Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Descending question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Descending question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-22, 02:19 PM
oik01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Descending question

So I tend to get in my head a lot about descending. I'm always thinking that a small mistake and I will not make the curve and end up in the valley .... Literally the only thought.

​​​​​​I think I've been a bit better recently especially under reasonable gradients. But I do stay on the brakes more than most. My biggest issue is when it's really steep going down. I feel like breaking there will be hard because a lot of the force is already just to stop the acceleration and then I'm not sure how I'll slow I in time before the curve. I've had several rides with such very steep bits where I literally stopped my bike, looked down and then came down from a stopped speed.

My second question is that my bike fitter has my saddle all the way forward. I also have a good drop between the saddle and the handlebar. As a result it can be a lot of forward weight during the descent. Do you think that could be contributing? Should I bring back the saddle just to maintain weight balance or do I just go with what the fitter asked for?

Lastly, anyone crashed on descents before? How often do people actually end up over the curb?
Old 04-11-22, 02:33 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
1) Any thoughts...nope. Just maintain a slow enough speed you don't freak out.
2) Saddle position...how can anyone provide any advice when you haven't provided any visual information on what your position looks like? Even if someone was the most experienced fitter on the planet they couldn't give you any advice. What's a 'good' drop between the saddle and bars? Is there such a thing as a 'bad' drop? C'mon, these questions are ridiculous.
3) Of course people have crashed on descents, it happens all the time.
ETA: You've posted this thread twice, report the other one so a mod will delete it.
Old 04-11-22, 02:47 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6943 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Are you racing? If the answer is "no," and I suspect it is, then just descend at a speed that is comfortable for you and don't worry about going faster.

If you are racing, then you should be regularly riding with other skilled riders; watch how they descend and learn from them.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-11-22, 02:49 PM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Just slow down. No need to cause yourself distress about it. I wouldn't change my fit for a small portion of the ride. Assuming you're comfortable the other 90% of the time you are on the bike the saddle fore/aft should be left alone.

It's OK to go slow down the hill. The only thing that matters is how fast you can go UP the hill and that only matters if you're chasing segments, your own PR's, or your friends.
Old 04-11-22, 02:53 PM
oik01

Originally Posted by ChamoisDavisJr
Just slow down. No need to cause yourself distress about it. I wouldn't change my fit for a small portion of the ride. Assuming you're comfortable the other 90% of the time you are on the bike the saddle fore/aft should be left alone.

It's OK to go slow down the hill. The only thing that matters is how fast you can go UP the hill and that only matters if you're chasing segments, your own PR's, or your friends.
Well I just feel like I am always dropping to the back of group rides to make sure no one hits me from behind and then I lose the bunch on some descents if I just stop. So yes ... Safety is more important... But it would be nice if I can actually do the group ride
Old 04-11-22, 02:54 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
I tend to be a chicken descender myself, so I can sympathize. I find myself thinking about what happens if I screw up. I actually yell at myself to let off the brakes as I enter corners, when I know from experience that I'm going way slower than I need to but I can't quite get past the fear. What has worked in the past is to keep doing the descents, so I get more comfortable with them. Also, remembering the basics - brake before the turn; eyes up, looking for the exit, not the pavement under the wheel; use the whole lane but ONLY that lane; front brake > rear brake; scooch back on the saddle if you have to brake hard.

WRT saddle position, I can't comment on yours, but I did find, years ago, that when I had a fitting and the fitter moved my saddle up and forward and my bars down that it improved the high speed handling of the bike a lot. Often, if I'm nervous, I'll find myself pulling back from the bars and I can feel the effect of unweighting the front wheel. Then I can feel it stabilize when I put my more of my weight onto the bars again.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-11-22, 02:56 PM
oik01

Originally Posted by genejockey
I tend to be a chicken descender myself, so I can sympathize. I find myself thinking about what happens if I screw up. I actually yell at myself to let off the brakes as I enter corners, when I know from experience that I'm going way slower than I need to but I can't quite get past the fear. What has worked in the past is to keep doing the descents, so I get more comfortable with them. Also, remembering the basics - brake before the turn; eyes up, looking for the exit, not the pavement under the wheel; use the whole lane but ONLY that lane; front brake > rear brake; scooch back on the saddle if you have to brake hard.

WRT saddle position, I can't comment on yours, but I did find, years ago, that when I had a fitting and the fitter moved my saddle up and forward and my bars down that it improved the high speed handling of the bike a lot. Often, if I'm nervous, I'll find myself pulling back from the bars and I can feel the effect of unweighting the front wheel. Then I can feel it stabilize when I put my more of my weight onto the bars again.

So the weight should be forward except during hard braking? Is that to keep traction on the front wheels?
Old 04-11-22, 02:59 PM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by oik01
Well I just feel like I am always dropping to the back of group rides to make sure no one hits me from behind and then I lose the bunch on some descents if I just stop. So yes ... Safety is more important... But it would be nice if I can actually do the group ride
There's a thing called "sag climbing" which is to get to the front of the group at the start of the climb and then slowly drift back as you ascend. You could try that on the descents.

Are you able to stay near the front of the ride during the climbs? Then just power up and over the hill and roll into your comfortable descending speed and let the group end up where they may.

As you descend more you'll get more comfortable. Especially if you're doing the same decents on a weekly basis. The comfort with the speeds will evolve.

True fear is a gift. Unwarranted fear is a curse. You will learn to tell the difference in time hopefully.
Old 04-11-22, 03:04 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
So I tend to get in my head a lot about descending. I'm always thinking that a small mistake and I will not make the curve and end up in the valley .... Literally the only thought.

​​​​​​I think I've been a bit better recently especially under reasonable gradients. But I do stay on the brakes more than most. My biggest issue is when it's really steep going down. I feel like breaking there will be hard because a lot of the force is already just to stop the acceleration and then I'm not sure how I'll slow I in time before the curve. I've had several rides with such very steep bits where I literally stopped my bike, looked down and then came down from a stopped speed.

My second question is that my bike fitter has my saddle all the way forward. I also have a good drop between the saddle and the handlebar. As a result it can be a lot of forward weight during the descent. Do you think that could be contributing? Should I bring back the saddle just to maintain weight balance or do I just go with what the fitter asked for?

Lastly, anyone crashed on descents before?
How often do people actually end up over the curb?
It can only take once. One local had his neck severed by a guard rail.
Old 04-11-22, 03:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Hopefully these are solo descents or a very small loose group widely spaced. You just need to do more of them till you get comfortable but hopefully not overconfident.

What about your braking technique? You aren't riding the brakes all the way down are you. You should be using them to slow you down to a slow speed then releasing them and letting them cool while the bike accelerates. Just before you start to get antsy about the speed, brake again to slow back down to a speed you can again release the brakes for a while.

As for changing your saddle position, why? That's where the fitter said it should be for you and apparently it's been comfortable for you. If it's more forward than normal, it's probably because you bought the wrong size bike. Get another bike if you want your CG further aft on the bike. But I see no reason to if you learn proper braking of front and rear and realize the front is what stops you.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-11-22, 03:10 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Not unique.
Alone = any slow speed that doesn't induce anxiety.
In a group = back of the group, watch and learn from others.

Good reasons to be afraid of speed:
if there are any tight turns,
grit/debris/moss near edge of road on turns,
other people you might hit,
other people who might hit you,
motorists don't expect bicycles to go that fast and might turn in front of the cyclist,
or not see you in a tuck,
hidden driveways,
far more attention is needed to watch for road irregularities or approaching dogs (or both simultaneously),
everything happens fast, margins of error shrink,
minor corrections at slow speed are exaggerated at higher speed (ie, handling differences),
longer stopping distances (do you regularly practice good handling skills and body position while in a power stop?)

Falls at speed usually hurt exponentially more as your speed increases linearly (Wildwood's Law).

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-11-22 at 04:11 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 04-11-22, 03:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

So the weight should be forward except during hard braking? Is that to keep traction on the front wheels?
Not so much forward as balanced. You should still be able to lift your hands off the bars without falling onto the stem.

Old 04-11-22, 03:41 PM
oik01

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It can only take once. One local had his neck severed by a guard rail.
Confidence inspiring! 😳🙄
Old 04-11-22, 03:42 PM
oik01

Originally Posted by genejockey
Not so much forward as balanced. You should still be able to lift your hands off the bars without falling onto the stem.
Even on the flats I can achieve that only with heavy pedaling
Old 04-11-22, 03:48 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I can share from experience, DO NOT trust air pressure calculators you find on the interwebs.
Better to be too firm and upright vs a pinch flat and being slammed into the tarmac on a twisty descent.
Old 04-11-22, 03:50 PM
oik01

