Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tubeless: Do You Carry a Tube?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tubeless: Do You Carry a Tube?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-21, 03:31 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by zen_
I have also learned the hard way in a race that it's best to just spend the $40 on a Dynaplug racer tool that works REALLY well, and quickly,
OP here -- thanks for the tip. Just ordered one, even though my racing days are behind me.
Old 09-13-21, 12:25 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I don't carry a tube, but I do (now) carry a set of plugs, a repair & inflate (basically CO2 plus sealant), and a micro pump (in case a puncture sealed but I want to add a bit more air).

Some wheelsets also have foam inserts (Vittoria airliners) in them, too. Between all of that I'm most likely finishing the event or getting home.
Old 09-13-21, 09:56 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Tubes are like umbrellas. If you don't have one, it will rain.
I carry a tube, plug kit, CO2, multitool and a lever. If you don't need a tube, someone else probably will. I went out for a short mountain ride with a buddy this weekend and he left his spare bag at home. Sure enough, he flatted on the descent and need a tube.
Likes For oris:
Old 09-13-21, 12:09 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I cut the sidewall of a tubeless tire a few weeks ago on a broken beer bottle that I didn't notice hiding in the grass. I was able to boot the 2" long gash with a dollar bill, insert my spare tube, air it up and ride it home.

That's the first time in 2 years I've needed to use a tube with tubeless tires, but I was really glad I had it.

I don't really see any downside to carrying a spare tube.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-13-21, 07:10 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
I carry CO2, dynaplugs of various sizes. I also insert air-liners during cold weather season. In case of a catastrophic puncture, can still ride home.
Likes For b88:
Old 09-14-21, 01:58 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I only have tubeless on my MTB but after yesterday I'm going to buy one of those plug kits that store inside the bar end.

I ride sportbikes and last month I got smart and bought a plug kit and stored that and an extra bicycle hand pump under my seat because I bought an FZ1 that actually has storage space for it. I was riding out in the middle of nowhere and hit a nail in my rear tire. For a minute I thought I was stranded but then I remembered I had just bought that plug kit. 20 minutes later I was back on the road. I am going to carry a co2 kit now because the hand pump took forever and gave me about 15psi, just enough air to limp to a gas station.
Old 09-14-21, 06:00 AM
Ryno317
Member in Training

Bikes: '21 GT Aggressor Pro, '16 Norco 7.1 Storm << son's bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, my son and I carry an extra tube and we each have a mini pump. He broke a spoke once that pierced the rim tape and released all the air. Swapped in the tube and we were good for the rest of the ride. I caught a flat after a thorn went through the tire.
Old 09-14-21, 07:10 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
If I am going to be walking disance of my car, like at local mountain bike trails I have stopped carrying spare anything. There was a time when I carried 2 spares and enough tools to rebuild my bike on the trail. I gave too many tubes away and spent too many hours fixing other peoples bike on the trail. If I am heading out on a long road ride or out on backcountry trails I still carry spares.
Old 09-14-21, 07:32 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
If I am going to be walking disance of my car, like at local mountain bike trails I have stopped carrying spare anything. There was a time when I carried 2 spares and enough tools to rebuild my bike on the trail. I gave too many tubes away and spent too many hours fixing other peoples bike on the trail. .
What's the motto.. if you can't beat them, join 'em?
Old 09-14-21, 07:46 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
What's the motto.. if you can't beat them, join 'em?
If I keep my bikes maintained at the house I rarely have mechanical issues on the trail. I don't ride stupid anymore, so haven't taco'd a wheel in a few years. Most of my bikes are SS, so no derailer problems. I remember one time carrying a bike back to the trailhead in 2 pieces wondering why I bother carrying tools. When I have fixed others bikes on the trail, it is obvious there were issues before, but they chose to ride anyway.
Old 09-14-21, 07:54 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
Carry tube, they weight nothing.
They take up space though. I don't have much room in my saddle bag. The tube fills most of it. I've been lucky and have never needed it. I technically know how to change it, but I've never actually done it.
Old 09-14-21, 08:34 AM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Only an idiot wouldn't carry a tube and something to boot a tire with.
Back in the day a PowerBar wrapper was a perfect tire boot.
Old 09-14-21, 08:51 AM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
They take up space though. I don't have much room in my saddle bag. The tube fills most of it. I've been lucky and have never needed it. I technically know how to change it, but I've never actually done it.

Get a new bag. My saddle bag is 4” deep, goes from the seat post to the back of the saddle and is not as wide as my saddle. In it are 2 tubes, tire levers, small pump, co2 cartridge and the head for it.

what is in yours the you can’t fit a single tube in it?
Old 09-14-21, 09:01 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,059 Times in 1,078 Posts
Yes I carry a tube, and pretty much all the things mentioned.

On a 600k about a month ago, with light fading, temp dropping and 40ish miles to go, the rear flatted and didn't seal. Ended up using all the things, including the tube. I finished the ride.

On a 1200k a week later, halfway through day 1, the rear suffered a severe sidewall gash. Gorilla tape, dollar bill, and tube got me to the next town with a bike shop.

I might add a tire, for long rides.