Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Torpado Paint Brush On Paint Job...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-05-20, 06:00 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts

Those who know me know that I do not like to paint vintage road bicycles and I wrestled with to paint or not to paint, when it comes to this old Torpado...

So, the decision is made and the $$$ is on its virtual way for art...

Already picked up a can of Rustoleum yellow and Rustoleum recreational white. Had the brush for years and looking forward to slapping on a coat or two of brushed on paint...

How does a brushed on paint job turn out? Have a look at the last brush job that I did...

More pictures to follow.
Old 12-05-20, 06:28 PM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 63 Posts
It Looks good to me, at least from a distance.
nice job!
Old 12-05-20, 06:32 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 50 Posts
That PX10 was painted with a brush??!! Bravo!
Old 12-05-20, 07:15 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 608 Posts
Looking forward to seeing how the Torpado turns out! That should be a good candidate to paint with a brush because you won't have to worry about so much busy masking work that it would require if sprayed.

I paint a variety of things, from landscapes on canvas to model kits to reproductions of ancient artifacts, yet for some reason I've always been put off by the idea of brush painting a bicycle frame simply because that's "not how it's done." I remember seeing your PX10 and thinking it looked fine, and have seen enough original vintage frames where at least the lugs or panels were hand painted, so I decided to give it a go recently. I'm almost done with a full brush "touch up" job on a 1979 Mercian that will end up covering a majority of the frame to hide the fact that my red was not a perfect match!

I actually opted to use Testors enamel paints that are meant for model building and such, which come in tiny bottles for $2 a piece at hobby stores. So far I've gotten two or three coats over almost an entire frame set for less than $10! The stuff sands nicely and dries relatively hard, and I'll seal it with one of those fancy rattle can 2k clear coats. It's been such fun and there are so many color options with the Testors enamels (many of which can also be had in small spray cans) that I'm considering picking up another frame just to do it again.

-Gregory
Old 12-05-20, 08:00 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
I remember that Peugeot and the fact that you painted it with a brush from your MyTenSpeeds site. With good prep work and good application of paint, brush paint can look every bit as good as spray, especially where the paint is a traditional solid color (rather than a metallic). I am looking forward to seeing this though.

Are you going to tint the paint at all or paint straight Rustoleim Sunburst Yellow? I have used that paint and can say it is quite bright which might have been exactly how the yellow paint started out. Or not. Tinting Rustoleum paint, for some reason seems to be tricky. I had the Sunburst Yellow that I mixed with Regal Red in order to get a orange. I did get orange but not the bright orange that I was looking for it was a slightly muddy tint of orange.

If you tint it, it will be only slight so I don't think you will have any problems. Of course, try a small sample first.

By the way, one of the things that I like about brushing the paint is that it is a thicker coat than a sprayed coat.

Keep us posted on the progress, perhaps even a step by step update. I think most interesting will be the change from the first color coat to the second.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 12-05-20, 09:03 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Does the color choice of Peugeot white also somehow help? I brush painted the rear triangle and top tube of a white PR10, and it came out really well, too. Never done that before or since.
Old 12-05-20, 09:18 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 608 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Does the color choice of Peugeot white also somehow help? I brush painted the rear triangle and top tube of a white PR10, and it came out really well, too. Never done that before or since.
It just comes down to solid versus metallic colors, and matte versus gloss finishes. The way that light reflects off of the paint may make it more or less likely to see imperfections in the finish, such as uneven applications, etc... A flat white reflects a lot of light so it would be hard to notice contours unless if they build up enough to cast shadows.

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 12-05-20, 09:46 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Interesting. Looking forward to the results.
If the intent is to match the current color (at least what I am seeing on my phone), I can’t see how you’re getting there with just yellow and white. From here it definitely looks like a touch of orange or red will be needed.
Old 12-06-20, 02:35 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Looking forward to seeing how the Torpado turns out! That should be a good candidate to paint with a brush because you won't have to worry about so much busy masking work that it would require if sprayed.
Torpado lugs are a pain to mask, this set being done the old way, with masking tape and lots of frustration...

"Busy masking"? No problem anymore. For the more intricate masking requirements, liquid masking material is the easiest way to go. This little bottle set me back $30.00 CND but will go a long way and the results are worth the expense...

And the results are pretty good, not professional good, but pretty darn (masked by an old guy with poor eyesight and shaky hands - a month or so ago)...

Are you going to tint the paint at all or paint straight Rustoleim Sunburst Yellow?
I am going with the original stock Rustoleum color, which is remarkably close to the original Torpado color. "As found" the Torpado's yellow had faded and discolored. Once sanding started, the much brighter yellow color made itself known. So no need or desire to mix paint. The two colors selected are for a "two tone" paint job, with the bulk being bright yellow. The off white, called Recitational white, is for the head tube and probably fenders (not sure about fender color choice yet - but yellow or off white will be the only choices for now).

More to follow but need a week or two to get the old lady painted. The art should be here in two to sixteen or seventeen weeks (postal systems are challenged these days - still waiting for two items to arrive). I will keep y'all posted. And, for what it is worth, this is the second yellow Torpado to come my way. You would all take a giant dump if you knew how much this old yellow Italian entry level steed sold for...
Old 12-06-20, 09:48 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Where did you get your decals? I assume you purchased the same set from the same supplier before?
Old 12-06-20, 10:25 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Where did you get your decals? I assume you purchased the same set from the same supplier before?
They look like the Velocals stuff. If so, he might be waiting a while; last week I got the stuff I ordered Sept 15th.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 12-06-20, 02:26 PM
randyjawa 

I did order from Velocals and do not expect to see them anytime before Ho Ho Ho Day. No problem since the paint will need all the time it can get to harden up.

I have not used the Velocals product before but decided to give them a try. They offer exactly what I need and at a price I do not find objectionable. Needless to say, I cannot comment on quality yet as I have never purchased from them before. The two Torpado bikes shown together were purchased from the same guy on the same day for the price of a trike that I had little use for. Both were in excellent cosmetic condition.
Old 12-06-20, 02:38 PM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by randyjawa
I did order from Velocals and do not expect to see them anytime before Ho Ho Ho Day. No problem since the paint will need all the time it can get to harden up.

I have not used the Velocals product before but decided to give them a try. They offer exactly what I need and at a price I do not find objectionable. Needless to say, I cannot comment on quality yet as I have never purchased from them before. The two Torpado bikes shown together were purchased from the same guy on the same day for the price of a trike that I had little use for. Both were in excellent cosmetic condition.
The quality I think is good, they are a little thick compared to the H. Lloyd ones I got, which is probably a good thing, you'd have to be quite clumsy to tear one installing it.
Old 12-06-20, 03:23 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
I tried brush painting once--during the winter on a BF cheapo build. The end product was really terrible. Now I wait until warmer weather and apply paint from a spray can (or go to the powdercoater).
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-06-20, 05:45 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
I really enjoy brush painting bikes. Its really relaxing and the results are rewarding. This was a down and dirty job on this Mercier. It was all purple, I added the green just a couple months ago just for fun snd to play with colors. But I plan on repainting it this winter with new decals.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 12-22-20, 07:00 PM
randyjawa 

Well, the frame and fork are, pretty much, prepped and ready for a coat of paint. And, here is where I run into a bit of trouble.

"As found", the Torpado was an OK shade of yellow. Little did I know that the bike's shade of yellow was assisted by smoker's damage. The entire frame/fork set was coated in smoke film as can be seen by the darker yellow spots that I had not cleaned off yet...

Then, indecision! I am not sure that I want a bright yellow bicycle. Even though I had already bought the two colors I intended to go with, I changed my mind. Rather than yellow with off white accents, I have decided to go with gray and red accents. Fingers crossed with this choice...

So far, I have paid $40.00 for paint, $18.00 for a good quality brush, $24.00 for assorted dry and wet/dry sand paper (220 to 1000 grit), $2.00 for a tack rag, and $8.00 for paint thinner. I also bought some small artist's brushes but cannot figure out where I put them (no pic). Anyway, total for paint so far = $92.00 cnd.

To that $92.00 cnd add the cost of art, another $65.00 cnd (approx) for a total of $157.00 cnd. For a brushed on paint job. Anyway...

The hoods are here and the cloth bar tape is on its way. Another $50.00, or so.

Yup, got myself a free bike and so far have a tad over $200.00 invested.
Old 12-22-20, 08:12 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 50 Posts
Those who know me know that I do not like to paint vintage road bicycles and I wrestled with to paint or not to paint, when it comes to this old Torpado...

So, the decision is made and the $$$ is on its virtual way for art...

Already picked up a can of Rustoleum yellow and Rustoleum recreational white. Had the brush for years and looking forward to slapping on a coat or two of brushed on paint...

How does a brushed on paint job turn out? Have a look at the last brush job that I did...

More pictures to follow.
What primer will you be using?
Old 12-23-20, 06:03 AM
randyjawa 

What primer will you be using?
Based on the manufacturer's recommendations, no primer. To that add that I have used Rustoleum (I actually used to work at the Canadian plant that made this stuff) rust paint before without primer and achieved good results. To that add that most of the original paint is going to be painted over. The original paint is hard and stuck like poo poo to a blanket. So, no primer this time - fingers crossed. That said, something has given me cause for concern...

Are the decals I ordered from Velocals decals or stickers? If decals, time to rethink the paint plan.
Old 12-23-20, 08:04 AM
oneclick 

That said, something has given me cause for concern...

