Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Need a light and fast one

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 03-03-22, 05:11 AM
DLBroox

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Mu Uno, Origami Wasp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

I’ve not been on this forum for ages so it’s nice to be back. I’m looking to get a new folder for some early morning quick rides around my neighborhood before work. I’m up at 5 running but now have knee issues so I want to ride. I have a single speed full size bike and a Dagon Mu Uno. I love the Mu but it’s not really a performance bike.

I’d really like something light and agile at this point. I only have time for about six or eight miles before work. I have to be at school around 7, so sprinting around the block is pretty fun and will make me feel like I’m doing something. Walking just isn’t satisfying for me at 5 in the morning!

I didn’t think I would spend much but now I’m thinking I would if it’s a good bike and I have fun. I’m 5-3 and a hundred pounds if that helps to know. I refer to myself as an aging athlete… 60 year old scrappy gal.

Oh and I’m in the USA. Any suggestions?
Old 03-03-22, 06:15 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
You can look at these

https://www.ascent-bikes.com/mini-velo

https://www.birdybicycle.com/pages/about-birdy
Old 03-03-22, 07:46 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
https://zizzo.bike/products/zizzo-folding-bike-liberte
Old 03-03-22, 09:06 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
You noted that both of your bikes are single speeds, so I assume you live somewhere flat. There are a ton of great options out there, and a ton of price categories. Are you looking for something very compact?
Old 03-03-22, 10:27 AM
DLBroox

Originally Posted by Pinigis
You noted that both of your bikes are single speeds, so I assume you live somewhere flat. There are a ton of great options out there, and a ton of price categories. Are you looking for something very compact?
Miami. As flat as they come! And compact isn't a big issue for me. I'll fold it to keep it in my apartment, but I don't plan on traveling with it.

I bought an Origami Wasp but gave it to my nephew to keep in his car. He fell in love with it during the pandemic when we'd sit outside and visit. He'd ride away and I wouldn't see him again for an hour!
Old 03-03-22, 10:34 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
WOW... These bikes are nice!!!
Old 03-03-22, 10:44 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Don't forget the Pocket Rocket.

Not the cheapest bike on the market, but it could well fit your niche for a fast folder.

Bike Friday builds semi-custom to size.

They do regularly pop up on the nearby Craigslist. I'm not quite sure which model this one is. It looks like it has the 406 wheels rather than the 451 wheels.

Comes complete with suitcase trailer.

It could use a good tuning.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...450574579.html

Odd, they've changed the front brakes between different photos.

Last edited by CliffordK; 03-03-22 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-03-22, 12:00 PM
DLBroox

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Don't forget the Pocket Rocket.

Not the cheapest bike on the market, but it could well fit your niche for a fast folder.

Bike Friday builds semi-custom to size.

They do regularly pop up on the nearby Craigslist. I'm not quite sure which model this one is. It looks like it has the 406 wheels rather than the 451 wheels.

Comes complete with suitcase trailer.

It could use a good tuning.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...450574579.html

Odd, they've changed the front brakes between different photos.
I've been eyeing those. I always thought they were too expensive but now I'm thinking I might really want to spend a few bucks to get a really nice bike.
Likes For DLBroox:
Old 03-03-22, 01:10 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by DLBroox
Miami. As flat as they come! And compact isn't a big issue for me. I'll fold it to keep it in my apartment, but I don't plan on traveling with it.

I bought an Origami Wasp but gave it to my nephew to keep in his car. He fell in love with it during the pandemic when we'd sit outside and visit. He'd ride away and I wouldn't see him again for an hour!
You can upgrade to the Lotus now! It is much faster and the same weight.
Old 03-03-22, 01:46 PM
jdogg111

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
Vilano

vilano vilana, 21 lbs, single speed, 349 bucks on amazon
Old 03-03-22, 03:03 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 72 Posts
I was going to mention BF as well. I have a Crusoe and it's a very zippy feeling bike. They don't make the Crusoe anymore, but it's similar to their road frame, but with flat bars, V brakes, and 406mm wheels.

It's a bike that prioritizes ride quality and fit over a quick fold.

I've been eyeing those. I always thought they were too expensive but now I'm thinking I might really want to spend a few bucks to get a really nice bike.
Old 03-03-22, 03:34 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Unless you want drop bars, consider the Bike Friday pakiT. I love mine. It's very lightweight, actually folds quickly to drop in a car trunk (bike one way, uber home, for example). You can even get it with belt drives (no chain mess) and internal hubs (minimal maintenance). It's fast and cute and I'm 5'4" and the small size frame fits me really well (you'll be fine), unlike the brompton which had too much reach for me. Here's a pic of mine:
Old 03-03-22, 11:00 PM
birdmove

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg111
vilano vilana, 21 lbs, single speed, 349 bucks on amazon
That should say, Vilano Urbana. Single speed, 21 pounds, coaster brakes. Not for heavy riders though.
Old 03-04-22, 04:39 AM
DLBroox

Originally Posted by birdmove
That should say, Vilano Urbana. Single speed, 21 pounds, coaster brakes. Not for heavy riders though.
Ah ok. I couldn’t find the first one. That explains it!
Old 03-04-22, 05:38 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
A single speed bike, even on flat terrain, isn't very fast and cannot compete against a bike with multiple speed.

Note that most internal gear hub have a lower efficiency than a derailleur system (excepted the Rohloff hub) what make the bike slower.
Old 03-04-22, 06:52 AM
DLBroox

Originally Posted by Jipe
A single speed bike, even on flat terrain, isn't very fast and cannot compete against a bike with multiple speed.

Note that most internal gear hub have a lower efficiency than a derailleur system (excepted the Rohloff hub) what make the bike slower.
I am not looking for a single speed for that reason. I have the Mu Uno already. Which is a great bike. But yes, looking for a geared bike now.
Old 03-04-22, 11:01 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts

I still have my upgraded Origami Wasp, in excellent condition. If you're interested, PM me and I'll gladly sell it to you. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. I've ridden it, maybe, 3 times total.
Old 03-04-22, 01:17 PM
DLBroox

Originally Posted by Pinigis
You can upgrade to the Lotus now! It is much faster and the same weight.
It's a nice looking bike. At more than half the price of a Bike Friday. You think it's possible to run with drops on that bike?
Old 03-04-22, 01:36 PM
Pinigis 

It's a nice looking bike. At more than half the price of a Bike Friday. You think it's possible to run with drops on that bike?
Yes, you can run drop bars but they will interfere with the fold. We could swap the handlebar stem to a right-side fold for you so that the handlebar would be to the outside of the fold and would not interfere with the fold.
Old 03-04-22, 05:32 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Dahon Mu D11, Tern Verge P10 would be the mainstream suggestions.

For a walk on the wild side, there's the Dahon K3 Plus.

Upmarket would include the Brompton P and Hummingbird.

Last edited by tcs; 03-04-22 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-04-22, 06:51 PM
DLBroox

I think I decided I’d like 20 inch wheels. The Dahon Mu D11 is in the running. I just watched a video on the Bike Friday pocket rocket “fold” and that might be a deal breaker. The Origami Lotus looks nice but it’s 16” wheels and I wasn’t in love with the Wasp so I don’t know about that bike. But it’s a pretty sweet looking bike. Same with the Dahon K3 and the 16 inch wheels.

That Hummingbird…if I had 6 grand that’d be a cool bike to own for sure!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. It’s been fun tracking them all down. Keep them coming!
Old 03-05-22, 03:39 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Have you considered looking for something second hand?

A Xootr Swift might fit your need for speed well. Unfortunately it's been out of production for the past 5 years or so. These do come up for sale second hand from time to time though.

Snapped this pic of mine yesterday on a ride up from my village Orgiva into Sierra Nevada National Park. I got to where there was some spotty snow at Puente Palo 1335 meters or so above where I started in Orgiva (about 4380 feet of climbing). More than half the ride was unpaved. I'm training to get in shape for a ride on Xootie from the beach on the coast near Salobreña up over the mountains at La Veleta which is the highest paved road in Europe (3380 meters) then down the other side ending up in Granada in a single day. If I don't drop dead on arrival I'll celebrate with a thirst quenching beverage at on of the fancy places under La Alhambra.

I love my Swift. It's a no-******** wonderful fast bike and it cost me a fraction of some of the other high performance fast folders. It's like my road bike got married to my best BMX racing bike I ever had growing up and they had a beautiful clever child together. The ride is very stiff. It's absolutely gorgeous. If you can get your hands on one, highly recommended.

Last edited by joey buzzard; 03-05-22 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-05-22, 07:13 AM
DLBroox

Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Have you considered looking for something second hand?

A Xootr Swift might fit your need for speed well. Unfortunately it's been out of production for the past 5 years or so. These do come up for sale second hand from time to time though.

Snapped this pic of mine yesterday on a ride up from my village Orgiva into Sierra Nevada National Park. I got to where there was some spotty snow at Puente Palo 1335 meters or so above where I started in Orgiva (about 4380 feet of climbing). More than half the ride was unpaved. I'm training to get in shape for a ride on Xootie from the beach on the coast near Salobreña up over the mountains at La Veleta which is the highest paved road in Europe (3380 meters) then down the other side ending up in Granada in a single day. If I don't drop dead on arrival I'll celebrate with a thirst quenching beverage at on of the fancy places under La Alhambra.

I love my Swift. It's a no-******** wonderful fast bike and it cost me a fraction of some of the other high performance fast folders. It's like my road bike got married to my best BMX racing bike I ever had growing up and they had a beautiful clever child together. The ride is very stiff. It's absolutely gorgeous. If you can get your hands on one, highly recommended.
I do look for discontinued bikes. Hadn’t thought about that one but I’ll keep my eye out. If I find one I’m going to come meet you and ride with you there! Those pics are beautiful!
Old 03-05-22, 10:38 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
If a small folded size and quick and easy folding is important for you, you might consider the Birdy R20 11sp
Old 03-05-22, 10:46 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Other than the pakiT, none of the BF bikes are made for quick folding - they're made for packing. The Xootr swift is great but it doesn't really fold small, either. The Birdy fold is closest to the brompton fold in terms of convenience and it rides really well. Or - you could try to get your hands on a Helix. https://helix.ca

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.