Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to wash my bike with wash gun?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How to wash my bike with wash gun?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-21, 09:53 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
This isn't exactly rocket science. Use common sense and you'll be fine.
No, it's definitely not rocket science. Or aerospace engineering. Or mechanical engineering. Or any other engineering discipline.

It's bicycle lore, where the standard engineering practices don't apply.

Old 06-22-21, 06:31 AM
cycling2012

Bikes: Merida x-fit 2010;

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Old 06-22-21, 06:33 AM
cycling2012

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Old 06-22-21, 06:36 AM
cycling2012

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Is that normal after I wash bike with low pressure water gun,but I don't wash hard bearings or not wash it .

Last edited by cycling2012; 06-22-21 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-22-21, 06:50 AM
cycling2012

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cycling2012
https://youtu.be/M2DdRibD6kY
Is that normal after I wash bike with low pressure water gun,but I don't wash hard bearings or not wash it .
This pressure gun
Likes For cycling2012:
Old 06-22-21, 06:50 AM
cycling2012

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Old 06-22-21, 07:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
And the award for the largest photos goes to....
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-22-21, 02:05 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Mechanics are not engineers, and they often do stupid things. Tell an engineer that you’re going to fire high pressure water near bearings, the engineer will advise against it in no uncertain terms.

Pro team bicycle mechanics are equally untrained in engineering and tribology, and they are just as susceptible to picking up stupid tricks, passed down from older mechanics who swear they’ve been “doing it for years with no problems”. I wouldn’t trust any mechanic with a high pressure wand, even the “pro team” ones who claim they are “smart” about how they wield it.

Spraying high pressure water anywhere near bearings is risky. Such practice isn’t allowed in any industry that I can think of. Except bicycles, of course, where myth and lore survive.
Just guessing here but you're neither an engineer (in the bicycle industry, not that it matters) nor a mechanic. Correct?
Old 06-22-21, 03:00 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Just guessing here but you're neither an engineer (in the bicycle industry, not that it matters) nor a mechanic. Correct?
Incorrect on both counts, but why does that matter to you? I don't like to go on about my qualifications, as that falls towards an "appeal to authority".

FWIW, I was doing mechanic work after school and on the weekends in my dad's bike shop before I was able to ride a bicycle. I continued to work there through college.

I was educated in Mechanical Engineering (BSc, MSc), with most of my professional experience on spacecraft designs.

I worked on the support systems of this one, before it had a name:

Recently, one of my Hubble units was on display at the National Air and Space Museum:

Hubble Space Telescope Power Control Unit (PCU) - astronaut trainer unit

This unit got replaced on the third Hubble servicing mission, in 2002. Since it was the power control for the whole spacecraft, Hubble had to be fully powered down to permit replacement.

I had my hand in many other spacecraft designs, but most of them were proprietary.

I hope that satisfies your curiosity.

Last edited by terrymorse; 06-22-21 at 05:52 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-22-21, 03:19 PM
cycling2012

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Is it normal?
Old 06-22-21, 04:29 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I live in a city where every other person is an engineer of some sort. I have heard engineers say a lot of things that just were plain wrong. They always justify their position by saying, “I am an engineer at Boeing.” I played in an orchestra with tuba player who was a Boeing engineer. He spent 20 minutes explaining his reasoning for keeping a chromatic tuner attached to his horn. Problem was he didn't account for the fact that pitch rises in orchestras and so was always out of tune. Drove me crazy playing with him.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 06-22-21, 05:00 PM
cxwrench

Incorrect on both counts, but why does that matter to you? I don't like to go on about my qualifications, as that falls towards an "appeal to authority".

FWIW, I was doing mechanic work after school and on the weekends in my dad's bike shop before I was able to ride a bicycle. I continued to work there through college.

I was educated in Mechanical Engineering (BSc, MSc), with most of my professional experience on spacecraft designs.

I worked on the support systems of this one, before it had a name:

Recently, one of my Hubble units was on display at the National Air and Space Museum:

Hubble Space Telescope Power Control Unit (PCU) - astronaut trainer unit

This unit got replaced on the third Hubble servicing mission, in 2002. Since it was the power control for the whole spacecraft, Hubble had to be fully powered down to permit replacement.

Hand my hand in many other spacecraft designs, but most of them were proprietary.

I hope that satisfies your curiosity.
Very cool. But...it doesn't mean you know any more about bicycles and how to clean them properly than I do. There are tons of shop mechanics that don't understand how nor believe it's possible to clean a bike with a bunch of soap and pressurized water. I have done it for years and as others have said it's pretty easy to avoid ruining things. Just because you can't wrap your head around doesn't mean it's a bad idea. I can't even begin to fathom how to design and build a space telescope but that doesn't mean I'm gonna tell you it'll never work because you've done it. You just have to understand that lots of things are possible even if your highly educated and trained self don't think they are.
Old 06-22-21, 05:15 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Very cool. But...it doesn't mean you know any more about bicycles and how to clean them properly than I do. There are tons of shop mechanics that don't understand how nor believe it's possible to clean a bike with a bunch of soap and pressurized water. I have done it for years and as others have said it's pretty easy to avoid ruining things. Just because you can't wrap your head around doesn't mean it's a bad idea. I can't even begin to fathom how to design and build a space telescope but that doesn't mean I'm gonna tell you it'll never work because you've done it. You just have to understand that lots of things are possible even if your highly educated and trained self don't think they are.
I never wrote that power washing wouldn't work. I wrote that it was risky, which is why I banned its use (and the use of a garden hose with a nozzle) in my shop.

If a technology relies on the skill and caution of the operator, or acquired methods passed down from one mechanic to another, it will eventually produce failures.

Some mechanics can get by without using a torque wrench. It's still a bad idea.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-22-21, 05:20 PM
cxwrench

I never wrote that power washing wouldn't work. I wrote that it was risky, which is why I banned its use (and the use of a garden hose with a nozzle) in my shop.

If a technology relies on the skill and caution of the operator, or acquired methods passed down from one mechanic to another, it will eventually produce failures.

Pretty much all that we do relies on this. Do you have a better method?
Old 06-22-21, 05:51 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Pretty much all that we do relies on this (acquired methods passed down from one mechanic to another). Do you have a better method?
Yes, absolutely: Written procedures for the job, based on maintenance instructions from the manufacturer, documentation of what work was performed, signed off by the mechanic.

An aircraft mechanic doesn't touch a plane without a job card with detailed instructions. The plane doesn't fly until the mechanic has completed the work and signed off the job card, and someone else has checked the job card for completeness.

In my shop, mechanics worked from iPads that provided step-by-step instructions on the job to perform, one task per screen, with the instructions usually copied directly from the manufacturers, and they had to check off each task as they went. Mechanics initially balked at the idea, thinking they were far too skilled to submit to such baby sitting. But quality, reliability, and efficiency all improved.

Old 06-22-21, 06:00 PM
cxwrench

Not a bad idea. It also provides a higher level of professionalism for the customer to see this kind of thing.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-22-21, 06:12 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
There is no problem washing your bike with a hose or a pressure washer as long as you pay attention to the stream and where it's aimed. I've been washing my bikes for over 30 years and not once have I ever had any issues from doing it.

Old 06-22-21, 06:32 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
So you're calling me a liar in not so many words, right? Because I say I've done it and you say it can't be done?
You don't really know how many bearing you have killed. That is just lazy. Those baby bike seals are easily breached with pressure.
“Avoid using the high-pressure sprayers you find at pay car washes to clean your bike. The soaps can be corrosive, and the high pressure forces water into bearings, pivots, and frame tubes, causing extensive damage over time.

Many more on uboob.
Old 06-22-21, 06:34 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by popeye
You don't really know how many bearing you have killed. That is just lazy. Those baby bike seals are easily breached with pressure.
“Avoid using the high-pressure sprayers you find at pay car washes to clean your bike. The soaps can be corrosive, and the high pressure forces water into bearings, pivots, and frame tubes, causing extensive damage over time.

Many more on uboob.
Uhmmm...yes, I actually do. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about here, and it's obvious.
Old 06-22-21, 09:44 PM
colnago62

This is how driver’s education is taught. a torque wrench is not absolutely needed in every situation, it depends on the application. I don't use a torque wrench when adjusting the aluminum seat post on a steel frame bike. I doubt anybody used a torque wrench prior to carbon parts. I have seen people, shops, pro mechanics, myself all use a sprayer on bikes with no negative impact.
Old 06-22-21, 10:08 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by colnago62
a torque wrench is not absolutely needed in every situation, it depends on the application. I don't use a torque wrench when adjusting the aluminum seat post on a steel frame bike. I doubt anybody used a torque wrench prior to carbon parts.
Here's a little secret:

Torque recommendations for bike bits aren't typically set according to the application.

They're set according to the fastener. Here are the rated fastener maximums:

M5: 7 N-m
M6: 11.8 N-m
M8: 28.8 N-m
M10: 57.3 N-m

Bike manufacturers universally seem to pick torques approaching but slightly below these fastener maximums.

Old 06-22-21, 10:08 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
This is how driver’s education is taught. a torque wrench is not absolutely needed in every situation, it depends on the application. I don't use a torque wrench when adjusting the aluminum seat post on a steel frame bike. I doubt anybody used a torque wrench prior to carbon parts. I have seen people, shops, pro mechanics, myself all use a sprayer on bikes with no negative impact.
With respect, no reputable school instructs it’s mechanic trainees not to use a torque wrench under all reasonable situations. I assume you feel the same way about the aircraft mechanics servicing any plane you are on. The same goes for using a pressure washer around bearings sealed or not, it’s not a good idea.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 06-22-21, 10:37 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
With respect, no reputable school instructs it’s mechanic trainees not to use a torque wrench under all reasonable situations. I assume you feel the same way about the aircraft mechanics servicing any plane you are on. The same goes for using a pressure washer around bearings sealed or not, it’s not a good idea.
Maybe true, May not be true. There is this fact that many, many cyclists in the days of steel bikes never used a torgue wrench to tighten anything on their bike with zero disaster. The same applies to cleaning bikes.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 06-22-21, 11:58 PM
cycling2012

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
could you guys tell me is it normal?
Old 06-23-21, 05:09 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
There is no problem washing your bike with a hose or a pressure washer as long as you pay attention to the stream and where it's aimed. I've been washing my bikes for over 30 years and not once have I ever had any issues from doing it.
r
But can you show us that the bike you've been powerwashing for 30 years still works?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.