Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 6503 -> R3030 conversion BB

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-14-21, 09:22 AM
keraba2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I'm still trying to restore an old Trek 5200. I'm trying to preserve the triple FD by switching from old Ultegra to new Sora. You can read about my earlier woes here:

(this site) bicycle-mechanics/1226026-compatible-shifter-fd-ultegra-6503-another-flatbar-conversion.html
(They won't let me post URLs, even to this site.)

The little bit of epoxy that I used to make a 6503 derailleur look like a 3503 isn't quite working. I believe it could work, but would take me a lot of fiddling to make work, and the next owner wouldn't appreciate the hacky solution.

So I decided to punt, and just get all compatible components. I already had the SL-R3030 shifter. I now have a FD-3030 (braze-on) on the bike. It still has the 6503 Ultegra "chainwheel". It's works ok, except that it won't shift to the big ring.

It appears that the shifter just doesn't have the reach. I know that the derailleur only claims to support a 20 teeth difference, but the issue actually seems to be the back 9 speeds. If I set the derailleur to not rub when everything is in the lowest gear, then it can't reach the big ring. It sort of stops between middle and big.

I've made sure that it's not the stops stopping it. When I pull on the cable, the derailleur itself can reach.

I have a replacement FC-R3030 chainwheel, but this is going to require a new BB, right? It has an octalink, and the FC-R3030 has its own axel, yes?

So basically, before I buy even more incompatible components, I was looking for some assurance that, yes, the derailleur won't work with the 6503, but *will* work with the FC-R3030, and that I haven't simply adjusted something incorrectly.

thanks all!
Old 09-14-21, 10:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Don't "love" your bike. That's just sick.
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...onversion.html

Why don't you just put a entirely new Sora, Tiagra or 105 groupset on it. The DR's themselves of each group are generally the least expensive component. It's the STI's that cost the big bucks usually.

If you like your bike, then it'd appreciate some new jewelry. But then again, maybe you need a new bike to start dating.