Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

How to prevent front tire washout?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 08-28-21, 10:29 AM
JohnnyMordoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Folks,

This may be a silly question - giving it a try anyway.

I was on a nice leisurely bike ride a couple weeks back - following the bike lane up in Lakeport CA, along Lakeshore Blvd.

Next thing you know, I am laying on my back looking at the sky and wondering what the heck happened?

As I replay the video on my head.... I was in a bit of a narrow section of the bike path, along the road and following the white line.

In slow motion, I saw my front tire just catch some part of the thermal painted white line and just take me right down. (it was raised up a bit)

Fortunately, I was not seriously injured - looks like my handle bars kind of broke the fall, but did put my right arm out to break my fall and jammed my shoulder into the asphalt.... thank goodness no broken bones.

I run my tires at about 100 lbs. front/rear.

Anybody have similar issues of front tire washout??

Was it my tire pressure or just a bad spot in the road - than goodness no traffic coming at the time!

I have been riding bikes and motorcycles/dirt bikes for some time - this was a first on a bike.

Maybe do not follow so close to the white thermal striping in the bike lane?

Just sharing my experience and wondering if others have had same thing happen.

Stay safe everyone!
Old 08-28-21, 11:07 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Those painted lines can be super slick with just a hint of moisture (morning dew, etc.), so if it's moist out try to take those painted areas straight ahead straight upright. And 100psi tire pressure seems high unless the tires are 25mm or narrower.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 08-28-21, 11:17 AM
look566 rider

Bikes: Waterford R33, 2019 Infinito, Gunnar Roadie, 1999 Colnago Tecnos, '04 Cannondale Optimo 800 & '51 Rudge Sports, Colnago Tecnos, Tom Kellogg Merlin..

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 41 Posts
Slippery when wet.... Bon Jovi?

Seriously, can be slippery when very hot and sun is shining on them as well. Even though they are white. I have felt them move under my wheels.
Old 08-28-21, 01:49 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
Painted lines aren't good for riding on. And 100 psi?! That's a lot of pressure. Didn't even run that high on my 700 x 25 road bike tires. And front tire is usually run with less pressure than the back.
Old 08-28-21, 03:11 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Don’t ride on painted lines.

They also have tiny reflective dust particles put on them that are extra slippery.
Old 08-28-21, 04:39 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
It’s not just painted lines. Leaves, wet or dry mud, dew, sand, oil spill… there’s not much that’s not going to reduce traction.

I look ahead for these conditions and slow down so I can roll over them in a straight line without braking.
Old 08-29-21, 08:42 AM
JohnnyMordoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the response - will work on trying to figure out the front tire pressure.

Yeah... it was a combo or the painted line and the part of where they repaved the road.... was trying to stay out of that gravely stuff we all know about and have experienced.

This experience has defiantly been added to the "note to self" section of the my bike riding experiences....

Stay safe everyone!
Old 08-29-21, 02:18 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyMordoc
Thanks everyone for the response - will work on trying to figure out the front tire pressure.

Yeah... it was a combo or the painted line and the part of where they repaved the road.... was trying to stay out of that gravely stuff we all know about and have experienced.

This experience has defiantly been added to the "note to self" section of the my bike riding experiences....

Stay safe everyone!
What bike is it? What tires and how wide? Maybe we can help.

And yeah, riding on paint is bad. Glad you weren’t badly hurt.
Old 08-31-21, 01:40 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
As I replay the video on my head.... I was in a bit of a narrow section of the bike path, along the road and following the white line.

In slow motion, I saw my front tire just catch some part of the thermal painted white line and just take me right down. (it was raised up a bit)
You've just described an "Edge Trap" - They'll throw you to the ground in the blink of an eye. Functionally it "traps" your wheel preventing tracking to one side while the rest of your momentum keeps going in that direction. Bam, you're on the ground.I wouldn't think one of those lines would have enough of an edge to do what happened, but if they'd added layers perhaps it did.

See this article/video showing examples in motorcycling: https://www.rideapart.com/features/3...ap-motorcycle/

The way to mitigate edge traps is to cross them at a substantial angle so your tire goes up and over the edge instead of being forced to follow the edge.

(the other posts about painted stripes being slippery are also correct, through if your front wheel slips a couple inches and regains traction you'd often be able to recover even if you left a pucker mark on your seat)
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 09-05-21, 09:10 AM
JohnnyMordoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been riding for a years and first it happened on my bike - then again - listening to music, taking in the scenery and trying to watch the road...... that split second loss of concentration did me in. It was like slow motion and next thing you know I am on the ground and wondering WTF?
Thanks again everyone for the feedback!

Stay safe!
Old 09-05-21, 02:38 PM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
My sin for hitting an edge trap just today was because I was looking at the computer for speed and cadence to match the heart rate. Almost spilled but managed to grab it back in time. Stupid! However, I don't use headphones when riding, unless it's a bike lane only trip, and those are rare. I want to be able to hear cars coming up behind me. With e-cars everywhere, it's very easy for them to be suddenly right next to you and doing something stupid, just because I didn't look at the mirror!
Been riding for a years and first it happened on my bike - then again - listening to music, taking in the scenery and trying to watch the road...... that split second loss of concentration did me in. It was like slow motion and next thing you know I am on the ground and wondering WTF?
Thanks again everyone for the feedback!

Stay safe!
Old 09-07-21, 01:15 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
100 psi?!! Cripes!!!

What bike is this?