Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Any tips for broken wrist recupe?

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 06-12-22, 02:28 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts

71 yo in very good health.Broke my wrist and having a metal plate put in tomorrow (6/13). I seem to heal quickly from injury and intend to go enthusiastically at any phys therapy. Any recommendations that might hasten being able to get back on the bike? All the terminology means little to me, but here it is: There is a comminuted fracture of the distal radius with intra-articular extension. There is slight dorsal displacement of the primary distal fracture segment and minimal incongruence along the dorsal margin. There is a nondisplaced ulnar
styloid fracture. There slight widening of the scapholunate interval.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 06-12-22, 02:36 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
71 yo in very good health.Broke my wrist and having a metal plate put in tomorrow (6/13). I seem to heal quickly from injury and intend to go enthusiastically at any phys therapy. Any recommendations that might hasten being able to get back on the bike? All the terminology means little to me, but here it is: (insert medical gobbledegook here)
I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. However, my advice would be to listen to your medical professionals. Don't over do things, or you could end up with a longer recovery than you would have had otherwise.
Old 06-12-22, 02:58 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I recently had to recover from a lot of broken bones and two surgeries. My advice is to find the very best PT with expertise in the wrist. Do everything they ask you to do. Ask them what more can you do. My PT was planned for 6 full months, they discharge me in 10 weeks. The PT told me that patients don't do the homework. Lastly, if the PT is painful like mine was.....suck it up to be blunt. Do your homework on the PT. Start with your surgeon. Whatever you do, don't go dieting when healing. In my case, I would wake up starving and profusely sweating. So, I saw my family Doc thinking something was wrong. He said my metabolic needs were probably 5500-6000 calories per day. And, he said if I wake up hungry that I was to eat. In your case, it is just one small bone but make sure you sleep, rest, and eat well.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-12-22, 03:03 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
at about 60, Wifey broke her wrist on her 1st ride of the year on July 4th, a cpl years ago. that was her last ride of the year. she did ride again the next year. good luck. be patient. think of other activities besides cycling outside. here's hoping you do better than my Wife. I'm sure every wrist injury is different. she healed completely.