Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Style vs. Skill

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Style vs. Skill

Old 08-19-21, 12:22 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
To me, "style" is best applied when viewing someone as they're riding. How they fit on the bike, how it moves underneath them, whether they're wrestling or dancing. The 20mph, 75rpm lazy cruise. In that sense, a and s can be pretty closely related.

As long as the kit is coordinated, that's good for me. I tend to view "poser" these days as 'wearing a UCI team's kit*.'

Then again, anyone I see out on their bike while I'm in my car gets props. They're out there; I'm not. Good on them

And to appropriate Fernando, I've always said, "You have to look good while you're looking good...."

*unless, of course, you're on the team, natch.
Likes For superdex:
Old 08-19-21, 12:47 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
Then again, anyone I see out on their bike while I'm in my car gets props. They're out there; I'm not. Good on them
Yes, this. ^

I have to catch myself sometimes. I'm in my car and see someone riding. I might start to think, "He has a janky looking setup. What's up with that handlebar?" Or maybe "Totally wrong kind of bike for where he's going," something like that. Then I stop and remember, anyone who's on a bike has more biking cred (at that moment) than everyone driving a car. The most amateur, outdated, low-end bike on the road* is more legit than a brand new $15k race bike hanging up in a garage.

* I'll qualify this with one exception. When it's an adult on a BMX, riding on the wrong side of the road, he gets no props. That doesn't really count as cycling in my book.
Old 08-19-21, 02:01 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
The team kit thing depends on locale also. When I went to France for work I stayed in Paris to do touristy things and watch the last day of Le Tour. Fandom of cycling in Europe is more like American football in the US if you had to compare and contrast it with fandom of cycling in the US. There are average joes who don't ride bikes hardly even for pleasure at all in Europe who are HUGE fans of bike race teams. In the US, it's largely among those it is already a hobby. Just a different world.

I've a photo I can't find now from that trip of a 20+ strong Bora fan club all in team kit that rode into Paris the day before the Tour arrived to ride the Champs and then eat lunch together at a cafe along the route. Average rider size probably well over 100 kilos. But good for them. They were living a dream of theirs having a big ole time.

The pro bike circuit is so tight on money compared to things like top tier futbol, American football, Formula 1.........that any cash influx from fans buying stuff (even to annoy people to wear while on rides) means the show gets a little more jingle in the pocket to carry on. League minimum in the NFL is $660000. The league minimum on world tour teams is 36000 euros. So, in that light........I give it a pass if it means I can enjoy watching them race.
Old 08-19-21, 02:34 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
My thoughts of style on a bicycle are such that riders that have high level skills usually look stylish when riding. The comfortable confidence, smooth stroke and handling, exude style.
Old 08-19-21, 02:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,852 Times in 6,069 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
One huge misconception on poser status can also be folks who are thrifty. I often ride in summer now in a Castelli San Remo. I got tired of the bargain kit I had being loose and not wicking sweat and not being comfortable on the TT bike. I got a few of them, used. New they're over $200 each. Used, I got some in fine shape for like $40.

Same for my shoes. My Giro SLX's are expensive new. I bought both pairs I own where someone didn't like the fit and sold them used.

All my wheels are used..........etc......

I have several folks in town that are the same way. We have a few around that buy all brand new nicest kit.
I'm a big fan of "Never Pay Retail". My Sunday ride kit is Castelli - bought for cheap when Performance folded up their bricks-and-mortar stores. And Sidi shoes - bought from Sierra, the outdoor gear arm of the TJ Maxx/Marshalls empire of inventory clearance. Often on my Ritchey Road Logic - purchased with 8 speed Dura Ace in 1997, right after 9 speed Dura Ace came out, for 2/3 list price.

Expensive stuff is often good stuff, and it doesn't become bad stuff when it goes on sale.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-19-21, 03:48 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Style is subjective. A road cycling enthusiast's sense of cool style is way different than a MTB cyclist (or the general population). The only people who find anything about road cycling to be remotely "stylish" are other road cycling enthusiasts. I prefer to wear a loose performance shirt and shorts over my bibs (especially if I think I might get off the bike and walk around at some point. I'll take the cool-points hit on that.
Old 08-19-21, 04:02 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
It's really hot in Augusta, GA in the summer (and if it's not hot it's raining). I saw an older guy today on a cheap, loaded down bike. Neither his outfit nor his bike were anything special. To me, anyone riding a bike because they have to has way more style than someone who is riding a bike because they want to.
Likes For guachi:
Old 08-19-21, 06:25 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
This plays out in a very similar way with skiing. Years ago (like a good few decades ago!) we used to joke around observing guys in the lift line and trying to figure out their skill level based on their gear. If we saw a guy wearing a rainbow coloured onesie we would assume he must be totally awesome to pull it off!

Old 08-19-21, 11:18 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
As long as the kit is coordinated, that's good for me. I tend to view "poser" these days as 'wearing a UCI team's kit*.'

*unless, of course, you're on the team, natch.
I'd disagree with you, but... It's possible I'm a bit of a poser... 🤣 I always coordinate and LOVE a bit of retro team kit!

Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 08-19-21, 11:47 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
I'd disagree with you, but... It's possible I'm a bit of a poser... 🤣 I always coordinate and LOVE a bit of retro team kit!

US Posties kit, on a Posties Trek, in Australia?

That's style for days

of course, I will bust out my phonak winter jersey sometimes, just to be ironic for the maybe 3 people I might pass who'd get it....
Likes For superdex:
Old 08-20-21, 12:02 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
I dont get the whole "poser" thing. Like who cares if someone has expensive gear and a nice bike but are a weak cyclist, maybe they are rich
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 08-20-21, 05:39 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
I have no style and mediocre skill.

I couldn't care less what someone looks like, they can't look worse than me. It's all about how strong and safe they are on a bike.

Old 08-20-21, 05:54 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I dont get the whole "poser" thing. Like who cares if someone has expensive gear and a nice bike but are a weak cyclist, maybe they are rich
I agree. If you were rich, why would you want to ride a cheap bike in cheap clothing just because you lacked skills/fitness?

Having said that, even though I could afford any bike I like (I mean I'm not super rich by any means, but this isn't off-shore power boat racing!), I am conscious of not trying to look too much "all-the-gear-but-no idea". I passed a guy on a steep climb recently during a Sportive, fully dressed in race kit, pushing a brand new S-Works Tarmac, head down in shame. It was not a good look. I'm sure at that moment he would have wished for a temporary kit "downgrade". I know I would!
Old 08-20-21, 06:19 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Because you are a sleeper who crushes the hearts of elitist snob posers. And you don't even know it.
Old 08-20-21, 06:56 AM
pgjackson

I don't care what you look like (or what you think I look like), but I have to admit that I do kind of chuckle when I see people decked out in full race kit casually riding a hybrid at about 10mph. I see that quite frequently. Usually it's someone a bit older, so I guess props to them for getting out there and staying active. But the whole race kit on a hybrid at a casual pace deal cracks me up.
Old 08-20-21, 07:23 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Originally Posted by pgjackson
But the whole race kit on a hybrid at a casual pace deal cracks me up.
All that matters is that they're enjoying themselves. They could be wearing a Big Bird costume or a full race kit, as long as they're not endangering anyone else, their enjoyment is the proverbial "it."

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 08-20-21, 07:45 AM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
All that matters is that they're enjoying themselves. They could be wearing a Big Bird costume or a full race kit, as long as they're not endangering anyone else, their enjoyment is the proverbial "it."
That is true. Still makes me laugh a bit. Who cares what I think?
Old 08-20-21, 07:50 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Old 08-20-21, 09:48 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I'm gonna ride in my sleeveless Pearl Izumi jersey after work .... and my helmet is technically a MTB helmet but I snapped the visor off and it looks better now !!
Old 08-20-21, 11:04 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Originally Posted by pgjackson
That is true. Still makes me laugh a bit. Who cares what I think?
I leave the house looking like this:

I have literally zero room to say anything to anyone about how they look.

EDIT: In my defense, it was a wet/rainy/humid morning. That certainly didn't do my beard any favors.

Last edited by Andy Somnifac; 08-20-21 at 11:36 AM.
Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 08-20-21, 12:39 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
After carefully reviewing this thread, I urge all of you to put aside your differences regarding bikes, group sets, kits, fitness, style, skills, etc., and join those of us focused on condemning those riding e-bikes dangerously.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 08-20-21, 12:59 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
After carefully reviewing this thread, I urge all of you to put aside your differences regarding bikes, group sets, kits, fitness, style, skills, etc., and join those of us focused on condemning those riding e-bikes dangerously.
How does one condemn something dangerously? Sounds like my kind of danger.

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 08-20-21, 01:04 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I condemn everyone on an e-bike .... usually under my breath tho ....dangerous to mouth off to people that aint breathing hard !!
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 08-20-21, 01:44 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist

I love it.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-20-21, 02:51 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
I condemn everyone on an e-bike .... usually under my breath tho ....dangerous to mouth off to people that aint breathing hard !!
Hear, hear!

Those are not real cyclists. Kudos to them for at least getting outside. They could be sitting on their couch getting fat, but they go out and at least try. I don't care what they or their bikes look like any more than I care what someone is doing on his motor scooter. I respect what's done by anyone on a bike propelled exclusively by muscles!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.