Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Of the major Italian builders, where would you put each in regards to hierarchy?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Of the major Italian builders, where would you put each in regards to hierarchy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-16, 09:00 PM
Fred Smedley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Robin Williams knew what to ride....Robin Williams and Dario Pegoretti: The Comedian and the Bike Builder - WSJ
Old 04-30-16, 09:24 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando
Univega. End of story.

(ends in a vowel, must be Italian)
Originally Italvega i thought --- hmmmm
Old 04-30-16, 09:55 PM
Ride-Fly

Bikes: Colnago Mix, Dean El Diente Ti S&S, Lynskey Cooper CX Disc Ti S&S, Mondonico Futura Legerro, DeRosa Primato, Tommaisini Tecno, Ciöcc Mokva80, Colnago Classic, Brompton M6L, Bob Jackson Audax End-E

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Well, I don't get too excited by the name/script either, but I certainly wouldn't go as far as petty or shallow.

I would have put his name on it.

He deserves it.

FWIW Some people have griped about the fork, but I like it.
i concur Grady! In fact, when this first came out, that was my major gripe- the generic and disconnected sound of the name. He should have called it Doriano or D.Derosa or Doriano DR or something like that! Bixxis is way too blah.
Old 04-30-16, 10:15 PM
Fivethumbs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
No Carnielli love?
Old 05-01-16, 02:04 AM
Regulatori

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Oh, yeah, right. A bike with a chicken on the headbadge. Srsly?

Blue? Are you INSANE?

Every one knows the [strike]red[/strike] no wait, [strike]yellow[/strike] I mean of course the orange ones!

Ooops, time to clean up my signature line. That one's gone back whence it came. Having it in there kinda spoils my trollish joke about the Grandis, doesn't it?

BTW, what some of us are getting at here, is brands are pretty meaningless. Lotta variation within brands and era-to-era and year-to-year. So, while the OP may not be trolling, it was kind of a silly question. And even the way he asked seemed to indicate he realized it was kind of a silly question, or at least so broad as to be mostly subjective.

No, I'm not trolling. I know it's a very subject question. That's why I tried to add a few things like "when the manufacturer was in their prime" to help simplify it a little...it's a terribly broad question though but still fun conversation matter.

I'm a sports car guy so it's hilarious when my British car friends get in the MG/Triumph/Lotus/Healey type arguments or my Italian car friends do the whole Lancia/Alfa/Fiat deal (more affordable Italian/British brands). Again, like bicycles, we're talking about specific period....the period they made enthusiasts cars for an average non-affluent buyer. With Italian and British cars, most would fall in the mid to late 60's.

P.S. If anyone wants to give away a Alfa GT 1300 JR stepnose, I'm taking donations.

With bikes, there are of course better time periods for certain companies, some companies only made higher end/boutique bikes, etc.. It just kind of a general question.
Old 05-01-16, 02:14 AM
Regulatori

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
With all the above mentioned, sort of makes one wonder what happened to the obscure Italian frame makers / employees when their steel bike industry was collapsing or went Asian. Not many followed into TIG, resins, ally work.

Though with Colnago having quite the notoriety, lots of sub contracting, its been said quite a few un-known makers remained busy in hidden shops making truck loads of fakes. Whatever you think of them, people like Colnago stickers. haha
I can just imagine the conversation if you happened to be traveling in some small Italian town, stop by to have a beer, and strike up a conversation with a local only find out they used to work in one of the major factories during their heyday. The stories would be incredible.

My dad was a Porsche mechanic all during the 70's....some of his stories are insane. The stuff they could get away with back then would NEVER fly today. Like driving around in a factory 934 race car/open exhaust on the streets
Old 05-01-16, 06:27 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
^ Pretty cool story.

If I won the lottery, think I'd go to Renzo Formigli and fit up for a 'classic' frameset. Genuini lugged Italian.

Classic - Formigli

That is what it might take! $3K for frame and fork with $500 down and 60 days. You may have presented my modern steel grail bike!
Old 05-01-16, 04:31 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I'll have to settle with taking old frames, burn some new bits on and repaint.

You guys have some builders up their that have built a name, Rodriguez was able to, your name surely fits and that looks great!

