Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano to Campy Chorus

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shimano to Campy Chorus

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-21, 09:30 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Shimano to Campy Chorus

I have never used campy components. What are thoughts on going from a bike with Shimano Ultegra to Campy Chorus level components? Anything to be aware of or considerations?
Old 09-13-21, 09:47 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Shifting system is completely different and I find easier to use from the hoods and harder to shift from the drops which I hardly ever use since the hoods can be more aero and more comfortable. Assuming 11sp-11sp from what I've read you should be able to use current shimano wheels and cassette with no trouble, of course if going from 11sp shimano to 12sp campy you'll need different wheels, Shimano 12sp is getting a different hub design though I've heard the cassette may be backwards compatible to old wheels, I'd assume that means only to 11sp wheels which had a wider cassette body.
Old 09-13-21, 10:56 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Shifting system is completely different and I find easier to use from the hoods and harder to shift from the drops which I hardly ever use since the hoods can be more aero and more comfortable. Assuming 11sp-11sp from what I've read you should be able to use current shimano wheels and cassette with no trouble, of course if going from 11sp shimano to 12sp campy you'll need different wheels, Shimano 12sp is getting a different hub design though I've heard the cassette may be backwards compatible to old wheels, I'd assume that means only to 11sp wheels which had a wider cassette body.
I believe most wheels that can take Shimano 11speed can have the freehub swapped out for Campagnolo. Campagnolo haven’t changed their freehub for 12, but they have changed for Ekar to go to 13 speed.

As far as the ergonomics/shifting style go, I love the Campag system. I find it just as easy to shift from the drops, and you also have the option of shifting from the tops with an outstretched pinky finger. I’ve had 8spd Mirage and currently on 11spd Athena.

Last edited by Leinster; 09-13-21 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-13-21, 11:21 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Definitely worthy of consideration but the shifting action and hood ergonomics are different. Not better or worse. Different.

Best advice is see if you can find a local friend or club-mate who would let you try it out before you decide.
Old 09-13-21, 12:38 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Originally Posted by Leinster
I believe most wheels that can take Shimano 11speed can have the freehub swapped out for Campagnolo. Campagnolo haven’t changed their freehub for 12, but they have changed for Ekar to go to 13 speed.

As far as the ergonomics/shifting style go, I love the Campag system. I find it just as easy to shift from the drops, and you also have the option of shifting from the tops with an outstretched pinky finger. I’ve had 8spd Mirage and currently on 11spd Athena.
Wheels are highly dependent, I have several wheels with swappable freehubs and several without. That said, if I could put a 12sp shimano cassette on my kings and run it I would since the classics can't be swapped and the r45 are really pricey to swap.

I should have added, I currently run 12sp chorus and I'm quite thrilled with it.
Old 09-13-21, 12:42 PM
jad3675

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
The 12spd cassette will work with the 11spd freehub - at least according to their product page.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...-R8100-12.html

I run a Potenza 11spd with shimano cassette. Needless to say, I'm curious if the new shimano 12spd cassette (and chain) will work with Campag 12spd stuff.
Old 09-13-21, 12:51 PM
Russ Roth

Originally Posted by jad3675
The 12spd cassette will work with the 11spd freehub - at least according to their product page.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...-R8100-12.html

I run a Potenza 11spd with shimano cassette. Needless to say, I'm curious if the new shimano 12spd cassette (and chain) will work with Campag 12spd stuff.
I thought I read that but its new enough I didn't want to make the claim. I'm not running a campy chain on mine, using a kmc instead since it was lighter, cheaper, easier to install and I've had good results with higher end KMC.

Since mine was a new, complete build and shimano cassettes weren't available I did go with campy splined white industry hubs and campy cassette though I have a lighter edco cassette waiting for it to wear out.
Old 09-13-21, 01:40 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Originally Posted by jad3675
Yeah, it’s an obvious question, but one that reviewers of the new Shimano 12 obviously won’t want to publicly answer just yet, so we’ll have to see what experimentation “in the wild” does for people.

If 12spd chorus works with Dura ace/Ultegra 12-spd cassettes as well as on 11, a lot of mechanical devotees are going to be very happy.
Old 09-13-21, 01:44 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The current chorus 12 mechanical won't be much, if any cheaper than sram force axs electronic. I made the switch from chorus 12 to force axs electronic last July. Absolutely no regrets. I've now used sram force axs 12 speed, Campy 12 and shimano 12 (xt) chains. The XT 12 speed chain is very similar to Campy and just slightly wider. The axs chain is the narrowest and still the most quiet, IMO. Campy and sram axs cassettes only differ by about 0.5mm in total width. There's no info on shimano 12 sprocket spacing yet.

Most wheels can accept any of the three cassette brands, except shimano brand wheels. No Campy or XDR freehub bodies with shimano wheels.

I certainly wouldn't buy into Campy 11 speed at this point, or any 11 speed for that matter.
Old 09-13-21, 02:32 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
As far as the ergonomics/shifting style go, I love the Campag system. I find it just as easy to shift from the drops, and you also have the option of shifting from the tops with an outstretched pinky finger.

