Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cycling Specific Signs - Cheers and Jeers

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cycling Specific Signs - Cheers and Jeers

Old 11-04-19, 05:48 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by SactoDoug
You will have to check your local laws, but here in California a person is considered a pedestrian if they are walking a bicycle. They only become a vehicle if they are riding it.
Yeah, but not just local. It’s Army Corp of Engineers, but Massachusetts, but DCR, but Cambridge, but Boston.

It’s like матрёшка

NO BIKE is very un-everything.

Not to mention copy editor implosion looking at that sign!

-mr. bill
Old 11-05-19, 01:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Yeah, but not just local. It’s Army Corp of Engineers, but Massachusetts, but DCR, but Cambridge, but Boston.

It’s like матрёшка

NO BIKE is very un-everything.

Not to mention copy editor implosion looking at that sign!

-mr. bill
Walk it onto a boat. Needs more admiralty law.
Old 11-06-19, 04:27 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Minneapolis is fast-tracking the construction of a new commuter train. The train is sharing many popular rail-trails routes. This has lead to a lot of closures/detours and dumb stuff like this. The trail ahead goes from what has been basically 3 separate MUP-sized trails* to 1 shared MUP trail during construction. This segment of shared trail is the same width as 90% of the MUPs in the region.

* In the picture you'll see the three trails come together at the freight train crossing: eastbound bikes, westbound bikes, and foot trial

Old 01-08-20, 08:01 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

This one is related to the one above, same construction project but a few miles away. This is the official detour entry/exit to the Cedar Trail at France Ave, the signs are (presumably) there to keep people from going to the right of the trail. However, IMHO, it appears that the trail is enter a no trespassing area.

Old 01-09-20, 02:24 AM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
A sign at the top of a local climb. OK so actually that is one of my ride partners and a little photo chopping for fun.

Last edited by TheDudeIsHere; 01-10-20 at 02:59 PM.
Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 01-09-20, 08:52 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

^^^
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 08-05-20, 06:52 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

It appears Luther Honda in Hopkins, MN does not want people that bike to buy their cars.

These signs are posted at the point where the Cedar Lake Trail Regional Trail (very popular for commuters and recreational riders) is closed for construction of a new commuter rail corridor - the official detour is not great and this is how Luther Honda helps out.

I feel like the money spent telling people to say out could be spent to make the detour more user friendly ... that says a lot to me.

Old 09-13-20, 02:01 PM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
In Clovis CA, along on of the MUT.
Likes For royphotog:
Old 09-13-20, 02:04 PM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
It appears Luther Honda in Hopkins, MN does not want people that bike to buy their cars.

These signs are posted at the point where the Cedar Lake Trail Regional Trail (very popular for commuters and recreational riders) is closed for construction of a new commuter rail corridor - the official detour is not great and this is how Luther Honda helps out.

I feel like the money spent telling people to say out could be spent to make the detour more user friendly ... that says a lot to me.

They forget that people who ride bikes will be in the market for a car or truck someday, and that being friendly and helpful would go a long way to people deciding to buy a car there when the time comes, now they may go somewhere else.
Likes For royphotog:
Old 09-13-20, 05:47 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
No pic, but at the end of the Stone Mountain MUP (where cyclists must rejoin traffic) a yellow sign reads, "Obey all traffic laws."

Wish they would clone that post and sign, ad infinitum, and put them down the center line of every usa motor route/road every twenty feet... in super glow lettering....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 09-14-20, 07:33 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts

Is the Luther Honda dealership responsible for posting the no pedestrian/bicycle signs or were those signs posted by the local streets dept. or some other agency responsible for the road pictured and/or the detour?
Old 09-14-20, 07:50 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Is the Luther Honda dealership responsible for posting the no pedestrian/bicycle signs or were those signs posted by the local streets dept. or some other agency responsible for the road pictured and/or the detour?
Yes, this is the dealership's signage. I lead a bike/walk advocacy group in the city, we have city staff in our group and they confirmed this wasn't the city's signs. Additionally, another member of our group biked the the dealership interested in purchasing a vehicle, asked the sales person about the signage ... got some weak excuse and blame-talk about 'fast/dangerous bikes'; so he got back on his bike and went to another dealership to buy his car.

Edit/afterthought: The dealership I work with has a total different attitude about me biking to/from their dealership. They love that I'll drop a car and use a bike so that I don't use a loaner vehicle ... heck, they gave me a bike jersey with their branding, also, they have bike-commuters on staff.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 09-14-20 at 07:56 AM.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 09-14-20, 10:55 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Yes, this is the dealership's signage. I lead a bike/walk advocacy group in the city, we have city staff in our group and they confirmed this wasn't the city's signs. Additionally, another member of our group biked the the dealership interested in purchasing a vehicle, asked the sales person about the signage ... got some weak excuse and blame-talk about 'fast/dangerous bikes'; so he got back on his bike and went to another dealership to buy his car.

Edit/afterthought: The dealership I work with has a total different attitude about me biking to/from their dealership. They love that I'll drop a car and use a bike so that I don't use a loaner vehicle ... heck, they gave me a bike jersey with their branding, also, they have bike-commuters on staff.
Same with my shop. The first time I asked one of them to help me unload the velo, the whole shop came out to look at it for 5 minutes.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 09-14-20, 11:15 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Am I the only one that will use a bicycle whenever I have to pick up or drop off a car for one reason or another?

"Window Shopping"?

There must be more to those signs than meet the eye. So the complaint is not riding a bike to the dealership, but rather using the dealership parking lot as a shortcut to the bike path. Still a bit petty.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-14-20, 03:06 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Am I the only one that will use a bicycle whenever I have to pick up or drop off a car for one reason or another?
No.
Old 09-14-20, 03:15 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Yes, this is the dealership's signage. I lead a bike/walk advocacy group in the city, we have city staff in our group and they confirmed this wasn't the city's signs.
Is it even legal for businesses to put up their own street signs? I think if I worked for the city I'd have a talk with someone at the dealership about erecting their own signs.
Old 09-14-20, 03:17 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

The issue (based on a lot of feedback on a Facebook group thread) is the same as banks, fast food joints, etc that won't let you bike through the drive-thru.

I grabbed a screenshot of the Strava heatmap:

The brightest route is the closed trail (top left corner to middle right). You can see the number of Strava users riding the dealership is small, and the gas station (Holiday) and building supply store (Scherer Bros) have a similar number. I've cut through the gas station lot many times, I've never seen a reason to ride through the dealership. I expect the dealership riders are mostly confused/lost since it has no real benefit.

The official detour is the south side of the divided county road to the north of the trail. The trail is closed on the east side of the dealership (5th Ave - the road that hooks to the right at the warehouse). The west side of the closure is just off the screenshot on the left side of the image.
Old 09-14-20, 03:23 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Updated map with more details labeled...

Old 09-14-20, 03:25 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Is it even legal for businesses to put up their own street signs? I think if I worked for the city I'd have a talk with someone at the dealership about erecting their own signs.
I agree. The city staff don't seem excited about confronting the dealership.
Old 09-14-20, 03:38 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

The issue (based on a lot of feedback on a Facebook group thread) is the same as banks, fast food joints, etc that won't let you bike through the drive-thru.
I agree. The city staff don't seem excited about confronting the dealership.
Are the signs referring to walking or biking access only to private property as are usually the signs prohibiting peds and bikes from the drive-thru windows at commercial establishments? If so, it is no wonder that the city staff doesn't seem excited about confronting the dealership over this issue.
Old 09-14-20, 08:15 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Ah, I didn't realize that could be private property. I thought it was a public street but I guess it could be the entry way for the car lot's parking lot. If it is private property then I guess they can put up whatever signs they want. I thought the dealership was on a corner and the street next to the "no pedestrians" and "no bicycles" signs was a public street.
Old 09-14-20, 09:23 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Thanks for the heads up. Or should I say butts up? (This sign has since been removed since the RR tracks have been paved over. Before they were, the crossing angle was nasty.)

it could be worse...

Likes For thinktubes:
Old 09-15-20, 06:46 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Are the signs referring to walking or biking access only to private property as are usually the signs prohibiting peds and bikes from the drive-thru windows at commercial establishments? If so, it is no wonder that the city staff doesn't seem excited about confronting the dealership over this issue.
Correct, these signs are on the dealerships property - and the city has no real say over these signs.

I will say that the first time I noticed the big sign trailer, I thought it was prohibiting bikes on the road ... that sign placement is less than great.
Old 09-15-20, 10:17 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I've never seen a reason to ride through the dealership. I expect the dealership riders are mostly confused/lost since it has no real benefit.

The official detour is the south side of the divided county road to the north of the trail. The trail is closed on the east side of the dealership (5th Ave - the road that hooks to the right at the warehouse). The west side of the closure is just off the screenshot on the left side of the image.
I will say that the first time I noticed the big sign trailer, I thought it was prohibiting bikes on the road ... that sign placement is less than great.
Maybe the confused "dealership riders" end up on the private lot because of insufficient, inadequate or confusing signs placed (or not placed at all) by the local authorities directing the bicyclists to the official detour.
Old 09-15-20, 11:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Ah, I didn't realize that could be private property. I thought it was a public street but I guess it could be the entry way for the car lot's parking lot. If it is private property then I guess they can put up whatever signs they want. I thought the dealership was on a corner and the street next to the "no pedestrians" and "no bicycles" signs was a public street.

My guess is that their insurer insists on some very conspicuous signage. Through traffic of any kind through what is essentially a parking lot is an invitation to lots of low speed collisions. A disproportionate number of fender benders occur in parking lots and at gas stations because there's no clear rules of who goes where when. Adding bicycles into the mix just makes this situation worse for the lot owner. And to add to that there's a bunch of people driving vehicles they're not familiar with in the same lot. I doubt this sign was aimed at people who were actually riding to/from the dealership, and I seriously doubt they'd say anything to you if you did..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.