Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Titanium + Carbon Frames

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Titanium + Carbon Frames

Old 06-28-22, 05:38 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Bikes: IF Crown Jewel, Lugged Columbus SLX Serotta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Titanium + Carbon Frames

I've seen some nice looking bikes for sale that use Ti and carbon. Some tubes carbon/ other Ti and some with Ti lugs.

How do they make such a bike stay together with these two disparate materials? Like the Seven Elium SG, or Serotta Ottrotts? Seems dangerous or else it would come apart in a few years.
Old 06-28-22, 05:44 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
The Holland Exogrid exemplifies the concept IMO

Old 06-28-22, 06:29 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Bikes: IF Crown Jewel, Lugged Columbus SLX Serotta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
On a bike like the Seven Elium SG or Serott Ottrott, how do they make the Ti work with the carbon so the frame doesn't fall apart from miles and miles of road vibrations?

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The Holland Exogrid exemplifies the concept IMO

Old 06-28-22, 06:41 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Its a glued lug joint. Its pretty common back in the day. Vitus made a lot of aluminum bikes with aluminum tubing glued to lugs. Trek as well made carbon tubed bikes that were glued together. Its reasonably durable, not really using the carbon to its best capabilities as they do now with molded frames.
Old 06-29-22, 07:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,385 Times in 4,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Recycled Cycler
On a bike like the Seven Elium SG or Serott Ottrott, how do they make the Ti work with the carbon so the frame doesn't fall apart from miles and miles of road vibrations?
Glue.
Here is a press picture of factory workers preparing the adhesive for bonding.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-29-22, 09:12 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Recycled Cycler
I've seen some nice looking bikes for sale that use Ti and carbon. Some tubes carbon/ other Ti and some with Ti lugs.

How do they make such a bike stay together with these two disparate materials? Like the Seven Elium SG, or Serotta Ottrotts? Seems dangerous or else it would come apart in a few years.
There used to be a lot of aluminum bikes with carbon stays, as well. Not to mention forks that have alloy steerers or crowns, bonded to carbon legs, which are then bonded to alloy dropouts. You just don't notice it on forks because they paint them.

I've seen a Seven like the one you mention. I'd absolutely love to own one. Back in the day, Lemond made some "spine" bikes, which mated a carbon top frame (top tube, seat tube, seat stays) with a steel, alloy, or titanium 'spine' (headtube, downtube, BB shell, chainstays). I haven't looked, but I don't think I remember hearing anybody mention catastrophic bonding failures on those bikes, either - and the newest of those is about 10-15 yrs old at this point.

If I found one in good condition, at the right time, I think I'd have to buy a used mixed material Serotta or Ti/Carbon Lemond - I find them fascinating.
Old 06-29-22, 10:15 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
I own a Look 481SL dating from about 2004 which has carbon tubes bonded into aluminum alloy lugs. Lovely bike to ride, very compliant and comfortable. I also have a Look 595 which has carbon tubes bonded into carbon lugs. This bike is a bit lighter and stiffer while still being very comfortable to ride. The advantage of lugged construction is that the tubes are easier to shape internally.
Old 06-29-22, 10:38 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Glue.
Here is a press picture of factory workers preparing the adhesive for bonding.
Let my bike be one the dark haired worker glued up. Totally focused on the job. Pink bow - that bike's gonna be heavy. The two on the left aren't even looking where their glue is going.