Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Abiding hatred for bicycle derailleur drive trains

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-10-19, 04:01 PM
Old ABLA Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

Derailleur drive trains are putrid piles of pus. They are promulgated by the industry for two reasons: 1. To make your cycling life at some point in the not too distant future dysfunctional, filthy with grease, out of adjustment, worn out and miserable which then sends you to number 2. A bicycle shop or mail order house for new freewheels, chainwheels, cables and housings, and chain. My hatred for this lousy dirty exposed to the elements high maintenance system goes back to the 70's when I first got into bike racing. I've been stuck dealing with this crap system ever since.

I've wanted a drive shaft system with an infinitely variable ratio from say 20inches to 110 inches, with the only adjustment knob on your handlebars being selector of pedal rpms you want to maintain which the infinite ratio adjuster adjusts so that your pedal rpms stay within that general ballpark setting. There would be no visible parts with all the drive train hidden behind protective shrouding in an oil bath.

Ahh! just think about it - no maintenance, you just grab your bike and go, no more roadside filthy greasy hands anymore when the chain pops off, no more cable adjustment of new or stiff cables, no more derailleur screws to finagle with etc.etc.

I've wanted this for the last 4 decades. We could put a man on the moon with the computing power of a modern smart phone but we can't come up with my desired drive train. Why? Because the industry is not willing to put in the R&D to design and tool this because they know they will be shooting themselves in the financial foot. They don't want a bunch of happy cyclists simply doing what they want to do which is just go for a ride and not have to deal with the grief and expense of the derailleur system.

Imagine my excitement about the new Pinion 12 speed 637% gearbox and totally greaseless Gates Carbon Belt Drive. It's not my dream system but it's a huge leap forward. I recently purchased the Priority 600 and am setting it up now. I live on a dirt road and am pretty excited about it.

On my other old primary bike the derailleur drive train is worn out now and slipping under torque when hauling groceries. I'm thinking the next best thing is to have a Nexus multispeed hub on the rear with the perfect chain alignment that a single rear cog gives you, along with no god awful rear derailleur.

They don't call'em derailleurs for nothing - they derail your cycling happiness when they irritate your cycling life.
Likes For Old ABLA Member:
Old 11-10-19, 04:06 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
I’m sure it makes sense for you. Pinion easily adds a pound or more to the bike. I have had no F or R derailer issues in 30 years and other than chain, cassette, the occasional chainring and cables needed, the systems work fine. My Di2 system is 2 years old and I’ve never adjusted it.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 11-10-19, 04:37 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Shaft drive has been tried and failed, both 20 and 120 years ago. The angle bevel gears just don't work unless they can be really tight, sealed and lubed. NOT possible on a bicycle because of weight and the wheel has to be taken off often.
Variable transmission has been largely a fail with POOR GI range and huge weight and pathetic inefficiency.
Yup, I call them deFaileurs too. Fine for weight weenies but load them up and the lopsided tension spokes start going pling pling. LOL
Rohloff14 with disc for the WIN for me. Dirty chain and all.
Old 11-10-19, 04:43 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I am totally all for technological advancements when they add value, but just in my cycling life, my derailleurs have been pretty silent partners. I'm no kind of racer or bicycle guru, but I have ridden quite a bit. I am about to buy a bike with electronic shifting, but for me, other than that, the biggest technological advancement I personally would like to see is a road tire that is virtually entirely puncture resistant but still has awesome rolling resistance. I would be in heaven. I didn't say it could be done or that I even thought it could be done. And even if it could be done, it might put some tire makers out of business, so the company that developed it might just put it in a corner on a shelf--forever. But it is a dream.
Old 11-10-19, 04:51 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I've often wondered if the derailleur wasn't an accidental discovery. It is, after all, a broken chain drive. It's a kluge, and people have been refining it for over a century (I think). And I'm not a fan of them either.

Still, it has a lot of advantages (mostly low cost and light weight), and even 20 years ago, when I last rode derailleur bikes, they (usually) performed very well (I learned to equip them with Third Eye Chainwatchers.).

Sadly, I don't see internal-gear drives ever competing with derailleurs in cost or weight, both of which limit market appeal and thereby cancel economy-of-scale advantages.

To me, shaft drives are a non-starter. Chains just work, and if you don't like the grease, put a chain guard on the bike.
Old 11-10-19, 05:18 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
II find rear derailleur drivetrains brilliantly simple, work nearly flawlessly, easy to adjust, light, and efficient.

Road, gravel, MTB, commuting... they just work. Like someone else said, a silent partner.

I gather you do not share my thoughts on the matter

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-10-19 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-10-19, 05:33 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,561 Times in 3,763 Posts
Amateur Bicycle League of America
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 11-10-19, 05:58 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
II find rear derailleur drivetrains brilliantly simple, work nearly flawlessly, easy to adjust, light, and efficient.

Road, gravel, MTB, commuting... they just work. Like someone else said, a silent partner.

I gather you do not share my thoughts on the matter
Yep. Pretty simple, imo. I have three derailleur drivetrains, on my three bicycles: 3x9; 2x10; and now 1x11.

They all work, flawlessly, and have done so over the years that I have had them. Light, efficient, and requiring only a modicum of maintenance: wipe off/lube the chains; change the chain when worn; change the cassette when worn; change the chainring(s) when worn, and keep the cables (inner and outer) in decent condition.

I'm sure that at some point someone will develop an internal gearbox system that is as light, reliable, and efficient as a derailleur system. If and when that day comes, I'll welcome it, but until then I'm perfectly happy with what works and has done so for decades.
Likes For badger1:
Old 11-10-19, 06:37 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,435 Times in 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Old ABLA Member
Derailleur drive trains are putrid piles of pus. They are promulgated by the industry for two reasons: 1. To make your cycling life at some point in the not too distant future dysfunctional, filthy with grease, out of adjustment, worn out and miserable which then sends you to number 2. A bicycle shop or mail order house for new freewheels, chainwheels, cables and housings, and chain. My hatred for this lousy dirty exposed to the elements high maintenance system goes back to the 70's when I first got into bike racing. I've been stuck dealing with this crap system ever since.

I've wanted a drive shaft system with an infinitely variable ratio from say 20inches to 110 inches, with the only adjustment knob on your handlebars being selector of pedal rpms you want to maintain which the infinite ratio adjuster adjusts so that your pedal rpms stay within that general ballpark setting. There would be no visible parts with all the drive train hidden behind protective shrouding in an oil bath.

Ahh! just think about it - no maintenance, you just grab your bike and go, no more roadside filthy greasy hands anymore when the chain pops off, no more cable adjustment of new or stiff cables, no more derailleur screws to finagle with etc.etc.

I've wanted this for the last 4 decades. We could put a man on the moon with the computing power of a modern smart phone but we can't come up with my desired drive train. Why? Because the industry is not willing to put in the R&D to design and tool this because they know they will be shooting themselves in the financial foot. They don't want a bunch of happy cyclists simply doing what they want to do which is just go for a ride and not have to deal with the grief and expense of the derailleur system.

Imagine my excitement about the new Pinion 12 speed 637% gearbox and totally greaseless Gates Carbon Belt Drive. It's not my dream system but it's a huge leap forward. I recently purchased the Priority 600 and am setting it up now. I live on a dirt road and am pretty excited about it.

On my other old primary bike the derailleur drive train is worn out now and slipping under torque when hauling groceries. I'm thinking the next best thing is to have a Nexus multispeed hub on the rear with the perfect chain alignment that a single rear cog gives you, along with no god awful rear derailleur.

They don't call'em derailleurs for nothing - they derail your cycling happiness when they irritate your cycling life.
Your post reads like a guerilla marketing campaign. Not too direct, but pretty much a marketing-driven post. Front and rear derailleurs on my bikes work fine. Every mechanical system needs periodic maintenance, and I find the exposed gears and shifting mechanisms easy to maintain and fix (when they need it, which is infrequent). IGH hubs are interesting, but I don't see a need to change when what I have works great.

And continuously variable shifting? Ask mechanics about the CVTs on newer automobiles - still a lot of problems with them creating maintenance issues and short lifespans. No thank you. .
Likes For skidder:
Old 11-10-19, 07:07 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Somebody didn't read Park Tool and Sheldon Brown.

I've maintained my bikes for 20 years and the derailleurs are rarely a problem.

I guess some people just don't understand rocket science! I have adjusted derailleurs on during several road side repairs for strangers. Once I show them the basics, they see it's not a big deal. Pretty easy. Keep em clean, not much hassle.
Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 11-10-19, 07:14 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Either you have mechanical aptitude or you don’t. Someone clearly doesn’t!
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 11-10-19, 07:51 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
This is good bikeforums.

