Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

the future of new bicycle buying

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-05-22, 08:52 AM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts

Ive heard, from BF & my LBS, that in the future, buying a new bicycle will be online with lots of choices. You will pick frame size, maybe color, wheels, components, etc. Then have it shipped directly to the buyer or a 3rd party for assembly. Does anybody have updates on this? When? How? Who?
Old 06-05-22, 09:22 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Many frame builders have been doing this for ... decades.
Who? the list is almost endless.
You just have to step out of the mainstream.
Old 06-05-22, 09:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
It seems that's where we are headed. Bikes shops that can adapt will still be service centers and sell cycling accessories and clothing. Pretty much of the same things many have already been doing. They just won't get the benefit of any new bike sales if there was a big benefit to them for that. Maybe big bike makers will put demo models in them test ride purposes.

Might be happening with automobiles too. I'd be happy to get rid of annoying dealership commercials on TV.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-05-22, 09:28 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
Ive heard, from BF & my LBS, that in the future, buying a new bicycle will be online with lots of choices. You will pick frame size, maybe color, wheels, components, etc. Then have it shipped directly to the buyer or a 3rd party for assembly. Does anybody have updates on this? When? How? Who?
What I truly see wrong with this direct to consumer model is BIKE FIT. Using the online size charts and guides does not replicate in any way actually sitting on the bike and pedaling around the block and up the nearest steep hill. Specialized charts suggested a SMALL for me. Not when test riding - MEDIUM was the size for comfort and fit. How do you determine that from a website? Yes, I know I'm spitting into the headwind but .....
Likes For kahn:
Old 06-05-22, 09:47 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
The assumption with a total online-model is that all consumers know what to order. In my experience looking at and buying used bikes for myself and others, as well as talking to people in various group rides, even when they're riding very nice bikes....MANY..approaching most sellers don't have a clue what they're selling(riding), even as it sits in front of them in bright sunshine. I see this even with higher-end-ish bikes. With prices continuing to rise in the mid-tier and up bikes(i.e approaching real money for many people), I don't see the average consumer dropping $1K and up online and hoping for the best. Those folks will still want to go to LBS and have someone guide them through the process.

For those that do know what they're ordering, they'll do so online..as they have been doing for quite a while now.
Old 06-05-22, 10:38 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,819 Times in 2,978 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
What I truly see wrong with this direct to consumer model is BIKE FIT. Using the online size charts and guides does not replicate in any way actually sitting on the bike and pedaling around the block and up the nearest steep hill. Specialized charts suggested a SMALL for me. Not when test riding - MEDIUM was the size for comfort and fit. How do you determine that from a website? Yes, I know I'm spitting into the headwind but .....
Pretty much all online sales allow a free swap if the sizing turns out to be wrong. At very worst your odds are 50/50 of getting it wrong.
Old 06-05-22, 10:51 AM
PeteHski

Depending on where you live it's been going in that direction for years. Even a lot of LBS sales are now generated from their online presence, shipped directly to the customer. Canyon are probably the best known direct to customer bike manufacturer, with no LBS channels.
Old 06-05-22, 11:31 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Possibly, depending on what kind of bike you are referring to. Where I live, in Europe, there's a LBS on every other corner. At least ten within a few miles. However, almost all of them are directed at everyday grocery and commuter bikes. Only a few with a selection of speciality bikes (mtb, road, gravel, cargo, etc.). I see no signs they are going away. Im sure the online marked will continue to thrive too. Customizing bikes to the customers preference is a welcome change to the one size fits all model.
Old 06-05-22, 04:38 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 352 Posts
This flies right in the face of the very satisfying experience of going to a shop, checking out different bikes, maybe riding a couple, getting advice, and then putting that brand new machine in the back of your car right then and there. No comparison. What you are suggesting is to move to the "pick out your car and wait for the factory to build it" model that has not worked well in the automotive industry.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 06-05-22, 04:45 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
This flies right in the face of the very satisfying experience of going to a shop, checking out different bikes, maybe riding a couple, getting advice, and then putting that brand new machine in the back of your car right then and there. No comparison. What you are suggesting is to move to the "pick out your car and wait for the factory to build it" model that has not worked well in the automotive industry.
i think scarcity (and selectiveness at the higher end of the market) changes this equation dramatically. having precisely specified and sized bikes randomly sitting in retail outlets where someone predicted they’d be sold is hardly good for anyone. if the supply/demand equation tilts back to normal and supply chain issues are resolved, perhaps there’s a better chance for the old school model to survive. we’ve bought 6 bikes in the last few years, a couple that we got lucky to be in stock at a preferred LBS in the right size, one completely direct to consumer, and two on a hybrid model that involved a test ride in person for sizing and features and then a wait to get the exact one sent to that shop directly from the manufacturer. for high end bikes, the latter model is the best, IMO.
Old 06-05-22, 05:01 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
...in the future, buying a new bicycle will be online
It's happening right now. There are several reputable on line bicycle sources. Bikes Direct being one of them. I have assembled a few of thier bikes for friends and they are a pretty good deal considering whats available in the market.

Talked to a guy over at Walmart. He says Walmart has doubled its orders on bicycles and can't get them assembled quick enough to keep a few on the floor. At a time some are complaining about long wait times and 1000 USD Plus price tags there are some that are out there just ridding.

I have had more then a few bring thier Walmart bike over for a going over and some of the things I have found are just laughable. Either errors in manufacture or errors in assembly, but all were fixable with a little time and tinkering.

Internet ordering of bicycles has been going on for years and so far I have seen some pretty good deals. Of course assembly is really important.

I am not a fan of Bicycle Dealerships with sales assistants more interested in financing than getting ya ridding.

So am I a fan of the Big Box Store or Discount Shopping franchise bicycles? Well, no, of course not. But if that's all ya got or all ya can get so be it... Get out there and ride...

Of course... You know this...
Old 06-05-22, 05:19 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
To do this at a lower price, you need a shift in the business model of making the product, not the distribution on this side of the ocean. Most bikes sold direct are single configurations with options supplied by different trim levels, for a lot of good manufacturing and shipping reasons. Ibis and Santa Cruz offer wheel upgrades, I just checked. But I'd guess they have that option ready to ship in a box already so it's really kind of another trim level. Diamondback had an online configurator a few years ago but I think it went out the window when they changed hands. It's a premium service that doesn't really fit with their brand. Obviously there's Project One. For a little while longer at least, I don't think you are going to see a lot more of this because covid supply chain yada yada.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-05-22, 05:22 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Ive heard, from BF & my LBS, that in the future, buying a new bicycle will be online with lots of choices. You will pick frame size, maybe color, wheels, components, etc. Then have it shipped directly to the buyer.
I did this sometime like 10 years ago with Ribble's online bike builder. Chose the "base" model, then spec'd up the groupset, wheels, tyres, etc.
Old 06-06-22, 12:04 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Quite a few European brands do it like that. Order a trekking bike and it will come with a 3x10 Alivio trekking groupset with cheap dynamo hub etc. You can upgrade to Deore or Deore XT with price increases, so there is a default model with cheaper components for those who are not sure.

Last edited by PDKL45; 06-06-22 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-06-22, 12:33 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
The chances of an LBS having the bike I want, in the right size and right spec sitting ready to go are very close to zero. In fact I've never had that experience in the last 30 years! I've always ended up with the shop having to order the bike in for me in the right size/spec and I'm not even super fussy or an extreme size. The shop advice received can range from very useful to complete horse crap and everything in between. I do miss the proper test ride experience that some shops used to offer i.e. borrow for the weekend, not just a useless ride up and down the parking lot. But most shops here now don't really do proper test rides. You actually get a better test ride when buying online due to our distance selling laws i.e. usually 30 days return.

All my current bikes were bought direct online. The Giant Defy came from an LBS that wasn't local to me. The two Canyons factory direct.

Last edited by PeteHski; 06-06-22 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-06-22, 01:12 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I think the dire predictions of a total online takeover are exaggerated. Even after Zappos.com revolutionized the online shoe-buying paradigm (buy multiple sizes, get free shipping and free returns), there are still plenty of shoe stores.

I do think that we'll see more of the "order online, ship to store" model as this all plays out over the next several years, but it's simply not in the bike industry's interest to eliminate brick & mortar retailers entirely.
Likes For Rolla: