Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Simple Pleasures

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-21, 07:50 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Simple Pleasures

I have two bikes, my geared "modern" gravel rig which is my serious ride/workout rig, and my ss Cross Check--my "fun" bike, which I love for everything else. Where I live is not terribly conducive to using a bike for errands, shopping, etc---the drivers are just too insane, and there's nowhere to lock up even a beater if you want to have it there when you're ready to ride home. But sometimes....I deliberately take the ss, and ride down to the closest cafe or liquor store where I might not get pureed by an SUV, and buy a coffee or, grab a pint can IPA and put it in my burrito bag for when I get home. Man, I'm really envious of folks who live where they can hop on their ss or fixie and just go do that biz (safely) on the reg . . .

Last edited by pbass; 08-24-21 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-24-21, 11:52 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
+1.

Maybe the only place to leave a bike safe for a couple minutes is the wine/horse country of Temecula?
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-25-21, 08:13 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
+1.

Maybe the only place to leave a bike safe for a couple minutes is the wine/horse country of Temecula?
Yep, here, the best bet is to bring your bike into the store or restaurant, which not every shop owner is fond of!
Likes For pbass:
Old 08-26-21, 02:03 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I couldn’t imagine living someplace where I couldn’t use my bike for everyday errands and just kicking around. You have my sympathies!
Likes For Rolla:
Old 08-26-21, 05:30 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
I have a geared Surly bike and a fixed gear Surly bike. I live where everything is accessible by bike and I love all aspects of that. In fact, it's one of the primary reasons for moving here. The majority of my riding is done on the fixed gear bike. The other bike is used for hilly and long rides (will be doing a century to Jamestown and back soon when it's not 100 deg. out). However, since I never learn to be happy with what I've got, I would much prefer to move way up north to avoid the summer heat. In doing so will probably compromise my exclusive bike mode of transportation.
Likes For takenreasy:
Old 08-26-21, 06:12 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
+1.

Many folks who lives by the beach often use their bikes to get around instead of their cars. I used to live in Belmont Shore, LB and it was easier to get around with a bike than car bc of limited parking. If you go to Seal Beach, many surfers will leave their beach cruisers unlock by the beach parking lot and they will sit their for hours
Old 08-26-21, 06:27 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
my definition of CAR(e) free is any day that i put more miles on my bike than my car ... so just accept the risk and get out there, you got the right to a lane, just be EXTREMELY cautious how you exercise that right