You know what I hate? Round tires. We can put a man on the moon (50 years ago) so why can't we get dodecahedron tires?

It's all a conspiracy by Big Circle, I'm telling you.
Old 11-10-19, 07:56 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
I guess I was able to figure out derailleurs w/o too much drama and haven't had OP's issues. However, that Priority is an interesting bike and I look forward to a report when OP has some miles on it.
Old 11-10-19, 07:57 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Between the Rohloff Speedhub, Nuvinci CVT, and Pinion gearboxes (combined with belt drive), you have plenty of much cleaner, more self-contained options at your disposal.

Mass-market bicycle design is more focused on light weight, speed, and efficiency, not necessarily convenience and longevity of wear components.
Old 11-10-19, 08:15 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
No, they aren’t. Not really. I find them simple to understand and easy to maintain. They do their job with a lot less weight and complexity than other systems I’ve seen. I’ve got derailers that have 20,000+ miles on them and I got them used to begin with. I can usually make even cheap HelMart derailers purr with simple cable adjustment.

That’s not really all that impressive for range. A “normal” 44/34/22 11-34 derailer drivetrain has a 618% range. A bit of file work and a change to a 20 tooth inner and a 36 tooth cassette extends that to 720%. My touring bike uses a 48/34/20 crank and an 11-36 cassette for a whopping 785% range.

And both do that for about 1200 grams less.

If your drivetrain is slipping under torque, you should have maintained it better. Don’t blame the tools, blame the mechanic.

Originally Posted by rollagain
Chains just work, and if you don't like the grease, put a chain guard on the bike.

Or don’t use grease...or more specifically, oil... on the chain. I haven’t used oil on my chains in more then 25 years. I don’t deal with dirty drivetrains because my drivetrains don’t get dirty.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-10-19, 08:34 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
You're certainly welcome to put in the R&D and find financial backers. You've had 40 years to do it.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-10-19, 08:44 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Or don’t use grease...or more specifically, oil... on the chain. I haven’t used oil on my chains in more then 25 years. I don’t deal with dirty drivetrains because my drivetrains don’t get dirty.
Sorry, I plumb forgot about wax, and I used to use it myself back then, plain old kitchen paraffin. It also gives you an opportunity to measure the chain for stretch, which is probably why the OP's transmission is skipping.
Old 11-10-19, 10:08 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I'm not a fan of derailleurs, but it's the only way to get the range I like.

I'm struggling with the tandem. The extra long gear cable and 10 speeds have proven impossible to get right. I have no choice because I use a rear hub motor, but I'll go back to the more forgiving 8-speed on the next full rebuild.
Old 11-11-19, 03:54 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
Derailleurs are a simple but crude way of shifting gears. Bend the chain until it has to go to the other sprocket. They work pretty well in nice weather with friction shifters and 5 or less sprockets on the rear. They make sense in niche applications like racing and mountain biking where weight is believed to be a factor.

For normal everyday riding, commuting etc. IGHs are more suitable. But only Rohloff and SA-AW.
Old 11-11-19, 06:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Winter has come early to the northern hemisphere.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-11-19, 07:48 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
https://www.evelo.com/evelo-differen...-transmission/
Continuously variable, automatic bicycle transmissions are already on the street.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-11-19, 07:50 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Winter has come early to the northern hemisphere.
It's snowing now but will be 65 and sunny on Wednesday.
Old 11-11-19, 08:02 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Old ALBA, thank you for the entertaining rant. Turned out being a good read for me this morning.

I too want to hear how your Priority Pinion 600 works for you now and over time.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 11-11-19, 08:03 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I wonder if there is a correlation between those insisting that derailleur shifting is garbage and those insisting they don’t need a hangar alignment gauge.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-11-19, 08:38 AM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
It's too bad you have such a problem with maintenance and your first post at that! Bummer. I enjoy maintaining the gear train on my vintage bicycles. I still ride the ones I raced. I do maintenance often enough that nothing ever, or hardly ever, needs replacing and they aren't that grimey. They are so clean, shiney and quiet! This gives more incentive to ride, too! It gives me a chance to use my Campagnolo tools of which I have almost every one. If I could only find a nice Campagnolo wooden chest for them all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.