I agree. My previous experience with integrated brake/shift levers included Shimano 105 & Ultegra, and SRAM Apex (all 10-speed). I liked those systems. I LOVE my 11-speed Campy Centaur group. The ergonomics work great for me, and the shifting is very smooth and reliable. Not trying to claim they have the best stuff going, but in my experience, Campy has worked best.

I like my bike so much, I'm considering buying a complete Chorus or even Record 12-speed set, for an upgrade or just to keep on hand against the day I wear out my Centaur stuff. It probably isn't a very sensible* move, as the current components should last for decades and tens of thousands of miles... probably. But the remaining rim brake 12-speed groups are discounted considerably right now, at places like Wiggle and Velomine. Still not dirt cheap, but about $1400 to $1800 for some super nice stuff.

* Not very sensible... in other words, this move would be in harmony with almost everything I've done to my bikes over the years.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 09-14-21, 05:59 AM
jad3675

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Yeah, it’s an obvious question, but one that reviewers of the new Shimano 12 obviously won’t want to publicly answer just yet, so we’ll have to see what experimentation “in the wild” does for people.

If 12spd chorus works with Dura ace/Ultegra 12-spd cassettes as well as on 11, a lot of mechanical devotees are going to be very happy.
Just for future reference, I found some measurements of a chorus 12spd cassette (11-32):
The Campagnolo measures 1.610" from outside-to-outside of the cogs. Each cog is about 0.057" thick with 0.080" of spacing between them (the "about" is because of the machined profile). The 11-tooth cog--like the 11 speed versions--will "fit into" the 12-tooth cog slightly.

Measurements of SRAM 12spd (10-28):
The SRAM measures 1.631" from outside-to-outside, so it is a hair wider than the Campagnolo. The cogs are slightly wider at 0.070 for the 28-tooth aluminum gear to 0.062 for the steel ones. The spacing between cogs is also uniform.

The fact that Campagnolo squeezed 12 speeds into an 11 speed should bode well for the Shimano 12spd working with a 12spd Campag.
Old 09-14-21, 06:58 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
One thing that prompted me to switch from Campy chorus 12 after 25 years of Campy only was the internal cable routing on frames that caused some cable friction problems. Electronic shifting fixed that.

FWIW, I've use a sram axs 10-36 with my Campy 12 drivetrain and it shifted perfectly. I also put a Campy 11-34 on a sram axs 12 drivetrain.
Old 09-14-21, 09:39 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
There are a few different topics being discussed here, all related to the original question.

I can tell you this: with 11 speeds, we are reportedly able to cross between Shimano/SRAM and Campy with no issues. Speaking specifically about cassettes, their width, and cog spacing. (Shimano shifters probably need to go with Shimano deraillers, Campy with Campy, etc) I have found this to be true. My bike is set up with 11 speed Campy everything, including the hub and cassette. As an experiment, I tried a different wheel with a Shimano 11 speed hub and cassette. It ran smooth/quiet and shifted fine.

I can't say whether 12 speed will be the same. Talking about 11 speed stuff at this time might be moot, but there it is, in case anyone is interested.
Old 09-14-21, 09:49 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
I find it just as easy to shift from the drops, and you also have the option of shifting from the tops with an outstretched pinky finger.
I have to wonder what size hands you have, or what size bar you're running -- possibly one with a "short & shallow" drop? -- to be able to make that claim about shifting from the drops. On my Campy-equipped bike, which has about 12cm center-to-center both forward and down, I can only access the thumb levers from one very specific location in the drops: All the way forward, and all the way up against the bottom of the levers. Which is not where I want to keep my hands when riding in the drops.

I have on occasion tried shifting the thumb levers from the tops using an outstretched pinky finger, but I keep worrying that I'm going to snap a ligament in my hand!

So yeah, put me down as one of the guys who thinks the biggest issue going from Shimano Ultegra to Campy Chorus will be ergonomics.
Old 09-14-21, 03:36 PM
Leinster

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I have to wonder what size hands you have, or what size bar you're running -- possibly one with a "short & shallow" drop? -- to be able to make that claim about shifting from the drops. On my Campy-equipped bike, which has about 12cm center-to-center both forward and down, I can only access the thumb levers from one very specific location in the drops: All the way forward, and all the way up against the bottom of the levers. Which is not where I want to keep my hands when riding in the drops.

I have on occasion tried shifting the thumb levers from the tops using an outstretched pinky finger, but I keep worrying that I'm going to snap a ligament in my hand!

So yeah, put me down as one of the guys who thinks the biggest issue going from Shimano Ultegra to Campy Chorus will be ergonomics.
If I’m in the drops, I’m usually descending. If I’m descending, I usually have my index and middle fingers on or near the brake blades. From that position, my thumb can reach the shifter. My bars on that bike are a Cannondale C2 (maybe C3?).

I was able to reach the thumb shifters on my old Mirage 8spd, which I had set up on an old pair of very deep 3TTT bars, so I don’t think that’s the issue.

I wear M or L size gloves depending on the brand. I can do the pinky shift resting my hands on top of the bends in the bar, but not with my thumbs actually behind the top of the bar.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 09-14-21, 04:19 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross

Hit the weights!
Likes For Sy Reene: