Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any good Android app to route bicycle route?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-21, 07:48 AM
mars2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm trying to find an Android app (or any online app) that can automatically route from point A to point B using as many bike lanes (those that are divided either with white line or divider from the car Lanes) as possible. I tried Google map bicycling but that wasn't always correct (even though it shows on the map where the bike lanes are). I also tried komoot and it doesn't even know what bike lanes are. I tried a few other but they are not even worth the space to install. Worse comes to worst, I can do manual route from Google maps and Street Views but that's tedious.

Are there any app you are using that you can recommend? The minimum requirements is that it can automatically calculate a route from A to B using all available bike lanes when possible. I'm in California if that matters.

Thank you so much in advance.
Old 08-19-21, 11:53 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Strava works great for that. Use your desktop computer to plan your route. Strava has heat maps that shows you the popular routes cyclist use.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 08-19-21, 02:09 PM
ExportedFiber23

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would recommend Komoot, I haven't used it a whole bunch but when I have it has been easy to plan routes and works well when out on the road. I'm not so sure about the cycle lane business as im in the English countryside and there aren't loads of dedicated lanes around but I know you can plan routes according to cycle paths etc on their website so I don't see why it wouldn't work. When planning a route it should tell you where you can and can't cycle or of the terrain is poor etc.

I don't know where in California you are but as a general example I made a test route from the centre of Los Angeles to santa monica and it used 13.6 miles of cycleway and only 1.9 miles of road so I guess it prioritizes the best way for bikes until it can't.
Likes For ExportedFiber23:
Old 08-19-21, 02:11 PM
ExportedFiber23

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ExportedFiber23
I would recommend Komoot, I haven't used it a whole bunch but when I have it has been easy to plan routes and works well when out on the road. I'm not so sure about the cycle lane business as im in the English countryside and there aren't loads of dedicated lanes around but I know you can plan routes according to cycle paths etc on their website so I don't see why it wouldn't work. When planning a route it should tell you where you can and can't cycle or of the terrain is poor etc.

I don't know where in California you are but as a general example I made a test route from the centre of Los Angeles to santa monica and it used 13.6 miles of cycleway and only 1.9 miles of road so I guess it prioritizes the best way for bikes until it can't.

I completely missed the part where you said komoot didn't work, my apologies! If I think of anything else I'll let you know!
Old 08-19-21, 07:39 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,010 Posts
Ride with GPS is a great app. Web based so you can do it on the android app, PC, MAC, Chromebook, whatever

Also, while I have never used it, Plotaroute.com shows bike lanes on roads.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 08-19-21 at 07:50 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 08-19-21, 09:19 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I like ridewithgps.

However I've never mapped a route with phone. I've always planned routes with computer. Its very good!
Old 08-19-21, 09:43 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I like ridewithgps.

However I've never mapped a route with phone. I've always planned routes with computer. Its very good!
I mapped one on a small android tablet, worked really well.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 08-20-21, 09:09 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by mars2020
I'm trying to find an Android app (or any online app) that can automatically route from point A to point B using as many bike lanes (those that are divided either with white line or divider from the car Lanes) as possible.
This is going to depend on how detailed the underlying map is, not so much the app itself. If the map doesn't know about bike lanes, the app can't either.
Old 08-26-21, 09:18 PM
mars2020

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you all, for your inputs and I appreciate them all. As to Komoot, I tested with a simple A to B around my area and I know where the bike lanes are and it did not route to use the bike lanes. I tried a few other area that I know and it didn't do right. May it works better in Europe?

Google maps seems to be the only one that lists all the bike lanes/path but it doesn't route to use as many bike lanes as possible even when I selected 'bicycle'. However, it seems the only that at least lets me manually route as all bike lanes are visible.

I will try the apps suggested here: plotaroute and ridewithgps.
Thank you so much!
mike-
Likes For mars2020:
Old 01-06-23, 05:51 AM
shauny
live life

Bikes: Bombtrack arise tour and dawes discovery 201

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mars2020
Thank you all, for your inputs and I appreciate them all. As to Komoot, I tested with a simple A to B around my area and I know where the bike lanes are and it did not route to use the bike lanes. I tried a few other area that I know and it didn't do right. May it works better in Europe?

Google maps seems to be the only one that lists all the bike lanes/path but it doesn't route to use as many bike lanes as possible even when I selected 'bicycle'. However, it seems the only that at least lets me manually route as all bike lanes are visible.

I will try the apps suggested here: plotaroute and ridewithgps.
Thank you so much!
mike-

That is a shame, I've been hoping there was apps that are simple to use without doing too much pre planning, but maybe I'm better off just winging it and seeing where random footpaths end up 😆