BTW, my wife still had those dang forks in her trunk! Argh. I will get them out tomorrow.
Old 05-01-16, 05:48 PM
look171

Bikes: Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Casati, of course. Now that we have established that, here's the rest that follows

DeRosa, Gios and Cinelli. Oh lets not forget the best touring bike made by a racing bike company. Medici. Well, not Italian but made in Los Angeles.

I raced three out of those mentioned. Only managed to break only one of them.
Old 05-01-16, 07:32 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by look171
Casati, of course. Now that we have established that, here's the rest that follows

DeRosa, Gios and Cinelli. Oh lets not forget the best touring bike made by a racing bike company. Medici. Well, not Italian but made in Los Angeles.

I raced three out of those mentioned. Only managed to break only one of them.
Trying to slip a fast one in on us, eh? lol

But then we have a Masi made French labeled.
Masi built Peugeot for the 28 yr. old Belgian rider Ferdinand Bracke hr. record in Rome Oct. 30, 1967 (48.093 kph (29.8 mph).

A month earlier in Milan, 33 yr. old Jacques Antquetil broke 47.493 kph (29.4 mph) but later disqualified for declining dope test.

https://charliecycles54.com/2014/02/...brand-peugeot/
Old 05-01-16, 08:34 PM
look171

Bikes: Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Masi is still Masi as far as I am concern. His son builds them now, but still in the very traditional way (not sure if he still doing it today?). So long as it come out of the shop under the Vigroelli Velodrome. About 15 years ago, I visited him and there he was willing to measure me up for a new frame.

Oh yeah, forgot to add Masi in there. These are the true Italian builders who build frames for world champs, badge or not. Colnago, well, that's another story for another time. Some how everyone falls in love with a Colnago even t hough I feel his bikes aren't always so good. I have one but haven't ridden it in a long time.
Old 05-02-16, 06:25 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Regulatori
No, I'm not trolling. I know it's a very subject question. That's why I tried to add a few things like "when the manufacturer was in their prime" to help simplify it a little...it's a terribly broad question though but still fun conversation matter.

I'm a sports car guy so it's hilarious when my British car friends get in the MG/Triumph/Lotus/Healey type arguments or my Italian car friends do the whole Lancia/Alfa/Fiat deal (more affordable Italian/British brands). Again, like bicycles, we're talking about specific period....the period they made enthusiasts cars for an average non-affluent buyer. With Italian and British cars, most would fall in the mid to late 60's.

P.S. If anyone wants to give away a Alfa GT 1300 JR stepnose, I'm taking donations.

With bikes, there are of course better time periods for certain companies, some companies only made higher end/boutique bikes, etc.. It just kind of a general question.
The difference being that there are a lot more bicycle manufacturers, and...as you said...the various brands changed and morphed a lot over time. I think there are also likely fewer differences between the brands...since there are fewer parts and most used many of the same components.

There are so many nice bikes out there. I like my Marnati a lot...the EL OS de rosa is a damn nice rider...the Cinellis have "it", whatever it is. I really like my Picchio. Some day I'd really like a Passoni.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 05-02-16 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-02-16, 09:30 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
The difference being that there are a lot more bicycle manufacturers, and...as you said...the various brands changed and morphed a lot over time. I think there are also likely fewer differences between the brands...since there are fewer parts and most used many of the same components.

There are so many nice bikes out there. I like my Marnati a lot...the EL OS de rosa is a damn nice rider...the Cinellis have "it", whatever it is. I really like my Picchio. Some day I'd really like a Passoni.
Should have reconsidered the Picchio I looked at recently at the Eroica California swap. The dark orange paint was quite chipped, the $400 price tag was just a bit too steep for a frame and fork in that shape.
One cannot have them all.
Old 05-02-16, 04:20 PM
crank_addict
Banned

By the master with a torch flame and no frame jig. There's a quote somewhere supposedly by Sante Pogliaghi that in the late 1970's he recommended De Rosa and Cinelli. Who else really is even qualified to define any of this? Maybe the pro's who raced them back when?

Alos, sort of funny but this topic started with a bit about Ferrari and Alfa. There were some era's of the most beautiful designs, pleasant on the eyes, but oh' were they handbuilt... as in near kit car home garage quality level.

Last edited by crank_addict; 05-02-16 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-02-16, 04:34 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
So, if I were to order a brand new Italian bike today, it might be a Bixxis.

Really interesting "new" brand, with a proven pedigree.
I really really like what he's doing....and IMO at the price he's asking they're a steal. I spent probably 20 minutes talking to him (and Martina) at NAHBS and they couldn't have been more pleasant. I asked if it was possible to get a frame with DT shifter bosses and he replied that it was; one hard rule I have for a frame is that it must accept DT shifters.

Old 05-02-16, 04:46 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Choke
I really really like what he's doing....and IMO at the price he's asking they're a steal. I spent probably 20 minutes talking to him (and Martina) at NAHBS and they couldn't have been more pleasant. I asked if it was possible to get a frame with DT shifter bosses and he replied that it was; one hard rule I have for a frame is that it must accept DT shifters.

Very cool.

I would love to chat with him.

I think the red and white color scheme is really sweet as well.

Just a great looking bike and the price point is super tempting.

I'm currently collecting a few items to get my Tommasini Sintesi on the road.

Maybe that would see me through until I have one of these built.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 05-02-16, 06:18 PM
crank_addict
Banned

I think its the year 2016............

https://www.racycles.com/product/detail/1611

from the link:

The Colnago Master X-Light is, in many ways, the definitive Colnago frameset. It's a lugged, plated, painted steel bike with the distinctive fork, tube shapes, and paint that placed it apart from the pack. It first appeared thirty years ago, and to celebrate it's introduction, Colnago is releasing it once again. Building it like it was always built, and in Italy, too.

The frameset is exactly where it was when it last appeared in the Colnago lineup. The tubing, DT15V steel, is identical to the tubing they used before. When the bike was built last, it was with a tubeset that was a joint effort between Columbus and Colnago. Columbus isn't making the tubes anymore, so Colnago tracked down the guy who drew the tubes, brought him the dies, and he produced them for Colnago. So you get the same mix of star-shaped and round tubes. They are joined by the same lugs. The straight-blade Precisa fork, revolutionary when it first appeared, is back. And so is the chrome-plating, and the luxurious, detailed paint. Even with all this going on, the frame is a relatively svelte 1400g.

The big deal with all the pieces is how they work together with the geometry for an incredible ride. The straight blade fork is precise and compliant thanks to the rake and internal tapering. The star-shaped tubes resist the torsional forces of pedaling and the round stays keep the bike comfortable. The ride is fast, stable, and comfortable. Great for riding long, great for riding hard, great for riding long and hard. If you ever wonder what the DNA of a Colnago ride is, ride this bike, and you'll know it.

And the paint scheme. Oooh la la. The paint applied over the chrome was the acme of Colnago's fascination with fun and funky detailing. Fades, bright contrasts, intricate graphics, its all here.

The frameset is detailed as it always was. 1" steerer tube, though this time with a threadless steerer. Italian-threaded bottom bracket. 27.2mm seat tube diameter. Room for 25mm tires. Two bottle braze-ons. Plated braze-on front derailleur tab. Integrated seat clamp with pin included. Vertical dropouts.

The Colnago Master X-Light frameset is the extra light bike of yore, 30 years young. Its ride is now as it was then, a joy like no other.

available in a choice of color's, schemes and of course red

Last edited by crank_addict; 05-02-16 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-02-16, 06:21 PM
gioscinelli 

Bikes: 2012 Moots VaMoots-74 Peugeot Mixtie U018-73 Peugeot U018

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Is that "Don Vito Corleone" greeting the Pope and making an offering?
Oh for the blessed. Do you think the pope rode this gold plated tubeset in that gown?

Old 05-02-16, 07:23 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts

The Colnago Master X-Light frameset is the extra light bike of yore, 30 years young. Its ride is now as it was then, a joy like no other.

I've been down the Master X Light rode a couple of times.

Really a nice, super stable steel frameset.

