Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shifter broken?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shifter broken?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-21, 02:47 PM
masetheace01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shifter broken?

Hi all,
have a genuine first for me.
when giving the bike a clean, noticed that the chain wouldn’t drop into the two highest gears... I set about reindexing the gears, undid the cable, zero’d the shifter, cannot now get into the bottom 3 gears. (Not the limit screws as did work fine)
did this again, and again, making sure I followed the normal steps, no change.
it,s a 105 hydraulic shifter, only about 15 months old and has been well looked after. Mostly kept indoors, had regular service (by me) but don’t know why it’s not working???
any suggestions greatly appreciated
Old 08-23-21, 06:34 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,016 Posts
Originally Posted by masetheace01
... noticed that the chain wouldn’t drop into the two highest gears... I set about reindexing the gears, ...
Is the rear derailleur hanger bent? By "the two highest gears", are you referring to the two physically smallest cogs, or the two physically largest cogs? If the former (which I understand is the conventional nomenclature), how did you manage to re-index the rear derailleur? The first step is setting the high limit, and the second step is setting the index, both of which involve the smaller end of the cassette.

Rear Derailleur Adjustment | Park Tool
Old 08-23-21, 07:53 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Disconnect the cable from the derailleur. Pulling on the cable end with one hand, shift through the gears with the other. If you get the requisite number of clicks (number of cogs minus one, since you can't shift into the gear you're already in) with a corresponding change in cable tension, the shifter is not broken. Look elsewhere. Be grateful that every other component in the shift system is easier to fix or cheaper to replace.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 08-24-21, 08:56 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
STI levers are extremely reliable, although lemons do occasionally appear. I would assume the problem is elsewhere until you have eliminated all other possibilities.

If the cable is disconnected from the rear derailleur, can the derailleur be manually (pushed by hand) moved through all cogs? Also, as above, with the cable disconnected, pull on the cable with your hand to give it a bit of tension and see how many clicks you can get. If you get the correct number of clicks then the shifter is working, full stop.
Old 08-24-21, 09:16 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
You might want to check to see if your shift cable is frayed inside the shifter. This can cause shifting problems and if you don't replace it before it breaks it can be very difficult to get the old cable end out
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-14-21, 02:35 PM
masetheace01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Result!!

Thanks all for your responses.

it turns out the cable had broken, took to a LBS and a replaced cable solved the problem, much cheaper then a new shifter.

apparently (not sure if 105 hydraulic shifters, or all shimmano hydraulic shifters) it’s fairly common according to the guy at said LBS.