Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Review the route before you ride?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Do you like to review the route prior to your ride?
Yes, it helps me decide if it's something I'd feel comfortable riding.
78.95%
No, I just show up and hope Mt Everest isn't on the route.
21.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Review the route before you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-21, 06:56 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I've enjoyed some exotic locations and it's possible to scout out any destination with tools like Map-my-ride and Google Earth. So yes, I plan my rides.

Nice view and nice bike!!
Old 03-19-21, 10:16 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Nice view and nice bike!!
I've used Map-my-Ride to help find routes is rural Italy, with excellent results;

: https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/409214538

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-19-21 at 10:45 AM.
Likes For Barrettscv:
Old 03-26-21, 01:58 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It's hard to imagine an 18% grade on any event ride without some advance notice, especially a 20 mile ride. This was a road ride?

Try riding in Tasmania! It's hard to avoid the steep hills here.
Old 03-26-21, 02:05 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Prior to moving to Tasmania, I used to just go!
Since moving to Tasmania, I check the routes because it is way too easy to end up on some immense climb and/or narrow gravel road.
Since Rowan's accident, we prefer quiet roads, relatively flat roads, and usually sealed or packed/smooth gravel.
Old 03-26-21, 02:18 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
usually a little bit, yes, for the highlights and such, but prefer to keep a little mystery involved. often, more concerned with support than route climbing difficulties.
Old 03-26-21, 02:21 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
My wife and I decided to take a drive to check out a posted ride not too far away from our home. Thankfully we did this before riding as it was one of the most flipping dangerous routes I’ve ever seen. We did encounter a few cyclists who clearly didn’t see it that way but to each their own.
It’s not always possible to drive them out but we try to if we can.
always best if you have the time and ability. not always possible but totally agree about 100% unfamiliar routes.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 03-26-21, 09:26 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8276 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Try riding in Tasmania! It's hard to avoid the steep hills here.
I'm sure there are steep hills there, but would a charity ride send riders up them on a 20 mile event? The people signing up for a 20 mile option aren't likely to be interested in steep climbs, that was my point.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-27-21, 01:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I'm sure there are steep hills there, but would a charity ride send riders up them on a 20 mile event? The people signing up for a 20 mile option aren't likely to be interested in steep climbs, that was my point.
It would be hard to find a flat 20 miles here. I know because I'm trying to find flat 20 mile routes! I pour over maps. Rowan has difficulty climbing hills and we'd like to ride flat routes but ...
Likes For Machka:
Old 03-27-21, 07:22 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I concur with the comments about choosing routes based on traffic safety and road design, including speed limits, bike lanes, and intersection hazards, such as right side merges and free right turns (in countries in which we drive on the right -- Machcka and Rowan need to reverse this for Tasmania ).

Hills are not a particular concern for me, because I lived in west Los Angeles when I took up serious cycling as a UCLA student, and most of my favorite rides were in the hills of Bel Air, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, and Malibu.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-27-21, 07:52 AM
big john

Originally Posted by John E
I concur with the comments about choosing routes based on traffic safety and road design, including speed limits, bike lanes, and intersection hazards, such as right side merges and free right turns (in countries in which we drive on the right -- Machcka and Rowan need to reverse this for Tasmania ).

Hills are not a particular concern for me, because I lived in west Los Angeles when I took up serious cycling as a UCLA student, and most of my favorite rides were in the hills of Bel Air, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, and Malibu.
A lot of my favorite rides are in the Santa Monica mountains. Last Saturday we rode Mulholland from Calabasas to Westlake and down into Westlake Village. The week before we climbed Piuma and descended Stunt road. Great roads.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-27-21, 10:39 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I have a neighbor who started cycling after knee surgery. He got to where he could comfortably ride around 18 miles locally, then asked me if I would join him on a charity ride sponsored by a nearby cycling club. One of the routes they offered was a short 20 miles. Of course, I agreed.
On the day of the ride we checked in at the registration table and got our route cuesheet. Roads had been pre-marked with colored arrows at the turns for the various routes.
Off we went. 20 miles, most of which included climbing sections with one section at an 18+% grade. (I'll admit, some of those were 'get off and walk the bike to the top' sections.) Needless to say, we ended up totally exhausted, and spent the next day or two resting our knees (I have had knee surgery previously.) We both swore we would never sign up for a group / charity ride again, unless the route was published on something like RidewithGPS to see what kind of terrain we would be tackling.
How do you approach group / charity rides?

NOTE: section in italics edited to clarify for those conceptually challenged
Just a question: The route was either a loop (most probably) or out-n-back. What stopped you from just flipping a U-ie when faced with wall of road and heading back the other way, was the grade at mile 18~19 somehow?
Old 03-27-21, 04:26 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,653 Times in 780 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Just a question: The route was either a loop (most probably) or out-n-back. What stopped you from just flipping a U-ie when faced with wall of road and heading back the other way, was the grade at mile 18~19 somehow?
Yes, it was a loop, and of course, the steepest climb was about 2 miles from the end.
Old 03-27-21, 07:49 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
A lot of my favorite rides are in the Santa Monica mountains. Last Saturday we rode Mulholland from Calabasas to Westlake and down into Westlake Village. The week before we climbed Piuma and descended Stunt road. Great roads.
I remember Stunt Road and Mulholland Drive very well. I bought my 1971 Nishiki Competition at Rancho Park Cycles on a Friday night and broke it in the next day by making a loop up through Griffith Park, across Mulholland Dr., and back home to Rancho Park / Cheviot Hills. Before the ride I replaced the wretched OEM padded saddle with my trusty old Ideale tensioned saddle, which prompted my riding buddy to say, "Ah -- all the discomforts of home."

I am still royally pi$$ed that they destroyed the best hill climb of them all, Tuna Canyon, by making it one way downhill.

Other favorites of mine included the Hollywood hills, Franklin Canyon, Nichols Canyon.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-27-21, 08:03 PM
big john

Originally Posted by John E
I remember Stunt Road and Mulholland Drive very well. I bought my 1971 Nishiki Competition at Rancho Park Cycles on a Friday night and broke it in the next day by making a loop up through Griffith Park, across Mulholland Dr., and back home to Rancho Park / Cheviot Hills. Before the ride I replaced the wretched OEM padded saddle with my trusty old Ideale tensioned saddle, which prompted my riding buddy to say, "Ah -- all the discomforts of home."

I am still royally pi$$ed that they destroyed the best hill climb of them all, Tuna Canyon, by making it one way downhill.

Other favorites of mine included the Hollywood hills, Franklin Canyon, Nichols Canyon.
Franklin Canyon is one of my favorites in that area. Some steep climbs around there! I also like Sunset Plaza, another twisty climb on quiet roads.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-27-21, 09:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
I always map out my tours in unfamiliar areas on RWGPS and look at Google Street View when available.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-29-21, 03:26 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
I believe you, but its hard to imagine 18%. Some of the roads around here are maybe 10%, for only a few hundred yards. And this is supposed to be a hilly part of the country.
I do not preview routes. I guess its all the same.
Old 04-30-21, 02:29 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,981 Times in 567 Posts
If I suspect the ride will be difficult for me, I'd scope it out first. If not, I would just do it (waiting for the cease and desist letter from Nike).

Old 05-09-21, 04:37 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
About 50% of my miles are on gravel country roads. I use Google Earth Pro to evaluate new routes as it gives an elevation profile. I have also driven unknown back roads and new routes. Most routes are relatively remote, so no cafe stops or Google street views.

In the first 17 miles of today's ride, I met no vehicles and was passed three times. Saw one other bicycle.
Old 05-09-21, 05:58 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 1,352 Times in 938 Posts
First, I never said there were 10 climbs. Second, the 18% was the steepest section, not all climbs.
I'll try to word things more concisely in the future.
You said “most of which had climbing sections”. This suggest quite a few climbs. 10? 5? It’s not clear.

An 18% grade on any organized ride would be unusual.

An 18% grade on a organized 20 mile ride is borderline unbelievable. Such a short ride is targeting newer/novice riders.

What’s the website for the ride?

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-09-21 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-10-21, 10:29 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by njkayaker
An 18% grade on a organized 20 mile ride is borderline unbelievable. Such a short ride is targeting newer/novice riders.
(sigh)
That was precisely the point of my post. Here, let me recap for you - My friend, new to cycling, asked me to join him on the ride, thinking a 20 mile ride would be geared towards newer riders. Had the route been made available beforehand, we would not have participated. Is this such a difficult concept to read and comprehend?

p.s.: here's another example of a local ride elevation chart from RWGPS. No, I didn't sign up for this one.

Last edited by Bald Paul; 05-10-21 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-10-21, 01:01 PM
njkayaker

(sigh)
That was precisely the point of my post. Here, let me recap for you - My friend, new to cycling, asked me to join him on the ride, thinking a 20 mile ride would be geared towards newer riders. Had the route been made available beforehand, we would not have participated. Is this such a difficult concept to read and comprehend?
You aren't providing enough information about the rather unusual situation for people here to evaluate it.

p.s.: here's another example of a local ride elevation chart from RWGPS. No, I didn't sign up for this one.
???

It doesn't look like a screen shot from RWGPS.

Was this one of the rides at the event?

These events are open to the public. How hard is it to provide a link to the webpage for the event?

NOTE: section in italics edited to clarify for those conceptually challenged

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-10-21 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-11-21, 06:05 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by njkayaker
You aren't providing enough information about the rather unusual situation for people here to evaluate it.

???

It doesn't look like a screen shot from RWGPS.

Was this one of the rides at the event?

These events are open to the public. How hard is it to provide a link to the webpage for the event?

I'm going to humor you one more time before you go on my IGNORE list. (Feel free to do the same to me.)
Here's more information:
The route was a loop. There were left and right turns interspersed with straight sections of road. The surface was asphalt in reasonably good shape. I consumed approximately 21.3 oz of water during the ride. Tires were inflated to approximately 90 PSI. Now, punch all that into your supercomputer to determine if, IN GENERAL, you would prefer being able to preview the route before deciding to ride it.
Look at a route on RWGPS. Click the GRADE tab at the bottom. Expand the area you want to look at in detail. See? It really is a screenshot! No, the grade example posted was a local ride where the route WAS provided on RWGPS, and after looking at it, I decided NOT to attempt it.
It's extremely difficult to provide a link to the webpage for an event that occurred several years ago, and was advertised via a flyer posted in the LBS.

Now, I'm not answering any more questions until my lawyer arrives.
Old 05-11-21, 07:11 AM
njkayaker

I'm going to humor you one more time before you go on my IGNORE list. (Feel free to do the same to me.)
Here's more information:
The route was a loop. There were left and right turns interspersed with straight sections of road. The surface was asphalt in reasonably good shape. I consumed approximately 21.3 oz of water during the ride. Tires were inflated to approximately 90 PSI. Now, punch all that into your supercomputer to determine if, IN GENERAL, you would prefer being able to preview the route before deciding to ride it.
Look at a route on RWGPS. Click the GRADE tab at the bottom. Expand the area you want to look at in detail. See? It really is a screenshot! No, the grade example posted was a local ride where the route WAS provided on RWGPS, and after looking at it, I decided NOT to attempt it.
It's extremely difficult to provide a link to the webpage for an event that occurred several years ago, and was advertised via a flyer posted in the LBS.

Now, I'm not answering any more questions until my lawyer arrives.
???

You are still bothered by this thing that happened years ago?

If you have access to the route, why wouldn't you look at it?

Do you really need to have people to tell you that?

Here's more information:<list of useless and irrrelevent info>
Useless.

It might not be difficult at all. No event name? No organization name? No location?

Look at a route on RWGPS. Click the GRADE tab at the bottom. Expand the area you want to look at in detail. See?
??? How can I look at a route you haven't provided a link to?

See? It really is a screenshot!
It's obviously a screen shot of something.

No, the grade example posted was a local ride where the route WAS provided on RWGPS, ....
What?? It's a screen of some completely different ride??

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-11-21 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-11-21, 07:19 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
sometimes you can find a ride on Strava or RWGPS even though the organizers didn't post a map. Or ask the organizers if they have the route posted online.

To be perfectly honest, I don't trust organizers not to put me on a drag strip without shoulders, so I'm fairly careful about checking the route ahead of time.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-11-21, 10:22 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I wouldn't sign up for an organized ride that didn't have the route published in some way such that it can be previewed. And yes, absolutely I preview. Strava/RideWGPS, etc. I actually tend to get a little ocd about trying to visualize the ride and its difficulty in the week(s) leading up to the event.
Likes For superdex:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.