[IMG]IMG_0190 by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 05-02-16, 09:15 PM
ItalianPower

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone mentioned Marastoni? One of my favorites! Galmozzi, Marnati, and Picchio were incredibly gifted frame builders. Love all of my bikes and hard to pick a favorite.
Old 05-02-16, 09:21 PM
ItalianPower

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obviously Pegoretti. Raul Gozzi of Rauler was incredible as well. So many to choose from!
Old 05-03-16, 06:41 AM
dadoflam

Bikes: ’71 Cinelli SC;‘ 72 Cinelli SC ; 2011 Baum Corretto Ti; 2007 BMC SLC01; 1986 Pinarello Team Bike; 1983 De Rosa Professional; 1959 Bianchi TdF; ’78 Masi GC Ca

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=crank_addict;18733514]Trying to slip a fast one in on us, eh? lol

But then we have a Masi made French labeled.
Masi built Peugeot for the 28 yr. old Belgian rider Ferdinand Bracke hr. record in Rome Oct. 30, 1967 (48.093 kph (29.8 mph).

[url]https://charliecycles54.com/2014/02/10/1967

The confusion doesn't end there - by 1967 there's a good chance this was a frame commissioned by Faliero from Giuseppe Pela then sold as a Masi and then badged as a Peugeot.

Last edited by dadoflam; 05-03-16 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-03-16, 07:52 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
Take any quality bike and in the end they all ride the same. I've owned a few high end bikes, but I've recently figured out if you could ride blindfolded you wouldn't know the difference in makers. For me it's the geometry and toptube length.
I suspect this is true. I have not ridden enough different high-end (or low, mid-end) bikes to make an honest comparison, and I doubt if many cyclists have. Some of the bike shop owners, employees and collectors might offer some insight but we all have our biases and preferences.

However, I have owned and ridden many miles on several Italian bikes including a mid-1980s Bianchi Nuovo Record, a late 90s Bianchi Alloro (aluminum), an early 2000s Gios Compact Pro, and a late 90s De Bernardi SL (which I still own). I also owned an Eddy Merckx Corsa 01 and AX, which had geometries clearly inspired by Italian frame makers (and Italian bottom brackets). The Gios and De Bernardi rode the nicest to me, and their geometries were nearly identical with steep angles. The Merckx Corsa handled the nicest on curvy roads but was a bit stiffer on bumpy roads. The aluminum Bianchi sucked, even with a carbon fork, and vibrated me to death.

Regarding quality of construction, the Gios and De Bernardi are as nicely built and finished as any steel frames that I have seen in person. The paint and chrome on both frames were like new after thousands of miles of riding, with no paint chips or rust. I sold the Gios because it was a bit too small for me and hated to see it go. The De Bernardi has almost identical geometry but correctly sized. I commuted on this bike for several years and have ridden more than 10,000 miles on it, and it still looks like new. I bought the frame new-old-stock for a bargain price because De Bernardi is not one of the marque Italian brands such as De Rosa, Colnago, Pinarello. If I removed the decals and replaced them with De Rosas, it would probably sell for a nice price and I doubt if many people could tell the difference. Perhaps the quality of a De Rosa would be apparent if you put the De Bernardi side-by-side with one, but I tend to doubt it. Not that it matters to me, I don't get carried away by brand names.

Anyway, if looking for an Italian bike and price is an issue, I would focus on the quality of construction, finish, color, decals, etc., rather than the brand names. You will pay more for one of the marque brands, and perhaps have a better resale value if you get rid of it, but I doubt if it will ride any better than a quality frame from a lesser-know brand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
debe fixe 4.jpg (61.0 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg
debe fixe 2.jpg (88.5 KB, 227 views)
Old 05-03-16, 08:37 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Now that I own three Italian bikes...

My criteria is simple: Who has produced more top quality bikes than anyone else?

Colnago, Pinarello, Bianchi
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-03-16 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-03-16, 10:36 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Now that I own three Italian bikes...
My criteria is simple: Who has produced more top quality bikes than anyone else?
Colnago, Pinarello, Bianchi
So you rank quantity over quality?

I have three "Italian" bikes but only one was made in Italy.

Bianchi
Masi
Grandis

The one made in the US is the winner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.