Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Greetings from central/upstate NY

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Old 09-13-21, 03:46 PM
PapaEZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hello everyone, new member greetings from Huron NY. This will be short, hopefully not a duplicate introduction. I've just started biking again after two decades. Haven't ridden since I was a teen. I currently have a box store mountain bike, a Kent Northpoint which was a budget purchase to get into biking again and tow my little one in her bicycle trailer. I also have a Retrospec Harper (w/ coaster brake). Neither are great bikes, but they get me riding. Aside from the basics, I knew very little of bicycles when making the purchases and looking to learn more. Looking to ride for fun with the family, possibly commuting and for being overall healthier.

I had some physical ailments that put me down for six months and was relatively inactive for the last few months which didn't do me (or my pants size) any good. Just started riding again the other week, usually a one mile circuit with my eldest (6yrs.) on his bike. Today with my little one in tow I rode four miles which was a blast. Just need to work on hill climbing and general strength/endurance as I struggled a bit.

That's it for now, take care.
Old 09-13-21, 04:05 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
Welcome aboard!
Any bike is better’n no bike. And no reason you can’t upgrade as you go.
Old 09-13-21, 08:13 PM
Yeti4lyfe
Newbie4Sure

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

Welcome
Old 09-14-21, 08:24 AM
PapaEZ

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the welcome.
Old 09-14-21, 08:58 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Own an apple farm?
I used to be the pastor of the Huron Presbyterian Church up there until a couple years ago and it was a great little community. Also ran a bike clinic in Wolcott to help people get bikes running. I towed my youngest two around there in a trailer and it can be quite the workout, as you know Ridge has a lot of accidents and people don't expect trailers so even though the shoulders are good I found it too sketchy, 104 is actually safer. For the trailer the best is to head down to Newark and ride the canal trail towards Rochester. I did that this summer and they've done a great job of maintaining it and even paving sections, what isn't paved is as smooth as any of the roads by you. Don't bother trying to ride the rail trail in Fair Haven, its packed with gravel that's basically large beach stone making it hard to stay up. Can't remember the Martville to Cato section, but I think it was better.
Old 09-14-21, 05:08 PM
Quakertownrich

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts
Welcome! Just walked in myself!
Old 09-15-21, 08:34 AM
PapaEZ

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the welcomes again.

To Russ Roth, No I don't own an apple farm, haha. Though I have worked at one. Thanks for the suggestions on whare to ride locally. Ridge is very sketchy, as are most of the roads in the area outside of town. Oddly I'm more comfortable cycling around the rigs hauling apples and tractors than the other vehicles flying by. We went down lummisville once, but spent a lot of time on the shoulder waiting for cars to pass. The canal trail seems to be the best option, we'll have to check it out.

What a small world this is, figured no one would have heard of Huron NY. Take care and be safe.
Old 09-17-21, 06:46 AM
realdeal17680

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts
Weclome, also from the Upstate NY area.