Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The low standard of lockdown pedestrianism

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

The low standard of lockdown pedestrianism

Old 07-21-21, 06:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Here the same MUPs are markedly different depending upon location. In some places, they are packed with other users. Two miles further, you have them almost to yourself. Much like riding on the road, it helps to stay on high guard and to try to be respectful of other users.

Right, I don't think there's anywhere in the US where MUPs are uniformly bike friendly. I've pretty much decided to avoid any path in MA that's labeled as a "Greenway" as those are basically walking paths that "allow" bicycling. Other MUPs in MA can be great, and much faster than roads. I think there are, however, places in the US where the MUPs universally suck for bike riding.
Old 07-22-21, 11:57 AM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I learned pedestrians on the streets are even more obnoxious than pedestrians on the MUP. At least on the MUP, pedestrians won't make me late for a green light or get into an argument with a motorist.
Old 07-22-21, 12:05 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by EviLDORK
I learned pedestrians on the streets are even more obnoxious than pedestrians on the MUP. At least on the MUP, pedestrians won't make me late for a green light or get into an argument with a motorist.
I have not encountered any issues with pedestrians on the streets, but there are a few joggers who jog in the bike lane against the direction of traffic, and when they encounter a cyclist, they expect the cyclist to veer left toward potential traffic in the rightmost motor vehicle lane, rather than simply hop onto the curb for a couple of steps.
Old 07-22-21, 12:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I have not encountered any issues with pedestrians on the streets, but there are a few joggers who jog in the bike lane against the direction of traffic, and when they encounter a cyclist, they expect the cyclist to veer left toward potential traffic in the rightmost motor vehicle lane, rather than simply hop onto the curb for a couple of steps.
In situations that I feel I'm in the right, I'll just stop. Then they have to make a decision. On the MUP, the last time I did this the runner stopped and ask me why. I explained that the MUP guidelines ask that all traffic keep right and pass on the left.

Though it sounds like this is a bike lane sandwiched between road and sidewalk. I've no idea for that.

Although at one time I thought that only walkers were supposed to walk against traffic on the open roads with motor vehicles. I thought that runners, roller skaters, cyclists and most anyone or thing that wasn't walking was supposed to travel with the traffic.
Old 07-22-21, 12:56 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
In situations that I feel I'm in the right, I'll just stop. Then they have to make a decision. On the MUP, the last time I did this the runner stopped and ask me why. I explained that the MUP guidelines ask that all traffic keep right and pass on the left.
I just look over my left shoulder and try to give the jogger a wide berth, by moving into the rightmost motor vehicle traffic lane if it is empty. There is no point for me to try to enforce the rules of the road when I am on my bike and at my most vulnerable. Once I stopped because there was an approaching car in the rightmost motor vehicle traffic lane, and the jogger screamed some obscenities at me regarding cycling and my ethnicity. In the USA, even in a pretty bike-friendly city, cyclists are regarded by non-cyclists with disdain.

Cycling on screen: why the Spandex-clad man-child still rules movies and TV. (slate.com)

On most local MUPs, cyclists are supposed to yield to pedestrians and both are supposed to yield to horses. Thankfully, I have not encountered any horses yet; I suppose that if one has sufficient means to keep a horse in Orange County, one would also be very concerned about the potential liability should there be any mishaps. This guideline pretty much gives pedestrians a free reign to move around unpredictably. I only know of one MUP with separate lanes for cyclists and pedestrians, and it is less chaotic than the others.

Originally Posted by Iride01
Though it sounds like this is a bike lane sandwiched between road and sidewalk. I've no idea for that.
From left to right: road, clearly marked bike lane, curb, grass area, sidewalk. When my son was young and I cycled slowly with him on the sidewalk, we always slow or stop and yield to pedestrians, and most are courteous and accommodating. My issue is only with joggers who prefer to jog in the smoother bike lane but refuse to yield to cyclists.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 07-22-21 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-22-21, 01:10 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
On most local MUPs, cyclists are supposed to yield to pedestrians and both are supposed to yield to horses. Thankfully, I have not encountered any horses yet; I suppose that if one has sufficient means to keep a horse in Orange County, one would also be very concerned about the potential liability should there be any mishaps. This guideline pretty much gives pedestrian a free reign to move around unpredictably. I only know of one MUP with separate lanes for cyclists and pedestrians, and it is less chaotic than the others.
Of course pedestrians, runners and others have the ROW over cyclists. But at some point someone has to point out bad behavior. The runner had been running on the wrong side for several months. Usually noobs figure it out after a few weeks. Perhaps they finally read the sign that they pass.

Many times when I encounter a person on the wrong side of things, it's along with a bunch of others that are not in the same group. So simply moving out of the runners way that I mentioned would have put me square on a collision course with others that were in their correct lane. So this is one reason why stopping was the better option. Since the runner was inquisitive, he found out something he didn't realize and ever since he's run on the correct side.

I wouldn't have said anything to him if he hadn't ask.
Old 07-28-21, 02:39 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
People are not the problem. The problem is ear buds and all kinds of electronic nonsense that dulls their senses and makes them loose awareness of what's happening around them,
Don't get me started on effing Stand Up Paddle Boarders!

I'm also a rower and during the pandemic there has been a huge increase in the number of SUPs on the local river.

I get it. SUPs are fun, easy to learn, and enable you to exercise on the wonderful waterways.

BUT for the love of God don't wear earbuds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm toe-steering a quadruple scull at speed while facing backwards and I can only do so much thinking for you!