Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

For your erudite consideration

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 04-08-22, 05:24 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts

I couldn't find any points of contention with my views
Old 04-08-22, 05:38 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
"No one has ever said cycling isn't fun...".
OH, I bet a few folks have made that declaration... But they probably don't dance either.
Old 04-10-22, 03:45 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
This might be the most insane argument against cycling infrastructure this year:
https://road.cc/content/news/fears-n...iminals-291803
Old 04-10-22, 04:12 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
This might be the most insane argument against cycling infrastructure this year:
i bet if they put a dedicated EV parking lot & EV lane in, those "business owners" & workers wouldn't see any double standard.

A good bicycle infrastructure will be more conducive to a cleaner future than a motorized POV vehicle that is used for personal local transit.
Old 04-11-22, 02:21 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
Hah! That's a universal thing. A local city is putting in a trail that runs next to an elementary school and the first reactions were that it would allow pedophiles into the school! Because pedophiles aren't allowed on streets or sidewalks? I guess?
Old 04-11-22, 03:45 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I've heard the argument against a path as "it lowers your property value."

Opponents to bike path and trail projects often say that property values will be adversely affected but there is not much evidence of this. The National Parks Service hits the mark when they say, “Increases in nearby property values depend upon the ability of developers, planners and greenway proponents to successfully integrate neighborhood development and open space.

The majority of studies examined indicate that the presence of a bike path/trail either increases property values and ease of sale slightly or has no effect. Studies have shown that neighbors of many bike paths/trails feel that the quality of life of their neighborhood has been improved, that the trails were a good use of open space, and in the case of abandoned railways were an improvement from before the trails went in. There is definitely a large portion of the population that sees bike paths as an amenity and will seek out residences near trails, parks, and other natural resource areas. Some studies express that those recently moving into areas near bike paths are generally more favorable to them than those who have lived in neighborhoods before the construction of a trail. In some areas a large majority of neighbors are very happy with the trails, even some who were originally opposed to their construction.
https://headwaterseconomics.org/wp-c...tial-areas.pdf