Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ride Report & Video....25 mile trip on Jeep-trails in Citrus Wildlife Management Area

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ride Report & Video....25 mile trip on Jeep-trails in Citrus Wildlife Management Area

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-21, 09:05 AM
pullings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts

Ride report for August 28 2021 trip through Citrus Wildlife Management Area (CWMA).
CWMA offers up some great off-road riding in Florida's Nature Coast area.
Over 90 miles of forest roads
Total ride distance was 25 miles (33 miles if I include ride from home to CWMA FR13 entrance).
Had a lot of rain a few weeks back, but conditions were mostly dry for this ride.

I did not see any other traffic. I started on north side of CWMA on FR13, zigged onto FR2, and then zagged onto my destination: FR19!
FR19 portion of ride starts at timestamp 1:30 into ride. I recorded entire portion of FR19.
For the most part ride was uneventful. No damage to bike/body!
I did endo my bike once. A quick dusting off of ride/self and I continued on my way.
FR11A portion of my ride starts at timestamp 14:30.
FR11A is fast and offers up some nice curves.
What a cool place to visit! And to think it is only 3 miles from home!
Shot with a GoPro hero 7 ( I love the hands-off verbal commands)!
Old 09-01-21, 09:14 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
That is a motorcycle not a bicycle.
Old 09-01-21, 09:42 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
+1 to @c_m_shooter's post ...... I have nothing against e-bikes, but if you aren't pedaling, you are riding a motorcycle .... and don't belong here.

Those look like fun roads and if I had them basically right out my back door I'd ride them often .... on a BICYCLE, which actually moves only when pedaled.

E-bikes a great for a lot of reasons., but that is not an e-bike, it is a small electric motorcycle.

Right now I have no idea what those roads are like for cycling.

Anyway .... thanks for the heads-u on the road system .... I don't travel much but if I do, I will remember the place.

In return, i offer this: Cycling is a lot of fun, you should try it.
Old 09-01-21, 10:01 AM
pullings

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
+1 to @c_m_shooter's post ...... I have nothing against e-bikes, but if you aren't pedaling, you are riding a motorcycle .... and don't belong here.

Those look like fun roads and if I had them basically right out my back door I'd ride them often .... on a BICYCLE, which actually moves only when pedaled.

E-bikes a great for a lot of reasons., but that is not an e-bike, it is a small electric motorcycle.

Right now I have no idea what those roads are like for cycling.

Anyway .... thanks for the heads-u on the road system .... I don't travel much but if I do, I will remember the place.

In return, i offer this: Cycling is a lot of fun, you should try it.
CWMA is a great place to MTB ride. That is what the post is about, not really my bike. I did not mean to pollute my own thread due to choice of my ride.
FYI check out the area. Citrus county Florida offers up hundreds of miles of mountain bike trails look at Croom in Withlacoochee state park (50 miles of single track) and Santos (80 miles of single track) next door in Ocala.
It is a very popular biking destination for serious bikers.
But wait, thats not all! Check out Withlacoochee bike path for 50 miles of one of the best contiguous PAVED (and VERY FAST!) bike paths in the country! I kid you not....it is THAT good IMO.
We moved here 4 years ago and I am still discovering new local biking opportunities all the time. :-D
That said, check out my posts here on the forum. I have "tried" biking a time or two. If you ever come to my area, look me up, I'm a drop-handlebar rider! 3K miles so far this year, 4K last.
PS: Ironically when I posted this in the motorcycling forum I visit from time to time, readers there said "that's not a motorcycle, that's a bicycle!!" Imagine that: A two-wheel vehicle without a place to shine for what it is. :-)
Paul

My current ride....fast/light/comfortable/reliable all on a budget. I think I did a build thread on it during peak of Corona?

Last edited by pullings; 09-01-21 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-01-21, 10:24 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by pullings
CWMA is a great place to MTB ride. That is what the post is about, not really my bike. I did not mean to pollute my own thread due to choice of my ride.
PS: Ironically when I posted this in the motorcycling forum I visit from time to time, readers there said "that's not a motorcycle, that's a bicycle!!" Imagine that: A two-wheel vehicle without a place to shine for what it is. :-)
Paul
I am not sure where I would have put this, but one place you are guaranteed not to get "that's a motorcycle" comments is in the ebike forum.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-01-21, 10:27 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I am not sure where I would have put this, but one place you are guaranteed not to get "that's a motorcycle" comments is in the ebike forum.
there or the Regional Discussions section.
Old 09-01-21, 10:42 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
Why would someone as young as you not be pedaling that 25 miles? That's a moped/motorcycle not a bike.
Old 09-01-21, 11:02 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Well .... since you seem like a decent person, we will accept you into the community.

I haven't done 3-4 K a year in a few years .... trying to work my way back to it. Anyway .... Florida is for winter. The best trail in the world is no fun at 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity.
Old 09-01-21, 11:03 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
One positive thing about the way you shot the video is the ability to get through the trail quickly. That sure beats watching an hour of monotonous pedaling.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 09-01-21, 11:09 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
As opposed to 5+ minutes of looking at a dirt two track and couple of mud puddles?
Old 09-01-21, 01:00 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
That looks like a lat of fun! I grew up on dirt bikes as well.
Old 09-01-21, 02:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Looks like fun, riding whatever. But you can asked that this be moved to ebikes, that's where it will be appropriate and appreciated.