Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Updating Hyper Spinner Bike that i got for $20

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Old 06-14-18, 10:46 AM
TECHEXPERT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,
I recently picked up a new 20inch hyper spinner bike for $20 thinking i could use some parts, but i didnt end up needing any. So i took all the heavy parts off (kickstand, brakes, gyro setup) It is actually a nice riding bike and i will use it on days that i dont want to use my expensive one...

So on that note, i dont like the 1 piece cranks, the threaded forks (which are heavy), and maybe new handle bars....by no means am i looking to spend a lot, just wondering if it is even worth changing these things out??

Any help or input would be great!
Old 06-20-18, 09:52 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. You would never get your money back on a bike like this, but if you like it and you have the extra parts why not? What's important is you get out there and ride.

To switch to threadless forks won't be easy. First you will need a 1'' threadless head set and they are pretty hard to find, and when you do find one they are often pretty expensive. Some used cranks won't be hard to find. You will need a threadless stem as well.
Old 03-21-21, 12:39 AM
Mimiof8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. You would never get your money back on a bike like this, but if you like it and you have the extra parts why not? What's important is you get out there and ride.

To switch to threadless forks won't be easy. First you will need a 1'' threadless head set and they are pretty hard to find, and when you do find one they are often pretty expensive. Some used cranks won't be hard to find. You will need a threadless stem as well.

I recently got a 20” Hyper Spinner (Black/Green) bike off a friend for my 6 year old grandson. But it’s missing the Seat & the Seat Post. Could you please maybe help me with informing me of what size of Seat Post these bikes require??

Thank You!
Old 03-21-21, 06:22 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Originally Posted by Mimiof8
I recently got a 20” Hyper Spinner (Black/Green) bike off a friend for my 6 year old grandson. But it’s missing the Seat & the Seat Post. Could you please maybe help me with informing me of what size of Seat Post these bikes require??

Thank You!
I honestly don't know as there are various sizes. But 25.4mm is the most common and I would guess they would be using that size. Normally I'd direct you to their website but it seems to be down. https://hyperbicycles.com/
Old 03-22-21, 05:45 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
I honestly don't know as there are various sizes. But 25.4mm is the most common and I would guess they would be using that size. Normally I'd direct you to their website but it seems to be down. https://hyperbicycles.com/
I think he was asking if you could take it out an look, it should be marked on the post.
Old 03-22-21, 05:49 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Lots of 1" threadless headsets from the BMX racing companies, kids' racing bikes use them. If you're going to use the existing fork threadless though, I don't think you're gaining anything. Probably be pretty expensive - and it's still going to be the same bike. Any 3 piece crank and BB for American BB should work if you want to change that out.
Old 03-23-21, 04:37 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Viich
Lots of 1" threadless headsets from the BMX racing companies, kids' racing bikes use them. If you're going to use the existing fork threadless though, I don't think you're gaining anything. Probably be pretty expensive - and it's still going to be the same bike. Any 3 piece crank and BB for American BB should work if you want to change that out.
There's actually 3 different sizes for 1" head sets.

1 in JIS 29.85 – 29.9mm Bore Diameter
1 in Pro 30.05 – 30.1mm
1 in BMX 32.6 – 32.7mm

A lot of Jr and Expert bikes (the kid bikes you speak of) use "Road bike" 1" because it is lighter. https://www.bmxguru.com/products/cru...-headset-black for instance this one clearly says 30.2mm inner diameter and will not fit a 32.6mm old school bmx. Like I said it isn't that 32.6mm 1" thread less headsets don't exist but they are getting hard to find. If you know of one please by all means post a link for the OP and help them out.
Old 03-24-21, 08:06 PM
Viich
Hack

There's actually 3 different sizes for 1" head sets.

1 in JIS 29.85 – 29.9mm Bore Diameter
1 in Pro 30.05 – 30.1mm
1 in BMX 32.6 – 32.7mm

A lot of Jr and Expert bikes (the kid bikes you speak of) use "Road bike" 1" because it is lighter. https://www.bmxguru.com/products/cru...-headset-black for instance this one clearly says 30.2mm inner diameter and will not fit a 32.6mm old school bmx. Like I said it isn't that 32.6mm 1" thread less headsets don't exist but they are getting hard to find. If you know of one please by all means post a link for the OP and help them out.
So - OP has a new bike, not old school.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/20-hype.../6000197682593
I doubt it would use that old standard, probably JIS. In any case, the old school 1" threaded headsets are still readily available - or adapters to go to the smaller headsets.
Porkchop has a bunch of this stuff:

Pork Chop BMX Headset 1" Threaded 32.7mm cup

Pork Chop Headset Adapter Cups

Or here's a guy that shows how to mix and match headset bits to put a 1 1/8 threadless fork into the old school 1" threaded. Will work with some combos.

How To Convert 1inch Threaded To 1 1/8 Threadless
Old 03-24-21, 08:54 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Viich
So - OP has a new bike, not old school.
Pork Chop BMX Headset 1" Threaded 32.7mm cup
That's a threaded headset and not thread-less.

Also if you read that thread you will see that trick doesn't always work.But it is a option if the OP wants to try it. The few bmx's that I have come across where the steering is always tight and feels janky but maybe with the right combo he can get some good results.
Old 03-26-21, 06:56 AM
Viich
Hack

That's a threaded headset and not thread-less.

Also if you read that thread you will see that trick doesn't always work.But it is a option if the OP wants to try it. The few bmx's that I have come across where the steering is always tight and feels janky but maybe with the right combo he can get some good results.
Dude - his bike is not an old school BMX. It's a brand new wally world bike. Perfectly good for what he paid for it to beat around on or take when you're worried about your bike being stolen.

The reducing adapter cups I linked would let him run the JIS 1" threadless if it was the 32.7mm size, but I would wager it uses the JIS 1" size.