Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

DIY conversion to SS/Fix and your skill level

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 08-27-21, 07:49 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts

Wanting a SS/Fixie bike and have been looking

anyone do their own conversion and if so, what's your bike mechanic skill level on a scale of 1-10. Essential tools for the job?

I would rate my skill level as 3-5, but mainly just change the tires/tubes and do minor adjustments. Thanks for any comments!
Old 08-27-21, 09:33 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Most conversions are pretty simple, but achieving proper chainline is where problems often present themselves. It’s partly about mechanical skill, but also a matter of your measurement and calculation abilities. Do some careful reading before you reach for a wrench.
Old 08-27-21, 09:43 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Did my first conversion way back in seventh or eighth grade.
Think it was a Taiwanese 80s boom bike my uncle gave me. He helped me strip and paint it but I did the rest myself with the guidance of some books on the subject. He also supplied the parts and tools.
My skill level was probably no greater’n what you describe yours as now.
Took a lot of time and work and it didn’t come out that great but it started the ball rolling.
Old 08-27-21, 10:20 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 694 Posts
You've read St. Sheldon, right? If not, start here and get a good background before you do anything more.
Old 08-27-21, 10:42 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
You've read St. Sheldon, right? If not, start here and get a good background before you do anything more.
I have but will go back and re-read. What a great mind
Old 08-27-21, 12:26 PM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
I can’t (never attempted to) build frames, but I can do practically everything else, including lacing spokes, and modifying Brooks saddles…
Old 08-27-21, 12:32 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Chain line.... Oh... Did I say CHAIN LINE???
Old 08-27-21, 12:55 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
Wanting a SS/Fixie bike and have been looking

anyone do their own conversion and if so, what's your bike mechanic skill level on a scale of 1-10. Essential tools for the job?

I would rate my skill level as 3-5, but mainly just change the tires/tubes and do minor adjustments. Thanks for any comments!
If you are doing SS on a freehub, chainline is really easy: just measure at the chainring and adjust all the spacers to put the cog in the right place.

If you are doing a freewheel, you will probably have to pick the better chainring option and then adjust the rear alignment by swapping spacers on the rear axle, after which you will need to redish (presumably undish) the rear wheel a bit for proper alignment with the frame. Fixed gear will be about the same type of project.

Otto
Old 08-27-21, 04:41 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
^ This is the best possible answer. Practically everything you need to know is in Sheldon's writings. When you get down to some specific details, you can post additional questions. Always start with Sheldon.

When I built my first FG, I was a skilled mechanic but pretty inexperienced with bike stuff. Took a little trial and error to get everything just so, but not very difficult.

If you like tinkering with mechanical things, have a few tools and are willing to buy a few more, and are not in a hurry to get riding on your FG or SS conversion, you should go for it. If you really just want the bike right away and don't like to fuss with things, you'll be better off buying one complete.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-27-21, 08:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
Depending on the task I am generally 5-7 but some stuff I am better and some I am much worse. Certain odd stuff I am like an 11. I soak up a lot of knowledge and sometimes it translates to really handy stuff that other mechanics don't pick up on.

Sheldon does a good job as does looking at Park Tool videos. But having good tools is going to help a lot and some basic knowledge will also help. However I wouldn't go butchering a nice frame to convert it to fixed you may want to convert it back to a nice road bike.

I haven't done a fixed gear conversion yet though but did build up my last fixed gear but it was not converted it was designed as a fixed gear and have also built a few other bikes not fixed.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-28-21, 09:44 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Off OP subject:
Originally Posted by Broctoon
^ This is the best possible answer. Practically everything you need to know is in Sheldon's writings. When you get down to some specific details, you can post additional questions. Always start with Sheldon...
So true... I remember my "Sutherland's Handbook for bicycle mechanics". I got that book when returning from my first overseas tour in 78. Man what a game changer. As a guy who could not afford bike shop fees it saved me. Then years ago when ordering something off of Harris Cyclery I found Sheldon's Archive. I am still to this day, impressed!

I have only built one Fixy from a ChroMo FUJI. Took me just a few hours to strip it down. I kept the front brake. But it took me about two weeks to get the chain line set right. Ha... I shuold'a started with Sheldon...

Last edited by zandoval; 08-28-21 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-28-21, 09:57 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 694 Posts
I would also add - do NOT cut or file or otherwise remove any brazed-on frame fittings, hangers, etc., from a frame being converted to fixed-gear. If you are fortunate, you will be able to score something early enough from the era of minimal braze-ons. My current conversions include a '73 Raleigh Competition, which has a pip to keep clamp on shifters from sliding and cable housing stops for the rear brake on the top tube and a chain stay cable stop for the rear derailleur. My other conversion is a '71 Gitane TdF, which has a pip on the downtube and nothing else.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 08-28-21, 10:05 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Do what you can with the skills and tools available, including reference materials like Sheldon Brown and Park Tool. If you run into something beyond your skill level or requiring tools you do not have or cannot afford, you can always outsource those tasks to a bike shop or co-op.
Old 08-28-21, 10:47 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
If you have a regular bike with horizontal dropouts, the simplest possible conversion is just to remove the rear derailleur and cut the chain shorter so it wraps around the small chainring and one of the cogs in the middle of the freewheel. All you need for that is a chain-breaker!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-28-21 at 03:39 PM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 08-30-21, 09:00 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Good comments provided already. I will echo "chain line", which may be the most technical aspect of the entire process. Otherwise, to answer the original question, about the difficulty rating. Where 2 = building a new box shipped bike; 5 = specifying, accumulating and assembling all parts of a modern geared bike; 7 = lacing, tensioning and truing a dished wheel; and 9 = modifying/repairing a high-end steel frame, I'd say that converting a suitable existing bike to fixed from geared would rate at a 3-4, depending on the bottom bracket/crankset re-use or not.