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I can share from experience, DO NOT trust air pressure calculators you find on the interwebs.
Better to be too firm and upright vs a pinch flat and being slammed into the tarmac on a twisty descent.
Tubeless 28 c setup ... So I run them pretty low
Old 04-11-22, 03:53 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
There are techniques for high speed cornering that you can learn and practice but keep in mind that if you are on a public road, you have to be prepared for the unexpected. Loose dirt/gravel in a corner, oncoming traffic in your lane, pedestrians, wildlife, etc. When I was motorcycling, a skilled rider told me that he never took corners at more than about 50% of the speed he would on a track because just about anything could be around that bend. As an older rider, the thought of what can happen outweighs the thrill of the high speed descent.
Old 04-11-22, 03:55 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
For me, handlebar height, riding in the drops, is based on comfort vs aerodynamics. If you are able to comfortably ride in the drops for some distance, then your setup is okay.

It is similar with the saddle setup. If riding in the drops for some distance is comfortable and you don't have any knee pain, then it is probably fine.

As far as too far forward, go find a late 80's mtb with a 150mm stem and descend down a trail. You'll be fine after that.

John
Old 04-11-22, 04:37 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
If I were in your position, I might think of picking a local hill and riding it multiple times. That way I would be sure that it did not have unexpected road hazards, and after the first time, I would know I can take this curve at x MPH (1.6x KPH outside the US) and might feel confident enough to go a little faster and still be safe. As a benefit, all that climbing will make you so much faster on the uphills, your speed on the downhills won't matter.
Personally, I usually ride the brakes a little on down hills to give myself more time to recover from the climb, before the next one, here in Vermont there is always a next one.
Good luck!
Old 04-11-22, 04:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,601 Times in 2,907 Posts
Google Descending on a bicycle. There is tons of good info and instructional videos on YouTube. To get good at it requires patience and pushing your comfort just a bit - nothing crazy. There are definite techniques explained on descending. Spend some time and read about them.

Old 04-11-22, 05:02 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Understand that you'll go where you look. Look through the curves, not at where you don't want to go.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 04-11-22, 05:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Even on the flats I can achieve that only with heavy pedaling
But you CAN do it, right? Ideally, as I understand it, if you had your bike mounted on a trainer, you could lift off both hands, even hold them behind your back, and be able to maintain your torso at the same angle. Yeah, you pedal harder and the muscles in your back and abdomen are working harder, but you CAN hold yourself there.

Old 04-11-22, 05:17 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
I like to be able to essentially stop in the distance I can see ahead. That means slowing down on blind curves. If the road is straight, and there's little chance of dogs, deer, or cars coming out of driveways, I'll zoom down.

A veteran cyclist told me years ago to pay attention to the "curve speed limit 35" type of signs. It's really easy to go faster than that, and if the road is clear, no problem. But that speed limit allows time to stop if there's something laying in the road, a patch of gravel, car in the lane, etc.

There's a lot of confidence with experience. So I know I can stop or turn as needed at the speed I'm going, and I can just ride down.
~~~

High speed descending is surprisingly different!

This Numberphile video was astonishing to me.
I won't spoil the video, it's really interesting and not intuitive.

But the point is that it takes way more energy to stop from high speeds than moderate speeds. Brakes and tires can only slow the rider at a certain rate.

So 40 mph downhills need way more stopping time than the 25-30 mph downhills that seem easy, comfortable and fun to me. I've been using the brakes a bit on faster downhills lately. A short brake, then release, never feather the brakes continuously. It's still fast, but less dangerous. I no longer think "hmm, that was a bit risky" when I reach the bottom.
Old 04-11-22, 05:38 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Tire grip
Tires have more grip than you think. You'll make it around the bend! But. sand/gravel, other stuff can cause a crash, and it's always unexpected if you crashed. If you see it in time, no big deal.

Slowing or stopping in the shortest distance
This is worth training, in a quiet parking lot.

The quickest, shortest stop is with the front brake only. (On paved surfaces, nothing slippery on the road.) It seems sketchy or dangerous, but it isn't. Years ago, I was going down a steep grade when the cyclist in front made a sudden swerve. I hit both brakes, but that caused the rear to lock up the wheel, and it started fishtailing. Yikes! Letting off both brakes briefly worked. No crash!

Shedon Brown had the classic description: Braking and Turning. "If you take the time to learn to use the front brake correctly, you will be a safer cyclist."
I'm more confident when descending when I know I can stop effectively in the distance I can see ahead.

Last edited by rm -rf; 04-11-22 at 05:43 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 04-11-22, 06:47 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
If you think that your weight seems too far forward on a steep descent, try sliding your butt a bit off the back of your saddle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.