Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bearings for Minoura Mag 500 trainer

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-18, 12:02 AM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but here it goes. I have an old Minoura mag trainer, and no matter what lube I use in the bearings, they make an awful lot of noises; I guess that after over 10 years of service they're shot!!! Anyone has been able to replace them? I'm stuck at the spindle assembly since there is like a drum that hinders me from removing them, and Minoura no longer supplies replacements for the unit. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-18, 09:19 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
Most rollers use a through shaft/axle running the length of the drum. Often this shaft has machined ends with a bearing seat/shoulder. The bearing has been positioned on this seat and against the shoulder while also being seated in the drum's end cap. Sometimes this fit up is a slight pressure/interference one requiring some pressure to remove/reassemble. Sometimes it's a slight slip fit and uses a retaining compound (LockTight 609 as example) to bond all together. This requires some shock and pressure to take apart.

What I don't remember is how your Minouras are assembled. Shouldn't be hard to figure out though. I use a blocks of wood to soften the hammer impacts on the shaft's ends as well as support the end caps yet allow the bearing to drop out. Here's a couple of shots of my old and recently rebuilt Weyless. Not saying your Minoura's are the same. Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1284.jpg (713.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1349.jpg (1,014.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 02-27-18, 09:49 AM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Most rollers use a through shaft/axle running the length of the drum. Often this shaft has machined ends with a bearing seat/shoulder. The bearing has been positioned on this seat and against the shoulder while also being seated in the drum's end cap. Sometimes this fit up is a slight pressure/interference one requiring some pressure to remove/reassemble. Sometimes it's a slight slip fit and uses a retaining compound (LockTight 609 as example) to bond all together. This requires some shock and pressure to take apart.

What I don't remember is how your Minouras are assembled. Shouldn't be hard to figure out though. I use a blocks of wood to soften the hammer impacts on the shaft's ends as well as support the end caps yet allow the bearing to drop out. Here's a couple of shots of my old and recently rebuilt Weyless. Not saying your Minoura's are the same. Andy
Thanks, Andy. I suppose I can try to hammer/press out the spindle/shaft, as the bearings appear to be pressed to it; although I'll need to look closer on the magnet's side as to how to remove some sort of sleeve. BTW, do you (or anybody here for that matter) know how I could upload pictures from my phone? I'm unable to do so!thanks again for the information!
Old 02-27-18, 11:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Measuring ID, OD and thickness will get you a bearing number , to match, if you don't see it on the seal itself.
Old 11-11-21, 11:02 PM
campagnolo kid

Bikes: Looking to buy a Masi Special track frame 57*57 or thereabouts or a Pogliaghi Italcorse or a De Rosa Prestige. I have owned a Mario Confenti brazed Carlsblad Masi with twin plate fork crown [Brian Bayliss] and 2 later model Pogliaghi track frames.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I know this is a zombie thread! People still read these.

I just took apart my 4.5" Minoura Action Mag Rollers as they were noisy.

The poly end cap was either cracked beforehand or I cracked one in removing one of the bearings.

I was only tapping the axle with the palm of my hands

So, when you remove one place it slightl back in so that when you are tapping the other out the axle is nicely centred in the cylinder. I may not have had the axle perfectly centred thus putting uneven pressure on the edge of the other poly cap.

My LBS didn't want to know about the issue.

BTW my 4.5" drum used a KOYO 10 * 30 * 9 bearing which was sealed on both sides [KOYO 6200Z]. Cant say wheher its universal.

Lesson: maybe only toy with the noisy roller or be more careful than me and support the opposite cap to the end of the axle you tap.
Likes For campagnolo kid: