Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weird rules for the group ride

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Weird rules for the group ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-21, 06:36 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2695 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Right? It’s like a wet, hyperactive Labrador Retriever crashing someone’s dinner party. It just wants to join the fun and doesn’t understand that it’s wrecking things.

Then it takes a descending turn too fast, flies over its handlebar, and goes home wondering why everyone yelled at it. But it will probably still show up at the next party, maybe this time after rolling around with a dead skunk.
Yall can say what you will about me, but the ride I normally roll with has taken me under their wing (frankly this ride is much faster than the one that kicked me out), I'm friendly with some senior members and they introduced me to the ride and told them I was welcome. Also the owner of an Italian restaurant Terun is a fellow rider and friended me on facebook, the restaurant sponsors a racing team, so once I get back into shape I can join them. I'm not a dangerous rider, just need to work on cornering and pack skills
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 06-28-21, 06:38 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Kitsap
It is perfectly reasonable for a club to require helmets and waivers to be signed on the other hand I would not want to do business with a club whose leaders are so incompetent that they failed to notify you of such requirements before you show up for the ride
The OP can correct if I'm wrong, but it sounds like he just turned up. Not sure how they'd notify ahead of time.
Old 06-28-21, 06:48 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
The OP can correct if I'm wrong, but it sounds like he just turned up.
I think the issue is that he got turnt up.
Old 06-28-21, 06:49 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Fwiw soccer folks use the word kit also. Guess you shouldn’t play kids or adult rec league soccer either.
the term kit is used by a lot activities and hows back a long way. When I was in Boy Scouts we used the term mess kit for our eating utensils.
Old 06-28-21, 06:54 PM
LarrySellerz

The OP can correct if I'm wrong, but it sounds like he just turned up. Not sure how they'd notify ahead of time.
Ya, they were like "how did you hear about us" like dude everyone who cycles a bunch around here knows who you guys are, youve been on my radar for months.
Old 06-28-21, 06:58 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Ya, they were like "how did you hear about us" like dude everyone who cycles a bunch around here knows who you guys are, youve been on my radar for months.
Was that you on Canada Road this late afternoon?
Old 06-28-21, 07:01 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by KJ43
Was that you on Canada Road this late afternoon?
yup! Did I talk to you? I met some cool people today
Old 06-28-21, 07:11 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

yup! Did I talk to you? I met some cool people today
We didn't talk. I was heading north and you were coming back south. I looked over and nodded and you nodded back and yelled something at me. I had on a black helmet, race fit grey jersey, black bibs on an olive green Santa Cruz Stigmata.

lmao, once you yelled at me I was over 90% sure it was you. When I first saw you I was like 50% sure (shirtless - check, long hair - check, big guy - check).
Old 06-28-21, 07:12 PM
LarrySellerz

We didn't talk. I was heading north and you were coming back south. I looked over and nodded and you nodded back and yelled something at me. I had on a black helmet, race fit grey jersey, black bibs on an olive green Santa Cruz Stigmata.

lmao, once you yelled at me I was over 90% sure it was you. When I first saw you I was like 50% sure (shirtless - check, long hair - check, big guy - check).
Ooh yeah, it looked like you were booking it and I was yelling that you could catch that person up ahead, you were going up a bit of a hill right? nice effort up that hill dude. If youre who I am thinking of
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 06-28-21, 07:17 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Ooh yeah, it looked like you were booking it and I was yelling that you could catch that person up ahead, you were going up a bit of a hill right? nice effort up that hill dude. If youre who I am thinking of
haha...yeah. I can't help but hammer on Canada Road. Yes, I caught that guy pretty quick. There are some fast people on Canada. The best is when you find someone to trade pulls with.
Old 06-28-21, 07:24 PM
LarrySellerz

haha...yeah. I can't help but hammer on Canada Road. Yes, I caught that guy pretty quick. There are some fast people on Canada. The best is when you find someone to trade pulls with.

Yup totally agree, Canada is a great place to test your metal! I lowkey was thinking of turning around and racing yall, I had just been part of a 3 man paceline/race for several miles which was pretty sweet.There was a whole stretch of strung out riders that we could have passed if I turned around and worked with you. Was getting dehydrated and starting to cramp though (my excuse lol)

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 06-28-21 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-28-21, 07:28 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Yup totally agree! I lowkey was thinking of turning around and racing yall, there was a whole stretch of strung out riders that we could have passed. Was getting dehydrated and starting to cramp though (my excuse lol)
I gave it 50/50 that you were going to turn around and do your best to chase me down so it would not have been a surprise. .

I'll say hi next time I see you.

Last edited by KJ43; 06-28-21 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-28-21, 07:29 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I am trying to picture how I would deal with a helmet-less guy with no waiver showing up to a club ride and insisting on riding with us even after being told he can’t.

I don’t think it would be one of my finer moments.
Old 06-28-21, 07:47 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I am trying to picture how I would deal with a helmet-less guy with no waiver showing up to a club ride and insisting on riding with us even after being told he can’t.

I don’t think it would be one of my finer moments.

Dude I didn't ride with them I followed at a short distance (5-10 ft) and encouraged the stragglers/offered to pull them and informed the group of dropped riders. Besides, I rode 18 miles to get there, you really want me to turn around and go home?

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 06-28-21 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-28-21, 07:49 PM
LarrySellerz

I gave it 50/50 that you were going to turn around and do your best to chase me down so it would not have been a surprise. .

I'll say hi next time I see you.
Yell larry or something and I'll turn around and ride with you I like how you knew I was itching to chase lmao
Old 06-28-21, 07:51 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Yup totally agree, Canada is a great place to test your metal!
That's one of those archaic phrases which uses a word that's otherwise extinct. It's test your mettle.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 06-28-21, 09:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
It's on Alto Velo's website.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-28-21, 09:10 PM
lazarusdal

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sup guys, I tried to ride with a group ive heard about, most of them were super nice but 2 of the leaders told me I couldn't ride with them because I didn't have any kit and didn't sign a waver, which I thought was super weird. They aren't even that fast. Its a climbing ride that slow rolls between hills, so I just stayed behind. At one point another rider passed them on the flats, so of course I had to take off too and was eventually overtaken at the hill, but as soon as I was overtaken I pulled over so as to not "be riding with them." Pretty sure the group leader hates me, meh, and ironically I crashed hard on a corner on the way down a hill after many of them complained at me to get a helmet. Havent crashed that hard on a descent in like 7 years.

My question is, whats the deal with them being uptight about my kit. The group leader told me to come back with a helmet and JERSEY (LOL who requires that!!) is the waver because jerk cyclists will get hurt and sue the club? Whats the big idea here, the local race ride is way more dangerous with much stronger riders, and they don't give a damn about what I ride with.

yeah they have been sued and taken to task by the clubs attorney ... they have to be very firm about newbies learning the rules ... it is not a social club for your entertainment
ah the new world of idiots who obviously hurt another rider and then the club who carries the liability insurance and they had to pay out ... in some states clubs can't exist without insurance ... the rules of the road ...
Likes For lazarusdal:
Old 06-28-21, 09:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Dude I didn't ride with them I followed at a short distance (5-10 ft) and encouraged the stragglers/offered to pull them and informed the group of dropped riders. Besides, I rode 18 miles to get there, you really want me to turn around and go home?
5-10 FEET? That's ONE bike length. If that's where you were riding, you were riding with them. But, you know, following along when you've been asked not to take part in the ride is a dick move, plain and simple. There are lots of other places to ride around here. You SHOULD HAVE said, "Okay. Your ride, your rules. Have a good one!" and gone to ride somewhere else. You're not being a nice guy acting as a sweeper for a ride you've been specifically UN-invited to, you're being a weirdo stalker.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-28-21, 09:28 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by genejockey
5-10 FEET? That's ONE bike length. If that's where you were riding, you were riding with them. But, you know, following along when you've been asked not to take part in the ride is a dick move, plain and simple. There are lots of other places to ride around here. You SHOULD HAVE said, "Okay. Your ride, your rules. Have a good one!" and gone to ride somewhere else. You're not being a nice guy acting as a sweeper for a ride you've been specifically UN-invited to, you're being a weirdo stalker.
maybe more like 15 then, I was well out of any draft. Also, most of the people there were cool with me. There were some newer riders off the back that could use some support and guidance, so I did that. Dude you don’t even ride with groups, don’t tell me I was being a jerk. Unfair

the ride was not hostile to me, just the leader who was slower than me and told me to wear a jersey.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 06-28-21 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-28-21, 09:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

maybe more like 15 then, I was well out of any draft. Also, most of the people there were cool with me. There were some newer riders off the back that could use some support and guidance, so I did that. Dude you don’t even ride with groups, don’t tell me I was being a jerk. Unfair
Oh, come on, Larry. If someone rode 15 feet off your wheel for MILES, you'd sure as shootin' consider them to be 'riding with you'.

You were disinvited, so the right thing to do is to GO SOMEWHERE ELSE, and come back next week with a shirt and a helmet. Now, you've spent a ride stalking them after being told not to ride with them, AND you slagged them off online. Also, I'm not sure I'd assume most of the other riders were 'cool with' you. Most people won't make a stink because most people are conflict avoidant. They rely on the ride leaders to play cop, so they don't have to.

And I rode with a club long enough to know that most riders really would not be 'cool with' somebody without pack riding skills who makes it a point of pride NOT to fit in.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-28-21, 09:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

the ride was not hostile to me, just the leader who was slower than me and told me to wear a jersey.
This is exactly why I wouldn't want to ride with you. You've got a big, BIG chip on your shoulder, and it's always about you being faster than the lycra-clad riders are. Life is too short to deal with that noise.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-28-21, 09:55 PM
LarrySellerz

Oh, come on, Larry. If someone rode 15 feet off your wheel for MILES, you'd sure as shootin' consider them to be 'riding with you'.

You were disinvited, so the right thing to do is to GO SOMEWHERE ELSE, and come back next week with a shirt and a helmet. Now, you've spent a ride stalking them after being told not to ride with them, AND you slagged them off online. Also, I'm not sure I'd assume most of the other riders were 'cool with' you. Most people won't make a stink because most people are conflict avoidant. They rely on the ride leaders to play cop, so they don't have to.

And I rode with a club long enough to know that most riders really would not be 'cool with' somebody without pack riding skills who makes it a point of pride NOT to fit in.
I considered myself not riding with them because I never joined the pack, I couldn't be involved in any group crash or anything like that. As for stalking them, I told the ride leader exactly what I intended to do and he didn't object (he couldn't, its a public road) so they knew I was stalking them. I think they were cool with me for the most part because I got a lot of encouragement.

In any case, im leaving them alone. They are a cool social group but im just not the right fit, don't like structure. Not trying to rag on them, just good natured ribbing
Old 06-28-21, 10:00 PM
LarrySellerz

This is exactly why I wouldn't want to ride with you. You've got a big, BIG chip on your shoulder, and it's always about you being faster than the lycra-clad riders are. Life is too short to deal with that noise.
actaully im rather humble and know there are much stronger riders than me, I just don't like slower riders telling me what to do. It's like someone weaker than you offering unsolicited advice at the gym about lifting technique (not that I lift lol). You have no idea how often I get people telling me to get drop bars, cleats, a helmet, a road bike, give advice on cadence, etc etc etc when they don't even ride seriously
Old 06-28-21, 10:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
If someone rode 10 feet behind me for 20 miles I would assume we were probably soul mates and marry them when the ride is over.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.