Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gloves For All Around Wear?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-18, 09:29 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts

Since REI has a clearance on the clearance I bought the last pair of North Face E Tip Apex Gloves for $30. I have used them for about 2 hours, and although well made, I don't think they are that warm. I need warm gloves for all around wear that I can cycle in that go in a pocket easy. And I don't want even slightly floppy finger tips. I really like the fabric on the Apex.
I may just keep them but am curious if anybody uses gloves for riding that they also wear around.
Old 03-10-18, 06:42 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The description on REI says
Soft-shell material at back of hands blocks wind and moisture.
Lightly insulated.

Since they are made for blocking wind and moisture and are lightly insulated it doesn't seem that they would be very warm.

Just my 2 cents.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-10-18, 07:24 PM
fixedweasel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Commute all year round and understand the different "levels" of gloves we need for light/medium weather. Since money is so tight and a bit hard to come by, I have had great success getting lightweight/medium form fitting gloves from Harbor Freight. I don't use their gloves for winter here but for all other weather where you need full fingered gloves, they are brilliant. From super lightweight with no padding to medium duty with leather padded palms. These damn things are most definitely worth their price and perform without flaw. Just an option. hopethishelps
Old 03-11-18, 02:34 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
As other folks suggested, different gloves for different uses and temperature ranges.

Add some thin glove liners. Any thin woven or knit poly glove liners will help. I have one set from a ski shop bought 30 years ago, and another bought from Walgreens last winter for $5. Both work great with my Bontrager RXL Thermal gloves which are thinner than those North Face gloves. With the liners my hands are comfortable down into the mid-40s on the bike (lower than the temperate range Bontrager recommends, but it's all personal -- my hands tend to stay warmer than my toes). And the TXL Thermal gloves are comfortable in summer heat when I want to avoid sunburns.

For seriously cold rides or walking I have heavier Thinsulate insulated wind resistant ski gloves (comfortable on the bike down into the 20s), and Thinsulate insulated knit gloves that aren't wind resistant but offer more hand dexterity. The knit gloves were comfortable on my motorcycle in winter if I added windproof Gore Tex mitten shells.
Old 03-11-18, 07:32 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I have 5 permutations of handwear depending on weather.

1. Regular cycling gloves: temps over 60F
2. Wind block fleece gloves: temps between 40 and 60
3. Same, but with nylon shell over-mitts: temps between 30 and 40
4. Ski gloves: temps between 20 and 30
5. Wind block fleece gloves with bar mounted pogies: Temps below 20F

Bottom line is that there is no perfect all weather glove.
Old 03-11-18, 08:23 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have some old Giro Blaze gloves, before they started adding padding, that I use for this purpose. Good enough for down into the mid-40ºs (F) on bike or around the freezing point off bike. When it gets up into the 50's I switch to Giro DND's.

I've also found that light/mid weight cross country skiing gloves make excellent cycling gloves if you're looking for something unpadded. I ride road, but I hate padded gloves, so I frequently look at ski and mountain bike gloves to see what might work better.
Old 03-13-18, 07:18 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Wear the yellow jersey gloves from a hardware store for cycling when temp is in 30s F. Then wear them snow shoveling or piling wood or what ever outside task. Same with a pair of material handling gloves, also from the hardware, cycle with them, then go mow the lawn or split wood.
Utility gloves are usually longer lasting and a better value than cycling specific items.
Old 03-13-18, 09:23 PM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
Since REI has a clearance on the clearance I bought the last pair of North Face E Tip Apex Gloves for $30. I have used them for about 2 hours, and although well made, I don't think they are that warm. I need warm gloves for all around wear that I can cycle in that go in a pocket easy. And I don't want even slightly floppy finger tips. I really like the fabric on the Apex.
I may just keep them but am curious if anybody uses gloves for riding that they also wear around.
Good luck finding the perfect glove. If they keep my hands warm they are too bulky. And regardless of everything else, most gloves will soak through when you ride for hours in the rain. No one likes carrying multiple pairs of gloves on a ride. So I learned to use leather cowhide cowboy gloves. Wear then in really well and they fit tight in the fingertips. A heavy load of sno-seal keeps them as dry as any other glove I have worn. Maybe the new thin electric gloves will do the trick nothing up till now has for me. I have used disposable cotton gloves, with disposable latex stretched over them and then a pair of riding gloves a few times. Too much a pain in my ass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC01326 (3).JPG (467.3 KB, 92 views)
DSC01275 (3).JPG (715.9 KB, 92 views)
DSC01322 (2).JPG (436.2 KB, 92 views)
Old 03-14-18, 01:43 AM
bigsky109

Bikes: Kestrel Talon w/carbon fiber 88mm wheelset, Trek 820MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have half gloves for warm summer and just bought some full gloves for a little colder weather. The winter up here can be brutal and I do not ride in the snow or ice.
Old 03-14-18, 05:26 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Year round gloves??? So it can go with your year round clothes?

Originally Posted by StarBiker
Likes For hyhuu:
Old 03-14-18, 06:17 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Lobster mitts
Old 03-14-18, 06:25 PM
providencebikes
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use muliple types of gloves i have used rothco gloves from the army surplus store 20$ us 3m gloves for real cold days mechanics gloves for warm- er times i like the wells lemont cold weather grippers too . you could alway buy insulation material and a water proof layer and make your own...
Old 03-15-18, 11:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
ski gloves are cheap~free, but in the summer , around town , I don't wear gloves.. .