Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern experts: can anyone give me some info on this?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 02-10-22, 06:44 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 65 Posts

Hi all,

The seller isn’t being massively helpful, so I thought I would post the sales pictures and get some information from you experts prior to viewing.

i think it’s a Tern Link. 7 speed maybe, with derailleur?

It’s difficult to tell from the photos. Is that seatpost looking a little short? I’m 6 foot.

It’s up for a decent price. Obviously needs a new front inner tube (and possibly a tyre) but that’s no biggie.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-10-22, 06:54 AM
wesgreen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Barchettaman
Hi all,

The seller isn’t being massively helpful, so I thought I would post the sales pictures and get some information from you experts prior to viewing.

i think it’s a Tern Link. 7 speed maybe, with derailleur?

It’s difficult to tell from the photos. Is that seatpost looking a little short? I’m 6 foot.

It’s up for a decent price. Obviously needs a new front inner tube (and possibly a tyre) but that’s no biggie.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not a Tern expert, but that seat post looks long enough, once you pull it out. Search for Tern and "broken frame".

Last edited by wesgreen; 02-10-22 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-10-22, 01:15 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
The seatpost looks normal length for this bike; must have been a short rider!
Tern specs this bike for riders up to a bit over 6 feet (~6' 3").
Yes, there were some frame failures in Tern's early years, but the current risk is likely no more than other brands. I have just passed the 10,000 mile mark with no issues.
Old 02-11-22, 09:44 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Thanks both.
I am tempted to take the risk, I reckon I can get it for £100.
Old 02-20-22, 04:13 AM
gleearch

Bikes: Birdy Monocoque Standard Disc, Tern Verge D9, Tern Link D8, Dahon Curve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have two Terns. A Verge D9 and Link D8 that are 5 years old. They have held up well and no frame issues. The standard Tern seat post should be sufficient for your height but if you find it too short, they sell a telescoping version for taller riders, If the seller has maintained the bike, it should be fine. Just remember to check the welds at frame folding joint. I have a Birdy and a Dahon Curve too and while they are all very different, I see no major quality issues with the Terns compared to the other two brands.
Old 02-21-22, 07:24 AM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
It's fine. That's how it folds. The seat post gets lowered to the ground to support the bike when folded. Pretty much like a Dahon.... oh wait! hahaha

Old 02-23-22, 10:49 AM
Barchettaman

Thanks all.
to update this, I have bought a Tern, just not the one in the advertisement.
I’ve got one in blue, hardly-used, 7 speed with mudguards. Slightly more expensive but it’s a cracker. Photos to follow next week!
Old 02-25-22, 02:58 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
Thanks all.
to update this, I have bought a Tern, just not the one in the advertisement.
I’ve got one in blue, hardly-used, 7 speed with mudguards. Slightly more expensive but it’s a cracker. Photos to follow next week!
More importantly, are you going to upgrade it as you did with the expressos?
Old 02-25-22, 04:31 AM
Barchettaman

Originally Posted by Fentuz
More importantly, are you going to upgrade it as you did with the expressos?
haha, I’ve already googled drop bar conversions and fastest 20” tyres!

Realistically I’ve only bought this for an upcoming job this summer and autumn, which will involve a load of TGV and ICE train travel. I was thrown off a high speed train with the bigger espresso by an officious ticket collector; I can’t risk that happening again.

fortunately the train was stationary at the time of my forced ejection.

I’m hoping the smaller Tern Link won’t attract so much attention.
Old 02-25-22, 04:40 AM
Barchettaman

The first ‘upgrade’ will be to switch the bloody brake housing over from Uk to Europe! I can’t cope with the front brake on the right hand side lever.

then maybe a better saddle. I like racing bike saddles for the ladies market; very light but wider for my fat arse.

the V brakes need to be stripped and their pivots cleaned. Likewise the frame hinge could do with a bit of oil. Just basic stuff really, the bike has sat for a while.

I might stick on a front dynamo but unbeknownst to me, the bike came with two really good Cateye lights (maybe £20s-worth?)

the fit seemed ok but an actual test ride was limited to just standing over the bike in the guy’s spare bedroom. I’ve seen that Tern make a quick release stem extension thing if it’s a bit short up front.

New project, always fun!
Old 02-25-22, 04:41 AM
Barchettaman

Oh, and I’m sure I have a 7-speed Shimano combined brake and shifter unit in the parts bin. It has a Shimano grip shift at the moment, I will see how I get on with that.
Old 02-25-22, 05:05 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

haha, I’ve already googled drop bar conversions and fastest 20” tyres!

Realistically I’ve only bought this for an upcoming job this summer and autumn, which will involve a load of TGV and ICE train travel. I was thrown off a high speed train with the bigger espresso by an officious ticket collector; I can’t risk that happening again.

fortunately the train was stationary at the time of my forced ejection.

I’m hoping the smaller Tern Link won’t attract so much attention.
i understand SNCF is ok with folding as long as they fit in a Dahon bag (or big ikea).

but, you might want to rethink the drop bar as they take more space. My helios is back on flat bar (like speed comp) and it is easier for transport in tiny car and space.

Last edited by Fentuz; 02-25-22 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-25-22, 05:43 AM
Barchettaman

Yeah, it was just a ‘wonder what it looks like’ kind of idea.

I’ll stick with flat bars/ Ergon grips, I think. That’s what I ended up with on the Espresso.
Old 02-26-22, 03:14 AM
gleearch

Bikes: Birdy Monocoque Standard Disc, Tern Verge D9, Tern Link D8, Dahon Curve

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have used the Tern carry on bag for trains. It takes additional time to cover the bike with it but it has a handy shoulder strap and doesn't look like a bike. Just an odd shaped bulky bag. They can't throw you off the train. https://www.ternbicycles.com/en/acce.../carryon-cover
Old 02-26-22, 08:54 AM
Barchettaman

I’ve seen this bag for €30 on Amazon. I might take a chance on it.

i already have a black canvas-style bag from the Espresso but it’s too big and has gotten a hammering over the years.

Last edited by Barchettaman; 02-27-22 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-27-22, 06:10 AM
Barchettaman

So, here it is.

Brake cables swapped to EU from GB.

New Wellgo/XLC folding pedals.

the previous owner obviously rode it with the D/S rear brake pad rubbing on the rim, it’s completely gone. I’ll replace that later. It’s ok for a few more days.

The gripshifter works fine and it indexes as it should.

The riding position is very upright and the steering much twitchier than I am used too; presumably all small-wheeled folders are like that?

anyway, it’s super light and I’ll get plenty of use out of it. The light batteries even have life in them!
Likes For Barchettaman:
Old 03-01-22, 08:05 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
New Wellgo/XLC folding pedals.
Make sure when you ride that you keep the balls of your feet on the part of the pedal that is directly attached to the crank. There have been reports of the pedals breaking off under pedaling force, but these were most likely from foot positions more "outboard", resulting in most of the force being delivered to the folding part.
There was a thread about this HERE which doesn't really address this. There used to be a page on the Tern web site advising a more careful foot position.
Years ago I changed over to MKS AR-2 Ezy pedals, which do not have this weakness.
Old 03-02-22, 03:20 AM
Barchettaman

Thanks; the existing pedals were actually fine, it was just I couldn’t work out how to fold them. I have now and will keep them in reserve as they’re absolutely fine. Every day’s a school day etc etc.

anyway I have had a pair of the XLC pedals fail on me, but that was after I tried to service the bearings. They’re not really designed to be serviced.
Old 03-22-22, 07:16 AM
Barchettaman

Upgrades!
406-28 Continental tyres.
stem extender (I had this kicking around in the parts bin)
New handlebar

Old 03-22-22, 01:24 PM
Fentuz

Slippery slop, soon you will be swapping seatpost, groupset etc to be faster 😜
Old 03-22-22, 05:26 PM
Barchettaman

Slippery slope, soon you will be swapping seatpost, groupset etc to be faster 😜

I do have some super light magnesium V brakes not doing much!

I will see how much I use it first. As far as I understand it, I will need a new rear wheel to make any significant changes to the drivetrain, and 406 rear wheels for cassettes don’t seem to be massively common.

what’s the rear spacing on these, by the way? 130mm? 135?
Old 03-23-22, 12:05 AM
Fentuz

I do have some super light magnesium V brakes not doing much!

I will see how much I use it first. As far as I understand it, I will need a new rear wheel to make any significant changes to the drivetrain, and 406 rear wheels for cassettes don’t seem to be massively common.

what’s the rear spacing on these, by the way? 130mm? 135?
130mm. I used and frog bike rear wheel which is 130 (£47 new) but I ad to swapped the hub axil spacer to suit the 130 gap (re used the dahon one)

alternativaly, you can spend more from Holland bike (NL) or Ch white (UK).

Last edited by Fentuz; 03-23-22 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-23-22, 12:13 AM
Barchettaman

130mm. I used and frog bike rear wheel which is 135 (£47 new) and swapped the hub axil spacer to suit the 130 gap (re used the dahon one)

alternativaly, you can spend more from Holland bike (NL) or Ch white (UK).
Great info, thanks very much.
Old 03-23-22, 12:21 AM
Fentuz

Great info, thanks very much.
just measured my dahon smooth hound and my daughter frog 52; both 130mm but as I edited, I needed to swap the non drive spacer because 5 mm to big (may be assembly mistake).

https://www.frogbikes.co.uk/20-Hybri...frog-52-55-Sky
Old 03-27-22, 03:16 AM
Barchettaman

I think I’m going to stay with 406, but get a new cassette rear wheel and go 10-speed at the back.
So for the upgrades we have ready to go on:

Riser bar
New saddle
28mm Continental tyres
Ergo grips
Rear rack
Magnesium brake levers and super light v brakes
105 long cage rear mech
10 speed Tiagra trigger shifter
10 speed cassette and chain

Still to get:

Rear wheel

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.