Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Metrix 40 upgrades

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Metrix 40 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-21, 04:36 PM
pumpkinhed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Metrix 40 upgrades

Hi All,

I have a Scott Metrix 40 (specs below) that I'd like to do a crank conversion on and I'm seeking input on compatibility, product suggestions, or any info if you've done this conversion. It's a 3x8 and I'm looking to convert it to a 1x or 2x. I'm doing this because I'm not happy with the way the bike shifts and I'd like to upgrade to a more solid shifter as well as simplify (less sprockets). My ultimate goal is a solid stable shifter. And yes, I've had the gears adjusted professionally already a few times. I can't go through all the gears smoothly, there's always spots that are rough or skip.

If anyone has an idea of component systems that would work with this bike, and that you've had good experience with I'd really appreciate it. If it matters most of my riding is street/urban, paved trails. I've ridden around using just the 38 or the 48 and both are good for most of the riding I do, 28 does not get much use. Budget-wise I'm willing to spend $ but don't need top of the line, just need good quality. I don't race or compete, but like to ride for enjoyment. Poor shifting is not too enjoyable.

Thanks in advance!

The current specs are:

Bottom bracket Shimano BB-UN 26
Brake levers Shimano ST-EF 51A
Brakes Tektro RX1, forged mini V-brake, linear pull
Cassette Shimano CS-HG31 8 speed, 11-32T
Chain KMC Z-7
Crankset Shimano FC-M171 48x38x28
Hub rear Shimano FH-RM 30
Rear derailleur Shimano Acera RD-M 360, 8 Speed

Courtesy of bikeroar.com/products/scott/metrix-40-solution-2014/specs