Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1976-77 Colnago Super Restored Frameset Value

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 06-10-22, 02:25 PM
rancho66 
Rancho66

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

What would a professionally repainted (me) with new reproduction decals applied be worth? Best case scenario of course. I'm thinking maximum value after restoration to be around $200-$250. In the ballpark?
I have an opportunity to buy a mid to late 70s (pre brake recessed mounting bolts) Colnago Super 58cm Red "basket case." Comes with no parts. I will have to repaint it as there is rust, paint and decal issues. I have painted (base/clear) in the past so know the troubles and prices I will face. I want to give the seller the most money I can as he is a friend.
No pictures, but definitely needs full restoration.
Old 06-10-22, 03:06 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26373 Post(s)
Liked 10,341 Times in 7,185 Posts

...I bought this frame with some cosmetic issues similar to what you mention, repainted it, and built it out. I paid the guy $300 for the frame alone...no parts were included. This is in Northern California. Things are higher here, but my guess is not that much higher. I think your valuation for the restored (by you) frame and fork is a little low.
Old 06-10-22, 05:42 PM
rancho66 
Rancho66

Thanks for the information. I always have a hard time with valuations, especially quality bikes like a Colnago.
Nice paint work on the Colnago. Base/clear? I told myself after the last paint job that I would quit, but the look
of a freshly painted bike gets me every time.
Old 06-10-22, 09:54 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...it apparently spent some time in Hawaii, so had some minor rusting issues everyplace the owner had chipped the paint near a lug or at the BB, and even thought the chrome was still intact, I always thought that the ones with a chrome fork look kind of generic. And I've seen a lot of Colnago chrome start to rust. So I decided not to strip it, but rather to pay attention to sanding and prepping the rust spots, then primed, then overpainted all that with a matched color coat (matching being the hardest part, of course). The stay decals are new, as is the one on the head tube. Then cleared over everything once or twice with urethane 2 part. Just roughed the fork chrome and primed/painted to match

I was happy it turned out well. Sometimes when I don't strip the whole thing, but try to match and blend, I end up stripping everything anyway, because it's just too hard to color match some stuff.

I might be high on my values, because stuff seems to sell for more here than other places.
Old 06-12-22, 05:01 AM
rancho66 
Rancho66

You definitely brought your Colnago back to its full value and beauty!

After going over my friends Colnago I decided it is destined to be a restored wall hanger. Has some serious deep rust pits on the top tube. I could do the Oxalic acid bath for the inside and make the tube look like new with filler/primer on the outside but want to start with a better frame if I have to hang Valuable Campagnolo parts on it (that I don't have) Full paint jobs have become quite expensive with the cost of the professional paint (ppg, dupont etc), clears and hardeners going through the roof.

Quick question for you. Is Colnago expensive because of reputation, build quality and scarcity compared to other makers or just Panache? I have a Bianchi (81) Bottecchia (71), Frejus (67) and a Viner (85) that have values that can't compare to the Colnago. I probably know the answer but started rambling after my morning coffee.
Old 06-12-22, 07:56 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 2,825 Times in 1,994 Posts
Persistent Marketing assists value.
that said, I avoided owning one for decades.
I now have four.
an early Super 1968 and one each from 1973,73 in my size.
a smaller one also for the women of the family.

they handle very well and are much fun.
not sure I would want to ride a century on one.
require a bit more attention.
Old 06-12-22, 11:48 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by rancho66

Quick question for you. Is Colnago expensive because of reputation, build quality and scarcity compared to other makers or just Panache? I have a Bianchi (81) Bottecchia (71), Frejus (67) and a Viner (85) that have values that can't compare to the Colnago. I probably know the answer but started rambling after my morning coffee.
...it's a fun bike to ride, but there are others I have here I like as well or better. I happen to think very highly of the Bottecchia ADR team color bike I have and ride here, Frejus was good in its day, but I just gave away a Frejus frame from the 70's because the geometry was weird, and I did not enjoy riding it. There are a lot of bikes I have that IMO handle as well or better than this particular Colnago, so I do think marketing has played a huge part in the higher valuations you see on them.

Marques like Faggin, seem to sell for much less, and a lot of the contract built frames, like those made by BMZ for various brands, are pretty solid bikes. As for build quality, this is the only one I've ever owned, so I can't speak to that. But it would have been nice if they had used a better chroming facility, and better paint. Not sure I've ever seen one in the original paint that did not have some issues. But the market niche for these did not think twice about repainting a bike, which seems to get lost in the discussions about original paint and value.
Old 06-13-22, 04:50 AM
rancho66 
Rancho66

Thanks guys for the solid information. I sometimes think item/interest specific forums like this are my last source for truth, information and sanity left on the Internet.
Old 06-16-22, 09:06 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by rancho66
. Is Colnago expensive because of reputation, build quality and scarcity compared to other makers or just Panache? .

Just Panache is my vote - and a Colnago has plenty!

but alas, I find no “magic” in the tubes - but a great riding and great looking bicycle nonetheless -
Old 06-16-22, 06:47 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked 2,263 Times in 1,267 Posts
I bought a 1975 here from another BF member and rode it for a year. The original paint was worn, chipped and the chrome was good. I paid about 750 for the complete bike with period correct parts. It was a nice rider but I wanted it to be nicer in appearance and took it apart. I sent it to Franklin Frame and had a repaint done with the original color and correct decals . It rides the same but feels better to be on a bike that does justice to the marquis. I have about 1500 in it and I’m ok with that. I have seen similar bikes go for a lot more but mine is not for sale. One extra bonus is when I get it dirty , it wipes down and cleans up easily. The smoothness of the paint helps.

before repaint dull with chips

After repaint
Old 06-17-22, 11:57 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I bought a 1975 here from another BF member and rode it for a year. The original paint was worn, chipped and the chrome was good. I paid about 750 for the complete bike with period correct parts. It was a nice rider but I wanted it to be nicer in appearance and took it apart. I sent it to Franklin Frame and had a repaint done with the original color and correct decals . It rides the same but feels better to be on a bike that does justice to the marquis. I have about 1500 in it and I’m ok with that. I have seen similar bikes go for a lot more but mine is not for sale. One extra bonus is when I get it dirty , it wipes down and cleans up easily. The smoothness of the paint helps.

before repaint dull with chips

After repaint
very nice!