Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Single cogs for shimamo 7/8 speed freehubs?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-21, 01:44 PM
browndude3649

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Where do you guys get ur cogs for a roadie singlespeed set up?
Old 08-03-21, 03:18 PM
browndude3649

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
FSA 53/39 tooth. What's the biggest rear recommended sprock if I used the 53T ?
Old 08-03-21, 04:27 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by browndude3649
FSA 53/39 tooth. What's the biggest rear recommended sprock if I used the 53T ?

How big of a gear do you want to push? A 53 X 20 will get you 70 gear inches, but I have no idea if that'll work for your terrain. Personally, I'd use the 39T and fine tune it with a 14, 15, 16, or even 17T cog, depending on how hilly your routes are. Plus, you'll get better chainring clearance, if that matters to you.
Old 08-03-21, 06:30 PM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
Just put this on a road bike and it works fine. The included spacers were needed for a new conversion.
CyclingDeal Conversion Kit Fixie Bike Single Speed Compatible with Shimano Sram Cassette Freewheel Hub Adaptor - for Mountain and Road Bike Gear Cog Spacers 16 Teeth

BTW, I paired it with a 42.
Old 08-04-21, 11:00 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Where do you guys get ur cogs for a roadie singlespeed set up?
I just take apart a couple of cassettes for the spacers and the cogs. Then I just use whichever cog that coupled with the chairing I have to get the gear I want. A lot of times a bicycle shop will give me a couple of worn out cassettes for the spacers in them.

Oh, if it's a Uniglide cassette body, I've found that many times a bottom bracket lockring can be use to hold the spacers and cog in place. To me it looks a lot neater than a small screw on cog does on a single speed.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 08-05-21, 03:05 AM
browndude3649

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Anybody like the(25$) bombshell alum. Cog? Profile has diff cogs also.
Old 08-05-21, 03:07 AM
browndude3649

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I just take apart a couple of cassettes for the spacers and the cogs. Then I just use whichever cog that coupled with the chairing I have to get the gear I want. A lot of times a bicycle shop will give me a couple of worn out cassettes for the spacers in them.

Oh, if it's a Uniglide cassette body, I've found that many times a bottom bracket lockring can be use to hold the spacers and cog in place. To me it looks a lot neater than a small screw on cog does on a single speed.

Cheers
I have a HG cassette I just never split the six cog block from each other. I'd like to use the big chainring up front with a big cog off the cassette but.....
Old 08-05-21, 07:18 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I have a HG cassette I just never split the six cog block from each other. I'd like to use the big chainring up front with a big cog off the cassette but.....
Take a close look at the freehub body. Some early Hyperglide ones were transitional ones and could be use with either Hyperglide or Uniglide cassettes. Those freehub bodies had threading on the outside for a small Uniglide cog as well as t he internal threading for the Hyperglide lock ring.

Cheers.
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 08-05-21, 09:37 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
There are any number of cogs that would work, from 5-speed Uniglide, to 11-speed Hyperglide. It just needs to fit the splines on your freehub. The nicer cassettes had/have little bolts holding them together that you can undo with a 4mm wrench or pair of pliers. Cheaper cassettes will need a Dremel to grind out the rivet heads.

If you have horizontal dropouts, you could probably even use a worn cog that was starting to skip when you were running it with a derailleur.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 08-08-21, 08:03 PM
browndude3649

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Took a ride to San rafael's bike kitchen (trips for kids). Found an old shimano cassette with the rivets drilled out and spacers included, acoupla no name cogs. Experiment time!
Likes For browndude3649:
Old 08-08-21, 08:50 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I use the cheap Dimension splined SS cogs. I got mine over the years from a LBS for $6 each. Plain steel SS cogs for Shimano free hub. I’ve run mostly 42/16 or 42/17 on my 26er. They make them in a lot of sizes. I can’t speak to current availability through part suppliers.

Otto
Likes For ofajen: