Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New road bike - coming from my Tri bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-13-21, 11:44 AM
ckb_nc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a Fezzari tri bike used on Ebay over 7 years ago. Been using it, having upgraded the wheels modestly and having a complete bike rebuild in 2017. But same groupset, same frame the entire time. I did replace the TT bars along the way too. Love the bike, took it to Us triathlon national where it was seriously look liked a KMart special but I have passed plenty of guys in triathlons and time trial with bikes costing at least 3x mine.

Decided to pick up a road bike - again went with Fezzari. Went with the Empire Rival AXS. Got it last week. It is gorgeous and the electronic shifting is a dream. My old bike well lets just say my 105 set has seen lots of miles.

coming from my TT bike, two things stand out.

1) I thought I might be faster but no. First they shipped with 28s not 25s or 23s. Nothing terrible but there is some resistance to be gained
2) I am so used to getting into my drops, riding more upright has been an all new learning experience.

Love any comments/ideas - love the new ride BTW. Lots to learn
Old 09-13-21, 12:25 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
You can always get aerobars and pretend you're back on a TT bike. I like mine, primarily for relieving pressure on my hands, though the aerodynamics are nice.
Old 09-13-21, 12:34 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
Maybe start doing some fast paced group rides. It develops your handling skills, teaches you to pay attention, makes you react to other rides when they accelerate on a hill, etc..... which makes you faster. Lots of clubs have multiple levels so you can start easier and hang back till you get the hang of it.
Old 09-13-21, 12:41 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
The tires aren't slowing you down with their ridiculously marginally larger frontal area, and are probably faster on anything but a board track. The riding position is easily modifiable.

Or, you can maybe swap over the new group set to the old frame .....
Old 09-13-21, 01:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Tri bike is your best bet if you want to put out your best performance on a short ride. Short being less than about 1½ hours, but there is a lot of leeway in what short is.

Road bike you will be able to comfortably do long rides. However you might feel like you never quite can do as good a performance on a road bike in a short ride than you could on the tri bike.

And unless you were on a crappy brand and model of 28 mm tires, then I doubt they hurt your performance notably.