Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Think a 2000 Stumpjumper M2 is worth buying?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-23-21, 11:23 AM
bustaone

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I started out looking for an e bike but they are all so expensive... My current bike isn't trail worthy anymore w/ brakes gone to crap and isn't worth the cost to get back into shape (2000 specialized rockhopper a1). I even installed new used xtr breakset and breaks got worse so I quit. When I bought my bike I was lusting after the stumpjumper m2 and stumpjumper s-works bikes and have wanted one ever since...

Local seller has a 2000 SJ M2 for $350 in good not great shape. This is dirt cheap compared to anything new and has the bonus of being super light in comparison to modern bikes. I've always liked that about my rockhopper, the whole bike weights 23-24 lb and was super fun to throw around back when I would do races. Now I want a light xc bike w/ front suspension that I can ride to work or take on some singletrack. Would I be better served looking in a more recent decade?

What would you do? Should I look a completely different direction? I also found a norco fluid lt for sale locally for $1k but I'm not familiar with these bikes like I was with the specialized.

Been a long time but I really want to get back on the trails.
Old 06-23-21, 11:30 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,209 Times in 1,102 Posts
Haven't worked on a bike that can't be made road worthy, as long as the frame set is good.
Old 06-23-21, 11:44 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I believe (but could be wrong) that many of the M2 frames failed. Too brittle? Bad welds? I don't know, but for all the hype over 'Metal Matric Composite', you sure don't see a lot of them on the road anymore.
Old 06-23-21, 11:48 AM
bustaone

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I believe (but could be wrong) that many of the M2 frames failed. Too brittle? Bad welds? I don't know, but for all the hype over 'Metal Matric Composite', you sure don't see a lot of them on the road anymore.
That's something I never even considered. Thanks.
Old 06-23-21, 12:27 PM
habes78023 

Bikes: Constant rotation, Currently: 2009 Felt FC, 1999 Stumpjumper, Serotta KOM, Eisentraut Rainbowtraut, Trek 400 commuter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
I have a Stumpjumper m2, I would say they are worth buying. I wouldn't suggest them if you are getting into serious off-road or downhill trails but let me explain why.

Mountain bikes are expensive, but there's also a lot of trails these days that older mountain bikes probably don't belong on. You do get what you pay for usually. For something to just get you out into the woods, it's a fine option.

I do take mine off road, there's some trails near my house that are part fire roads, part single tracks, plenty of elevation. There's also trails there that have jumps and other stuff that's more advanced. I don't take this bike down those. Maybe I need more skill, but only having 100mm of travel in the front only plus v brakes isn't a recipe for success going down some of those lines in my experience.

The Rockhopper is going to be very similar to the Stumpjumper. I think many on here would pause at the idea that you wouldn't be able to get the rockhopper back on the trails but rather get the stumpjumper and not have the same situation in a year or less time. Doing offroading is going to require maintenance and things will break and wear out, just like any hobby. So there's going to be cost no matter what, and if you replace a bike every time one gets a little worn, you're gonna cost yourself more in the long run.

350 dollars buys a decent amount of replacement parts and labor. I'd be very surprised if it cost more than that to get the Rockhopper feeling like new, barring any major damage to the frame or wheels.
Old 06-23-21, 01:20 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by habes78023
Mountain bikes are expensive, but there's also a lot of trails these days that older mountain bikes probably don't belong on.
That didn't stop (sometimes literally...) the original Klunkers. I'm not sure "don't belong" was in their vocabulary.

I think many on here would pause at the idea that you wouldn't be able to get the rockhopper back on the trails but rather get the stumpjumper and not have the same situation in a year or less time. Doing offroading is going to require maintenance and things will break and wear out, just like any hobby. So there's going to be cost no matter what, and if you replace a bike every time one gets a little worn, you're gonna cost yourself more in the long run.

350 dollars buys a decent amount of replacement parts and labor. I'd be very surprised if it cost more than that to get the Rockhopper feeling like new, barring any major damage to the frame or wheels.
+1; seems like I'm not the only one mystified by the brake work on the OP's 'Hopper making them worse. How hard can it be, provided the wheels are true, to dial in a decent quality set of V-brakes with fresh pads properly?
Old 06-23-21, 02:05 PM
bustaone

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by habes78023
I have a Stumpjumper m2, I would say they are worth buying. I wouldn't suggest them if you are getting into serious off-road or downhill trails but let me explain why.

Mountain bikes are expensive, but there's also a lot of trails these days that older mountain bikes probably don't belong on. You do get what you pay for usually. For something to just get you out into the woods, it's a fine option.

I do take mine off road, there's some trails near my house that are part fire roads, part single tracks, plenty of elevation. There's also trails there that have jumps and other stuff that's more advanced. I don't take this bike down those. Maybe I need more skill, but only having 100mm of travel in the front only plus v brakes isn't a recipe for success going down some of those lines in my experience.

The Rockhopper is going to be very similar to the Stumpjumper. I think many on here would pause at the idea that you wouldn't be able to get the rockhopper back on the trails but rather get the stumpjumper and not have the same situation in a year or less time. Doing offroading is going to require maintenance and things will break and wear out, just like any hobby. So there's going to be cost no matter what, and if you replace a bike every time one gets a little worn, you're gonna cost yourself more in the long run.

This is understandable. I live in minnesota so there's only just so much challenge that the local trails can present. I don't think that an older bike presents a safety risk provided it is functioning properly. My rockhopper got ridden hard for many years and just isn't up to the task with many parts going out. I checked with local shop and they wanted $140 for a tuneup + parts. They guessed "a few hundred probably" to get the deficiencies remedied.

So I started trying to fix up my rockhopper but it just needs too much. I'm old now so I'd like to get a suspension fork and there isn't much on the bike in good shape but the frame, handlebar, rims, seat tube. Tires shot, derailer springs shot, bottom bracket shot, grips shot, seat shot... I don't know how to take care of that all for less than a few hundred, but I might just be ignorant. I bought some used xtr v breaks off of ebay to fix the breaks but I found out afterwards that they have an unreplacable spring that wears out so that was an afternoon of work and $75 for nothing. Then the more I thought about it the more sense it made to me to start with a better base. Plus, if I'm going to work on something it'd be a lot cooler to have the bike ned overund used to smash all rivals all those years. I really like the old stumpjumpers.

Appreciate the input, it's been a long time since I looked at buying bike stuff and the new stuff is just so wild.
Old 06-23-21, 05:12 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Pretty cool looking bikes. Regular, Comp, or Pro? It could be a really solid bike if it's in good shape or a basis for a very light single speed. Also will have mounting for disc brakes if you wanted to start over from scratch. What's the fork? I think by y2k elastomers had mostly gone off the market and it should have a decent air/oil fork. Such are possible if not always easy to service.

Reading up, the MMC bikes from the mid 90's were the ones that were crack prone and by Y2K they had added gussets at the head tube.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-23-21, 05:50 PM
tricky 

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
@bustaone Something to keep in mind is that suspension wears out just like other components. It sounds like that Stumpy you are looking at is pretty fresh, but suspension needs maintenance too. They have seals, o-rings, and oil that need to be changed out every once in a while. Make sure the fork feels good and even if it does, it might eventually need a rebuild. Depending on the fork, parts may not be available. It sounds like you are just commuting and occasionally hitting trails, so this may not matter much, but the worst case is that the fork is completely collapsed either because it's an elastomer fork and the elastomers melted or it's an air fork that has a blown air chamber. If fork is collapsed it would change the bike's geometry and make it trickier to ride. Just something to keep in mind.

I vote buying the stumpy. I can tell you are stoked about the bike and that's a bike part of what it's all about. Also keep in mind that you should budget for regular maintenance so that you don't get to the point that all your parts are worn out again and you need to buy a whole new bike to get back on the trails/road. It's much better to buy a new bike because you want one and not because you are forced to.

If it were me, I would want the fork and frame to come with disc tabs so that even if it has Vs you can upgrade later. I don't think this frame has disc tabs so consider whether or disc is important to you. IMO it's more important for mountain biking or if you commute in wet or snowy weather. If you go with that particular 2000 stumpy then either make sure it's pristine for $350 or try to get him down a few bucks. $350 is about right in Seattle for a v-brake aluminum mountain bike in good shape with an old working fork, but I think maybe it's high for the midwest. Worth a shot at least.
Likes For tricky:
Old 06-23-21, 06:20 PM
habes78023 

Bikes: Constant rotation, Currently: 2009 Felt FC, 1999 Stumpjumper, Serotta KOM, Eisentraut Rainbowtraut, Trek 400 commuter

Originally Posted by bustaone
So I started trying to fix up my rockhopper but it just needs too much.
Gotcha, it's tough to tell from your original post that so much could be wrong, Just the brakes doesn't seem like a big deal.

I agree with user tricky, sounds like you would really love to ride the Stumpjumper and in the end that's what its all about, what's going to get you out there more.
Old 06-23-21, 06:25 PM
habes78023 

Originally Posted by madpogue
That didn't stop (sometimes literally...) the original Klunkers. I'm not sure "don't belong" was in their vocabulary.
I'm a scrub in the mountains for sure, except maybe climbing, the stumpjumper can climb with the best of them, haha.

And I knew i would catch some flack for the don't belong thing, but some of these downhill runs are a little scary and I can't advise someone to try it on my M2 Stumpjumper.
Old 06-23-21, 06:59 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
As mentioned, keep an eye on the suspension fork. 20 years old is getting up there for a fork, and 26" stuff is getting difficult to replace.

Replacement forks are available, but they keep selling out as everybody else is doing/thinking about doing the same thing as you.

Very limited options if want a new fork of decent quality with v-brake mounts.
Likes For wesmamyke:
Old 06-23-21, 09:01 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
I have my '01 Stumpy M4 Pro and love it. Only reason why I'm riding it more now is because my full-sus Trek Fuel is dead and gone. I transferred most of the drivetrain and the brakes over to this bike. Also added a dropper. I'd go for it if I were you.
IMG_5995 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 06-23-21, 09:03 PM
madpogue 

Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
^^^^^ Speaking of suspension fork age/wear, there was at least one fork recall from that era. I had an '01 (I think) HardRock A1 a couple years ago, and found out the RockShox Judy fork had a safety recall. SRAM (they now own RockShox) honored the recall, I got a free brand new fork that was a major upgrade to boot. Worth looking up.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 06-24-21, 09:11 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
I started out looking for an e bike but they are all so expensive... My current bike isn't trail worthy anymore w/ brakes gone to crap and isn't worth the cost to get back into shape (2000 specialized rockhopper a1). I even installed new used xtr breakset and breaks got worse so I quit. When I bought my bike I was lusting after the stumpjumper m2 and stumpjumper s-works bikes and have wanted one ever since...

Local seller has a 2000 SJ M2 for $350 in good not great shape. This is dirt cheap compared to anything new and has the bonus of being super light in comparison to modern bikes. I've always liked that about my rockhopper, the whole bike weights 23-24 lb and was super fun to throw around back when I would do races. Now I want a light xc bike w/ front suspension that I can ride to work or take on some singletrack. Would I be better served looking in a more recent decade?

What would you do? Should I look a completely different direction? I also found a norco fluid lt for sale locally for $1k but I'm not familiar with these bikes like I was with the specialized.

Been a long time but I really want to get back on the trails.
Probably not a good idea. I had one and it lasted about 6500 wonderful miles before it cracked. Great bike but the aluminum/boron frame isn’t a good choice for longevity.

So I started trying to fix up my rockhopper but it just needs too much. I'm old now so I'd like to get a suspension fork and there isn't much on the bike in good shape but the frame, handlebar, rims, seat tube. Tires shot, derailer springs shot, bottom bracket shot, grips shot, seat shot... I don't know how to take care of that all for less than a few hundred, but I might just be ignorant. I bought some used xtr v breaks off of ebay to fix the breaks but I found out afterwards that they have an unreplacable spring that wears out so that was an afternoon of work and $75 for nothing. Then the more I thought about it the more sense it made to me to start with a better base. Plus, if I'm going to work on something it'd be a lot cooler to have the bike ned overund used to smash all rivals all those years. I really like the old stumpjumpers.
There’s no such thing as “needing too much”. There’s only how much you are willing to spend. A lot of the things you are saying are “shot” are items which don’t really get “shot”. People only think they do. Derailer springs, for example, seldom wear out in my experience. People think they do but most of the time, the issue lies in the cables and cable housing. I have derailers that have 20,000 miles on them and still shift as crisply as they did when new. Bottom brackets are nearly the same. I have seen some wear out but very, very few of them actually fail. Square taper are also fairly cheap to replace.

The most expensive bit will be the shock. There are a few forks out there that can take V-brakes. Look for a used Fox or Manitou on Fleabay. Alternatively, you can go to a mechanical disc front fork and leave the linear brakes on the back. You’d need a new front wheel…fairly cheap…, rotor, and caliper. An Avid BB7 is a good choice and not terribly expensive on Fleabay. I’ve got the same arrangement…disc front/linear rear…on my bikepacking bike. It stops just fine.

I’m not sure what model XTR brakes you got but the only spring on any linear brake is the linear spring and I’ve never seen one “wear” out. Break, yes, but not get the the point where it wasn’t doing the thing it was designed for, i.e. “springing”. If you have the linkage type brake, those have a different problem. The linkage makes them too flexible and they tend to squeal a whole lot. They work well but they are annoying.

If you shop around…and check to ensure that the “worn” parts really are…, you can probably refurb the Rockhopper for around the same as the Stumpjumper. Alternatively, look for a newer Stumpy. They had cleared up the problem by about 2003, which is the year model Specialized replaced my 1999 Stumpjumper M2 with.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-24-21, 09:18 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by 2cam16
I have my '01 Stumpy M4 Pro and love it. Only reason why I'm riding it more now is because my full-sus Trek Fuel is dead and gone. I transferred most of the drivetrain and the brakes over to this bike. Also added a dropper. I'd go for it if I were you.
IMG_5995 by 2cam16, on Flickr
The M4 was a replacement for the M2 frames. Not a brittle and, I think, the boron has been removed.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-24-21, 10:23 AM
tricky 

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Probably not a good idea. I had one and it lasted about 6500 wonderful miles before it cracked. Great bike but the aluminum/boron frame isn’t a good choice for longevity.

There’s no such thing as “needing too much”. There’s only how much you are willing to spend. A lot of the things you are saying are “shot” are items which don’t really get “shot”. People only think they do. Derailer springs, for example, seldom wear out in my experience. People think they do but most of the time, the issue lies in the cables and cable housing. I have derailers that have 20,000 miles on them and still shift as crisply as they did when new. Bottom brackets are nearly the same. I have seen some wear out but very, very few of them actually fail. Square taper are also fairly cheap to replace.

The most expensive bit will be the shock. There are a few forks out there that can take V-brakes. Look for a used Fox or Manitou on Fleabay. Alternatively, you can go to a mechanical disc front fork and leave the linear brakes on the back. You’d need a new front wheel…fairly cheap…, rotor, and caliper. An Avid BB7 is a good choice and not terribly expensive on Fleabay. I’ve got the same arrangement…disc front/linear rear…on my bikepacking bike. It stops just fine.

I’m not sure what model XTR brakes you got but the only spring on any linear brake is the linear spring and I’ve never seen one “wear” out. Break, yes, but not get the the point where it wasn’t doing the thing it was designed for, i.e. “springing”. If you have the linkage type brake, those have a different problem. The linkage makes them too flexible and they tend to squeal a whole lot. They work well but they are annoying.

If you shop around…and check to ensure that the “worn” parts really are…, you can probably refurb the Rockhopper for around the same as the Stumpjumper. Alternatively, look for a newer Stumpy. They had cleared up the problem by about 2003, which is the year model Specialized replaced my 1999 Stumpjumper M2 with.

I defer to Cyccocommute's direct experience with the M2 frames. @bustaone sounds like you should look for a Stumpy with different frame material. In the meantime, we would be happy to help you with your brakes and anything else on your bike that you might need to get it running while you look for your dream SJ. I agree with Cyccocommute that I have never seen a V brake spring "wear out". Show us some pics or some vids of what you are experiencing and we can help you out. Maybe we could even get your old brakes working again. It's pretty amazing what some new pads and cables can do for old brakes.
Likes For tricky:
Old 06-25-21, 11:04 AM
bustaone

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
I defer to Cyccocommute's direct experience with the M2 frames. @bustaone sounds like you should look for a Stumpy with different frame material. In the meantime, we would be happy to help you with your brakes and anything else on your bike that you might need to get it running while you look for your dream SJ. I agree with Cyccocommute that I have never seen a V brake spring "wear out". Show us some pics or some vids of what you are experiencing and we can help you out. Maybe we could even get your old brakes working again. It's pretty amazing what some new pads and cables can do for old brakes.
Thanks again everyone for the expert advice. 2cam your bike is glorious! Going to head out to check out the bike today and pay specific attention to frame junctions and fork action. *crossed fingers* Am prepared to do some work to get what I'm looking for.

Talked to my GF and it looks like she wants my rockhopper so I've got to get that one fixed up too. This should be some fun projects, everything is better with a goal. I'll get some pictures and ask in the appropriate place, also talked to my brother and he has some spare parts that might work. Him and I used to ride together all the time and he has a few 2000's era cannondales he has always been tinkering with.

The only problem is I made the mistake of looking more and found that the 08-16 SJ HT 29 exists. Oops. This looking at old bikes is dangerous. I don't know how ya'll manage. :-)
Likes For bustaone:
Old 06-25-21, 11:57 AM
tricky 

Thanks again everyone for the expert advice. 2cam your bike is glorious! Going to head out to check out the bike today and pay specific attention to frame junctions and fork action. *crossed fingers* Am prepared to do some work to get what I'm looking for.

Talked to my GF and it looks like she wants my rockhopper so I've got to get that one fixed up too. This should be some fun projects, everything is better with a goal. I'll get some pictures and ask in the appropriate place, also talked to my brother and he has some spare parts that might work. Him and I used to ride together all the time and he has a few 2000's era cannondales he has always been tinkering with.

The only problem is I made the mistake of looking more and found that the 08-16 SJ HT 29 exists. Oops. This looking at old bikes is dangerous. I don't know how ya'll manage. :-)
Haha, it's a slippery slope! I have 2 bike frames in my queue with absolutely nowhere to put them. lol Good luck with your hunt! Update the thread when you finally make a purchase or make progress on your Rockhopper.
Old 06-25-21, 02:33 PM
cyccommute 

Good luck. On the plus side, if you buy the bike and ride it until it breaks, you’ll have provided the bike with a fitting end. Far too many mountain bikes go from glorious battle horses to plow horses when people put slick tires on them and ride them on pavement. If the bike ever breaks, send it to a recycler in the knowledge that it is going to a Viking funeral and a fitting end.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-07-21, 08:42 AM
bustaone

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I got it!
But the system won't let me post a pic because it thinks I'm linking to external URL's... So you just have to take my word for it. Hot damn, what a machine, 23.5lb and built like a tank.
I am officially back on the singletrack!!
Old 07-07-21, 08:52 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
I got it! But the system won't let me post a pic because it thinks I'm linking to external URL's... S
Per forum rules you can't post pictures (or PM others) until 10 posts over 2 days.Spam issue
Old 07-07-21, 09:21 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,041 Times in 1,250 Posts
Pic assist

Likes For clubman:
Old 07-07-21, 10:35 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
That didn't stop (sometimes literally...) the original Klunkers.
Actually, it kinda did. Frames and parts were breaking all the time, which lead to designs that wouldn't break, and they were no longer Klunkers.
Old 07-07-21, 01:36 PM
bustaone

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the help Clubman! I have no idea how you swami'd into my computer and got that but that's cool.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.