also, if fire is coming out of the torch, don't let go
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Check valves/flashback arrestors are directional and designed so gas flows in only one direction and can not flow the other way. That is their purpose. A regulator flashback arrestor has a female fitting towards the regular and male threads towards the hose. A torch handle flashback arrestor has reverse fittings. Their fittings are male towards the hose and female towards to torch handle. It makes no sense to put a regulator arrestor on a torch handle because you would have to put adaptor fittings on each end to make that work.

My recommendation is to keep the check valves at the torch handle and put a flashback arrestor on the regulator on the propane tank. While very unlikely it is possible that your flame can cut the hose and the resulting fire find its way toward your propane tank making it a bomb. You don't need a flashback arrestor on the oxygen concentrator

5L oxygen concentrators have enough output for most tips. They can run rosebuds but not at full force.
Hi Doug, how´s it going? hope you are doing fine! I wrote you an email a couple of days ago asking about this. Finally, I´m trying to put into practice what I´ve learned in your class.
Thanks for the info! Do you let the oxygen concentrator run for a while first, with the open valve on the torch, then close shortly to light the propane and finally introduce the oxygen? Also, for shutting the torch off do you have any special procedure?
Old 05-27-22, 11:10 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
Fine thanks, I didn't get an email from you recently. Maybe you sent it to my old qtm.net address instead of my latest gmail.com address? I always forget to check my Juno account. Yes I let the concentrator run for a couple of minutes before using it so it will purge atmosphere air for nearly pure oxygen. I just leave the oxygen knob open before during and after lighting. In fact I seldom turn it off. No I don't use any special procedures to turn the flame off. I just turn it off. Remember not to add any extra force turning it ff. It isn't a leaky faucet and turning it too hard can damage the seal inside.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 05-29-22, 06:58 AM
Nacho.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Fine thanks, I didn't get an email from you recently. Maybe you sent it to my old qtm.net address instead of my latest gmail.com address? I always forget to check my Juno account. Yes I let the concentrator run for a couple of minutes before using it so it will purge atmosphere air for nearly pure oxygen. I just leave the oxygen knob open before during and after lighting. In fact I seldom turn it off. No I don't use any special procedures to turn the flame off. I just turn it off. Remember not to add any extra force turning it ff. It isn't a leaky faucet and turning it too hard can damage the seal inside.
Thanks Doug!
Old 05-29-22, 09:33 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
While my torch experience is Goldsmithing related, I concur with Doug Fattic. Check valves and flash arrestors are NEVER bi-directional! I agree with the configuration of having the flash arrestors at the regulator end of the torch hose and check valves at the torch end. Any “flash” arresting should be right before the fuel source rather than near the torch end. Hose failures or accidental cuts, along the hose, would negate the benefit of the flash arrestors. Ideally, the Propane tank will reside outside of the building and be supplied, via hose or rigid line, to the inside of the building and the torch. Most Fire Codes restrict Propane from being stored indoors due to its “heavier than air” properties. Propane gas detectors are available at RV suppliers/ dealers. Installing one or two in your workspace might not be a bad idea.
While it sounds improbable, 1lbs disposable bottles are legal to store indoors. For jewelry use, these little bottles have lasted for longer than a month. The POL tank fitting on the fuel regulator can be adapted to utilize these 1lbs tanks. There is something called a “reserve cylinder adapter” that will allow the disposable bottles to fit onto the regulator. These are designed to allow someone to finish cooking their steak on the grill with a 1lbs disposable bottle, when their 20lbs tank ran empty.
See:
https://www.amazon.com/GASPRO-Dispos...34169197&psc=1

Restrictions on storing propane gas indoors has been a major insurance and fire code issue for jewelry shops for years. This is how we manage the restrictions.
Good Luck!
Old 05-31-22, 05:56 AM
rellis

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use refillable 1 pound cylinders and the refill kit from flameking and have been pleased. My shop is in the garage under the house so no larger propane tanks inside.
A one pound refill will usually give torch time for a frame.
https://flameking.com/products/1lb-r...ble-program-2/