Are the decals I ordered from Velocals decals or stickers? If decals, time to rethink the paint plan.
They do both kinds; you chose which material you wanted when you ordered them.
Old 12-23-20, 08:13 AM
randyjawa 

They do both kinds; you chose which material you wanted when you ordered them.
Thanks and I just checked what I ordered - 2ml vinyl - perfect for my intentions.
Old 12-23-20, 08:33 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
@randyjawa - I am intrigued with concept of brush painting a bike frame. As you move forward, every detail of the paint prep and application along with technique would be greatly appreciated.

I do miss your 10speed site where I first learned of the PX10 paint application a number of years ago.
Old 12-24-20, 05:31 AM
randyjawa 

@randyjawa - I am intrigued with concept of brush painting a bike frame. As you move forward, every detail of the paint prep and application along with technique would be greatly appreciated.
My exact intention was to do just that. With MY "TEN SPEEDS" gone, I decided to share this project for two reasons...

To help others and to give me something, both social and mechanical, to do. If I can help someone, somewhere learn how to paint a bike with a brush, then I have achieved a goal. And, as for goal number two - well this is it and more to come. But I want all to keep one thing in mind...

The original paint and art on the Torpado was not perfect, even before the bike left the bike building place. So, when I or you make a wee error, think of it as the beginnings of the eventual patina the bike will earn as it passes through the use of time. Anyway, this is factory issue art (should add that this sort of factory issue cosmetic issue is not associated only with Torpado - most makes were guilty of poor workmanship, if that is the right word)...
Old 12-24-20, 09:12 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
I read and re-read your PX-10 issue and I was convinced to spend the big bucks on brushes at the art supply store. I got Princeton Summit 6100 #2, 6, and 10. I think that made it possible to lay down some smooth paint when I did my PX-10. Thanks again Randy.
Old 12-24-20, 10:01 AM
randyjawa 

I read and re-read your PX-10 issue and I was convinced to spend the big bucks on brushes at the art supply store.
Big bucks I don't recall, but roughly $20.00 covered the cost of three sizes. Still have them but, stupid me, forgot to get them from the lake cottage. And, tomorrow, Thunder Bay locks down so going to buy such items might not be an option. Oh well, I always enjoy the trip out to the cottage. Don't think much of wading through crotch deep crusted snow to get to the buried door of my man cave. And, guess what I need next, for my paint with a brush project? Yup - the artists brushes. Heavy snow means no go to the lake today. I will wait for the over worked snow plows to block the drive way completely...

Should also get my polisher and sticks, though not paint related...

And my home made truing stand/dishing tool, again not paint related...

And what ever I plan to forget when I get there next time:-(
Old 12-31-20, 03:34 PM
randyjawa 

Well, Mother Nature is cooperating today. Snow storms and shovel parties abounded, for a while, but I finally got a bit more done on the Torpado's paint work.

The frame is sanded, cleaned, scrubbed (see picture of plastic dish washing scrubbers - two grades),tack ragged and ready for paint...

Masking is next on the list. I use liquid mask for intricate work. Believe it or not, those lovely chrome head tube lugs are already protected with a layer of liquid mask. The material is really water based rubber and difficult to feel confident when applying. The results will tell the tale...

When doing tubes and stays, I start with fine line masking tape, ending inside or underneath or in the back of each tube or stay...

If it does not look perfect, remove the tape (with care) and apply again, until it is right...

Once satisfied that the masking is done, dust off the frame with the tack rag one last time and paint away. I plan my set-up, using my work stand, never having to remove the frame. Set up like this, I can easily and safely rotate the frame, ensuring that I see everything that needs to be covered. Also, II try to always work towards the painted area. This makes, as I see it, for smoother transitions as the paint is drying during application...

Do not expect great first coat results. You are covering other colors. It is the first coat and you are leaning how to do it. To perfect your technique. With each coat, sanded in between coats, you get better at applying the paint. This is the result of coat one. Plenty to not feel great about, so far. It is easy to create holidays when brushing the first coat. Also and this is important - DO NOT FUSS WITH IT! Missed a spot, or two or three. So what - correct with the next coat which WILL look better...

The missed spot, I can and will fix. The pooey stinko lug workmanship, not so much...

But the original owner's name, still etched into the frame, is not invisible (so is the phone number on the other side)...

But I know what is coming next. Forgot to prepare the fork. Fork me for forgetting. Also, I plan to do the fenders in grey, to match the frame. That means sand the chrome smooth. But, hopefully, it will all be worth it.

I hope to paint again next year tomorrow. I will finish the grey, then, once the grey is well past handling hard, I will apply the red to the head tube and lug windows...

And, then, of course, the art.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.