Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Hello from New York - 1991 Schwinn Crosscut

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-16-21, 06:19 AM
RFSchwinn

Bikes: '91 Schwinn Crosscut; '05 Giant TCR C1; '20 Surley Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought a 1991 Schwinn Crosscut and want to learn more about how to upgrade and care for it. Any owners of this bike - I welcome any ideas, pic or advice.

also a proud owner of:
Surly Big Dummy Cargo bike
Giant TCR carbon road bike

ray
Old 09-16-21, 08:12 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums Ray.

We have moved your thread from our Introductions forum to our Classic & Vintage forum.

Old 09-16-21, 08:16 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Spec page - https://www.bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/...LL/1991_18.JPG

Catalog page

Old 09-16-21, 08:37 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
I'm not sure I would do any more to it than repack bearings with grease, if they are not sealed bearings. Check and replace brake and shifter cables, check the tires and replace if needed, clean it up and ride it. Later on you can figure out if you like the handlebars or want something else.

It looks like a great all around bike and with a lugged steel frame, lots of appreciation here.

Nice bike, and I also appreciate the Big Dummy. Welcome
Old 09-16-21, 09:50 AM
RFSchwinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!
Old 09-16-21, 10:02 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by RFSchwinn
I just bought a 1991 Schwinn Crosscut and want to learn more about how to upgrade and care for it. Any owners of this bike - I welcome any ideas, pic or advice.
I would replace the brake pads with kool stops, and probably the handlebars. I find straight bars uncomfortable.
My 94 Crosscut came stock with butterfly bars.

Likes For daverup:
Old 09-16-21, 10:09 AM
RFSchwinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, everyone - this is very helpful - I definitely want to change the cables, brakes, and handlebars - the straight bars are not comfortable - so in doing that I'll need to get longer cables - a perfect time to swap those out. I'm looking for slightly fatter tires - its has 700 x 38C on it now and I'd like a little fatter if possible. I researching what is available and what will fit. The brake posts on the front fork keep me from going too wide.
Old 09-16-21, 10:56 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 53 Posts
Mine is my current testing bike, and has gone through many changes at this point. Here's my current iteration:

Likes For RobertUI:
Old 09-16-21, 10:59 AM
RFSchwinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey RobertUI - looks like you upgraded the brakes and other components - what did you choose? I was also thinking mustache handle bars.
Old 09-16-21, 07:27 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
You have a solid well made frame from Schwinn’s line up. As long as you don’t go outside of your own fit guidelines that bike will serve you well.

Eager to see how your project progresses!
Old 09-16-21, 07:45 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Hey RobertUI - looks like you upgraded the brakes and other components - what did you choose? I was also thinking mustache handle bars.
be aware, though....it's a hybrid bike designed around flat/atb style handlebars. these designs are long in the top tube and subsequently the amount of reach. mustache handlebars will greatly increase the amount of reach vs the atb bar like any drop handlebar would. iow's, you will very likely need quite a short stem to make the overall reach within your range. also, the mustache is originally intended to be set nice and high around or above saddle height for best comfort. the cross cut's design isn't easily conducive to that, so you'll have to use a very tall stem and/or adapter to make that happen. does this make sense to you? i realize the picture above contradicts what i've just said, but that low bar position isn't for everyone, either.

also, and this is quite subjective, cool as they look, mustache bars are not for everyone. many get them and find they aren't nearly as comfortable as they thought they'd be. not trying to discourage you. just sharing experience so that perhaps you could try them out before purchase or at least anticipate the possibility. i got some a long time ago. road them for a short time and can't bring myself to use them again no matter how fun they look. having said that, it just occurred to me if you wanted to try some, i'd sell these cheap. (honestly not trying to plug a sale here. it seriously just occurred to me. as well, there's some nitto's for sale and the classic and vintage sales section going cheap OBO.)

ps. maybe you're aware of all this already and what i've said is moot. if so, ignore. just felt compelled to mention it
Likes For thook:
Old 09-17-21, 05:10 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

@thook makes excellent points, and as I mentioned, I'm going to a different bar. This frame is definitely not really well suited for the bars as pictured. I do a lot of riding on a bike with drops, so I'm used to spending a ride leaning forward, but it's not the upright position that this bike is more aptly suited for. A much shorter/higher stem was a consideration, but I think I'm going back to the Scott bars that I love! I will probably use the original stem when I go back to the Scotts.

As far as brakes are concerned, I went with some fairly basic Tektros that I had on hand. I also upgraded the crank to the Exage 500 to keep the same chainline as the original Exage 400. I took all of the original stuff off and have it listed for sale, was really trying to keep it together as a group in case someone was looking for everything.

I've put about 100 miles on it in the pictured setup and I really do love this bike.
Old 09-17-21, 05:31 AM
RFSchwinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks thook and RobertUI I'm new at this and all of this information is very helpful. The mustache handlebars idea was simply based on looks - I think I'd prefer a flat bar or at least a slightly raised straight bar. I saw the Surley Sunrise handlebars - would these handlebars work? I'll check out the used for sale section as well. Thanks again.
Old 09-17-21, 07:48 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Those bars are super cool. Keep in mind that they will NOT work with the existing stem on the CrossCut, you need a stem that allows you to remove the whole face (like most modern threadless stems). I have a stem adapter (quill to threadless) to use a modern stem on my CrossCut (seen in the pictures). That Surly bar looks great though, and I think the rise would make for a nice setup. Also keep in mind that with a new stem, you'll need a cable hanger/stop for the cantilever brakes (you can see my threadless version in the picture). If you converted to V-Brakes (something I considered) you can get away without the cable hanger/stop, though you'd need V-Brake levers.

The adapter I went with:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071LLR8PR

For what it's worth... there are definitely other riser bars available that don't have the BMX style bar, which would allow you to keep your stem - basically giving you the same setup the Surly bars. You'll just want to make sure that they'll work with a 25.4 mount for the stem.

Here's just one example of a riser bar:
https://www.amazon.com/UPANBIKE-Moun.../dp/B072ZXT654

These would be a little heavier, but they come in a 3.5" or 5" rise
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AO7HDE

There are a lot of things to consider with doing resto-mods on these old bikes, but that challenge is something that I find very enjoyable! :-)
Old 09-17-21, 08:40 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
The crosscut and crisscross I observed were pretty decent choices.
had there been one in my size when I looked, I would have purchased one.

bought a Ritchey instead.
I would have set aside the biopace big ring, as I did on my Ritchey.