Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Need help with a drop bar conversion

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-21, 07:08 AM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts

Hello,
I have a 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk that I would like to convert to drop bars. I’m mostly needing information on what brifters (if any) will work with my hydraulic disk brakes and 3x8 gear train. I am wanting to only replace the bars at this point in time, and not get into changing brakes, gear sets/cranks, or anything else. Also I’m trying to stay away from the cable actuated hydraulic setups.

Like I mentioned I would prefer a brifter for my application, but if there is another shifter I should look into by all means point me in the right direction. I have seen the “bar end” shifters and I’m not a huge fan. And while I’m not a fan of bar end shifters I realize I might need to go this route.

So far my Verve is 100% stock with only Bontrager accessories bolted on. I do plan on changing out the stock suspension seat post with a PNW Costal Dropper Suspension Seat Post some time in the near future.

Stock Tektro HD-M275 hydraulic disc brakes
Front Derailleur- Shimano Tourney TY710
Rear Derailleur- Shimano Altus M310
Crank-Forged alloy, 48/38/28, chainguard, 170mm length
Casette-Shimano HG31, 11-32, 8 speed

I’m looking at the Bontrager GR Elite Road Handlebar in either 420mm or 440m, or something similar to those specs. I will also be keeping the original stem quill for right now, unless there is a stem quill adapter that I can use to change out my stem with.
Likes For M Rose:
Old 09-09-21, 07:26 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Hydraulic brifting (shraking?) begins at Tiagra 10sp, RS405 for "old" 10sp, and 4700 for "new" 10 sp.

8sp Claris shifters are good if you wanna go cable brakes.
Old 09-09-21, 07:40 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Check out this post just as an idea:

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...ting-idea.html
Old 09-09-21, 08:17 AM
M Rose

Originally Posted by travbikeman
Check out this post just as an idea:

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...ting-idea.html
I’ve seen those, they don’t offer enough drop.
Old 09-09-21, 08:25 AM
M Rose

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Hydraulic brifting (shraking?) begins at Tiagra 10sp, RS405 for "old" 10sp, and 4700 for "new" 10 sp.

8sp Claris shifters are good if you wanna go cable brakes.
I can’t find a listing for the Tiagra 3x shifter… all I find is 2x, I use all three chain rings on the front, and all of the cassettes on the back… so ditching the front chain ring and replacing with a 2x isn’t going to happen, swapping to a 10 or 11 speed cassette ain’t happenin either.
Old 09-09-21, 08:38 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Originally Posted by M Rose
I can’t find a listing for the Tiagra 3x shifter… all I find is 2x, I use all three chain rings on the front, and all of the cassettes on the back… so ditching the front chain ring and replacing with a 2x isn’t going to happen, swapping to a 10 or 11 speed cassette ain’t happenin either.
There are no triple hydraulic STI shifters.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 09-09-21, 08:56 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Then what DorkDisc said, 3x8 Claris shifters and some good cable actuated brakes like Juin Tech R1.
Old 09-09-21, 11:41 AM
M Rose

There are no triple hydraulic STI shifters.
how about just hydraulic brake levers and go with bar end shifters… or will they not be compatible with the derailleur/cassette and chain ring combinations? The only problem I have with Bar End shifters is I’m afraid I would bump them with my knees while I’m sprinting up hills.

To keep my hydraulic disk brakes and go with drop bars what is my best solution? Like I said in my OP, I use my whole spread of gearing, and I do a lot of very steep decents 104’ decent in 300’ of distance. So loosing my breaking power coming down this trail would be very bad. I max at at 50 mph on this decent.

Mow going up the same trail, I have to use my 28-32 low gearing to struggle to the top with just my body weight, add in Paniers and trunk pack with my EDC gear, I have a heck of a time and might want to drop gearing even lower…

I find myself mostly in the middle chain ring and the middle to lower part of the rear cassette. So going to a 2x9 might be beneficial to me or even more spread with a 2x10 or 2x11, I don’t know, because I haven’t ever messed with changing stock gearing, and this gets expensive. I do know that the large chain ring gets very little use compared to the middle on small chain ring.
Old 09-09-21, 04:56 PM
csport

how about just hydraulic brake levers and go with bar end shifters… or will they not be compatible with the derailleur/cassette and chain ring combinations? The only problem I have with Bar End shifters is I’m afraid I would bump them with my knees while I’m sprinting up hills.

To keep my hydraulic disk brakes and go with drop bars what is my best solution?
Only you can define what is best for you

As you said, it should be possible to upgrade to 10 or 11 speed, but you will loose the triple and you will need to upgrade all the drivetrain.

There are bar end shifters for 3x8. Not sure if Shimano still makes them (Ultegra BS64), but there is Microshift: https://www.microshift.com/models/bs-t08/
There are also TRP Hylex brakes/levers: https://trpcycling.com/product/hylex-rs/ Not sure how good they are.

I run 3x9 (48/36/22, 11-30 cassette) with Shimano shifters and Juin Tech R1 brakes. They are cable actuated hydraulic brakes. They are also available as Yokozuna Motoko.
Old 09-09-21, 09:19 PM
DorkDisk

To keep my hydraulic disk brakes and go with drop bars what is my best solution?
Just to clarify, you most probably would have to swap the calipers out as well. Drop bar conversions are not handlebar swaps.

And then it seems like you have post mount, which no road bike caliper comes in anymore. So, with Shimano you would need a 10sp brifter and then connect them to MTB calipers.
Old 09-09-21, 10:10 PM
M Rose

Thanks guys for the help. The Verve is up for sale because I can’t make it fit my needs. I guess I’m back to riding gas..

edit:
wife says I can’t go back to gas…she also says that the bike has to be made to work for me without compromise.

So what does this mean? If I have to adapt hoses and or fittings to make my hydraulic brakes work with the current calipers, then that’s what I have to do.

It looks like I have to compromise with bar end shifters to make this all work. Not ideal, but I guess I can live with it for a few years… I can’t live with the flat bar for another month.

I have already added Egro Grips, and upside down bar ends to try and help, but it’s just not working for me. Which this is very strange to me because I alway rode a rigid MTN bike back in the 80’s through early 2000 without issue. But this is before my back injury, multiple shoulder injuries, and chronic knee pain. Which is the whole reason I am trying to get back into cycling in the first place

Last edited by M Rose; 09-09-21 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-10-21, 12:43 AM
csport

OK, I have just recalled having heard about a stem mount conversion kit made by Giant: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/showcase/conduct
Maybe this will work for you with Clais 3x8?
I have no hands on experience with it myself.

Last edited by csport; 09-10-21 at 01:20 AM.
Likes For csport:
Old 09-10-21, 02:27 AM
M Rose

Originally Posted by csport
OK, I have just recalled having heard about a stem mount conversion kit made by Giant: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/showcase/conduct
Maybe this will work for you with Clais 3x8?
I have no hands on experience with it myself.
that looks like it would work… unfortunately they are sold out at the moment… but it gives me a place to start looking
Old 09-10-21, 06:12 AM
DorkDisk

The calipers have to be compatible with the levers, since you have Tektro you need Tektro drop bar hydraulic levers-which do not exist. Maybe the TRP Hylex one works?

The Giant system (which comes with its own calipers) has been superceded by cable actuated calipers (which this one is also, but with shorter cable runs) and hydraulic STI levers. If the Giant system intrigued you, just get Claris 3x8 and TRP HY/RD brakes; it's essentially the same thing but with longer cable runs.

But, doing a drop bar conversion on a Verve is not something I would do. I'd rather sell it and buy something else. You are very vague about your issues and there is no guarantee that a drop bar conversion will solve anything.

Last edited by DorkDisk; 09-10-21 at 06:18 AM. Reason: TEKTRO MODELS
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 09-10-21, 12:56 PM
M Rose

But, doing a drop bar conversion on a Verve is not something I would do. I'd rather sell it and buy something else. You are very vague about your issues and there is no guarantee that a drop bar conversion will solve anything.
The Verve’s stem quill while adjustable doesn’t adjust to where the height and the reach are correct, if I get the reach correct, the bars are 2” too tall, if I put the adjustment to where the bars are the correct height I can’t reach the bars anymore. Drop bars will allow me to get to that sweet spot…

I don’t have the budget to buy another bike, even if I sold the Verve.

i just thought of another option. My old Cafe Racer had 7/8” clubman bars that offered 4” drop, 6.5” sweep, and overall length of 28”. This would achieve exactly what I’m trying to do while allowing me to retain all my factory brakes, gears, shifters, and levers… I’m off to the MC store to purchase a 48” flat bar to through into my bender…

thank you guys for helping me to get my mind to think out of the box.
Old 09-10-21, 07:39 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Yes -- it sounds like you might be able to benefit from either a different bar (with a different shape and sweep) or a different length stem. That should be a much less costly endeavor than a conversion to drop bars, which use a whole different "ecosystem" of parts.
Old 09-10-21, 08:47 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts
You’ll probably need a much shorter stem to make drop bars work also. You’ll have an extra 75-100cm reach to the hoods or in the drops if you keep the same stem.
Old 09-13-21, 06:44 PM
M Rose

Well thank you all for your help. I just spent $2000 converting the Verve to drop bars. Shimano 105 components, 2x11 gear train, new crank, new wheels, new tires, new seat post, new seat, new pedals, new chain, new frame…

I’ll update when the new bike gets here.
Likes For M Rose: