Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek 7500 VS. Motobecane Cafe' Century

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 04-07-11, 04:31 PM
up4speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys and gals,
This is my first post here. I was looking to buy a new bike, and would love to listen to some of the advice that more experienced riders have. I have been riding a bike for many years. My last bike was a Raleigh M-80 mountain bike. I am now 42 years young (lol) and would like an easier riding bike. I am looking for a hybrid that is comfortable, but also easy rolling and fast! I know that is going to be tough!.
Anyway, I was all set to buy the Trek 7500, when I saw the Motobecane Cafe' Century at Bikesdirect.com. This bike seems to have great components for the money, and an all carbon fiber frame. It seems too good to be true. Am I missing something? I do understand that I will have to build it, and that there is no dealer near me, so there will be no dealer support. Is that the only negative? From the limited knowlege that I have, it seems that the motobecane has better components, lighter, faster while retaining the upright riding position. I've been trying to find reviews on the Motobecane's and I am having trouble finding real info. There are some people that bad mouth them, but have no experience with them. It seems that people who do actually own them feel like they got a great deal. If anyone here has opinions, or even better, owns either of these bikes, I would love to hear about it. I am looking to make a purchase in the next week or two. I am hoping you guys can impart some knowlege that can help me make an educated decision. By the way, I'm ok spending up to about 1k, so if there are any other recommendations, I'm all ears! Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 04-07-11, 04:37 PM
Capecodder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Trek period.......................

Here is my Trek (Kaitai) Dual Purpose bike, and I absolutly love it. I was going to go with a Trek FX series but the seating position was just not right for me. Then a friend of mine at the bike shop told me to take the Kaitai for a ride, and it was love at first stroke (of the pedal). It is very fast and smooth on the road, and handles the dirt roads with ease. I really didn't think I'd like this type of bike, and infact I would have never even road it if it were not for my friend. I'm 50 years old by the way, and find it very comfortable and just a joy to ride.

Last edited by Capecodder; 04-07-11 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-07-11, 06:00 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Duct tape over the Motobecane logos if you go that way.
Old 04-07-11, 06:15 PM
up4speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Duct tape over the Motobecane logos if you go that way.
LOL, too funny!

I am not one of those people who care about brand names, I just want a quality product. Is there anything about theMotobecane that is poor quality? I would like to hear about it if there is, I don't want a bike that looks expensive, but is actually junk. For example, a toys r us bike for $100 with a disk brake. Obviously junk! Here is a link to the Motobecane along with it's specs. Like I said in the first post, I have limited knowledge of bikes, but to me, the components look pretty nice.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...century_xi.htm
Old 04-07-11, 06:22 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Someone you know might see you on it. There is no connection between that bike and the storied French brand.
Old 04-07-11, 07:15 PM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you like the moto then you should get it. the price is right, full carbon, im not a big fan of tektro or the adjustable stem, but it looks nice.
Old 04-07-11, 08:15 PM
up4speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by catonec
If you like the moto then you should get it. the price is right, full carbon, im not a big fan of tektro or the adjustable stem, but it looks nice.
Is the adjustable stem bad quality, or is it that you don't like adjustable stems? I like the idea of the adjustability so I can achieve a comfortable fit. I know it cant be as stiff as a fixed unit, but I like the benefit. If that is the only issue or wekest link, I can always swap it with a fixed stem, after I figure out what angle works best for me.
Old 04-07-11, 11:08 PM
up4speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, after going nuts with research, I've decided to not get the Motobecane. I am afraid of the carbon fiber frame. I know there are a lot of benefits to the carbon, but the disadvantages seem too big for someone that is just using it for recreational use. It also only has a one year warranty. I also decided not to get the Trek 7500. I now decided that for the same price as the Trek 7500, I can get the Trek 7.5 that has better components, and faster, but slightly less comfortable. I am prepared to replace the saddle and neck, if necessary, in order to improve comfort. What do you guys think of my decision?
Thanks again,
Chris
Old 04-08-11, 12:16 AM
LongIslandTom
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by up4speed
What do you guys think of my decision?
I think you don't really know what you want.

Front-suspension hybrids and flat-bar road bikes have quite different ride qualities. You really should narrow down what category bike you want first.

I would suggest you go and test-ride those several different types of bikes at your local bike shop-- A front-suspension hybrid (like the Trek 7500), a flat-bar road bike (like the 7.5 FX), and even a full-on road bike with drop bars (say a Trek 1.1), and different brands of those categories (Specialized, Giant, etc).

Once you can appreciate the different riding "feel" of each type of bike, then maybe you can get a rough idea of what you really want. After that it's just a matter of finding a bike in that particular category that has the components, geometry and fit that you like, within your budget.
Old 04-08-11, 12:36 AM
up4speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LongIslandTom,
You are absolutely correct in the fact that I don't know what I want....well almost correct. They just don't make what I want, and/or my goal is not achievable with the riding position I am looking for. I want a fast and light bike, that feels somewhat upright and a very comfortable ride. I did test ride the 7500 and an FX (I think it was the 7.3) already. My problem was that I liked the lightness and speed of the FX, but the comfort of the 7500. After beating myself up with research, I settled on the FX for it's speed and better components, while planning to raise the handle bars and change the saddle for comfort. I really thought I finally figured it out!! If not, please let me know what the problem with my plan is. By the way, I'm on Long Island also (Lake Grove). Does my plan seem reasonable?
Old 04-08-11, 01:41 AM
LongIslandTom
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't mean "comfort" as in riding posture, which is largely adjustable on any bike by swapping out a stem/handlebar or moving the seat or such.

By riding "feel", I mean a suspensionless flat-bar road bike with lighter, skinnier wheels and tires is never going to give you the kind of "plush / cushy" ride a front-suspension hybrid with relatively wide tires can. Conversely, a plush / cushy front-suspension hybrid is never going to let you scoot up the many hills on the northern side of Long Island as easily as a stiff-riding flat bar road-bike can.

Basically, let the kind of riding you do dictate what kind of bike you buy.
Old 04-08-11, 11:38 AM
up4speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got it Tom, thanks for the info. I think the FX with the mods would be the right choice as of now. I think I'll head back over to Campus Cycle (where I tried the bikes), and purchase it. Now..... Black or silver hmmmm
Old 04-10-11, 01:45 AM
up4speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered the Fx 7.5 in mettalic black today. Thanks for all the advice and help. It will be ready to pick up on Thurs. I'll start another post with pics, once I get it.
Old 04-10-11, 05:58 PM
tiger16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool

I just ordered the Fx 7.5 in mettalic black today. Thanks for all the advice and help. It will be ready to pick up on Thurs. I'll start another post with pics, once I get it.
I have the 7.5 fx black metallic as well. Love the bike you will be happy. Consider the Node 1 or 2 computer with the speed trap. I just had that installed at my bike shop and highly recommend.... Enjoy
Old 08-15-21, 11:02 PM
Epoblooddope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys and gals,
This is my first post here. I was looking to buy a new bike, and would love to listen to some of the advice that more experienced riders have. I have been riding a bike for many years. My last bike was a Raleigh M-80 mountain bike. I am now 42 years young (lol) and would like an easier riding bike. I am looking for a hybrid that is comfortable, but also easy rolling and fast! I know that is going to be tough!.
Anyway, I was all set to buy the Trek 7500, when I saw the Motobecane Cafe' Century at Bikesdirect.com. This bike seems to have great components for the money, and an all carbon fiber frame. It seems too good to be true. Am I missing something? I do understand that I will have to build it, and that there is no dealer near me, so there will be no dealer support. Is that the only negative? From the limited knowlege that I have, it seems that the motobecane has better components, lighter, faster while retaining the upright riding position. I've been trying to find reviews on the Motobecane's and I am having trouble finding real info. There are some people that bad mouth them, but have no experience with them. It seems that people who do actually own them feel like they got a great deal. If anyone here has opinions, or even better, owns either of these bikes, I would love to hear about it. I am looking to make a purchase in the next week or two. I am hoping you guys can impart some knowlege that can help me make an educated decision. By the way, I'm ok spending up to about 1k, so if there are any other recommendations, I'm all ears! Thanks in advance,
Chris
you can’t buy a new 20lb all carbon bike anywhere under $3000. If you want to ride fast uphill and flats in general but want to stop at gym and stores without fearing losing thousands to some scumbag thief then that’s the bike for you. If you don’t care about recreational racing with bargain price bike or being optimal body fat and not having anyone pass you at average 25-30 mph flats then just buy a $1500 bike at 35lbs or heavier. If you aren’t under 10% body fat and can’t ride at 25-30 mph then don’t worry so much about your bike. $1000 is most u really need to spend. It doesn’t matter if you aren’t concern about speed! I can blow away every fat ass wannabe riders on their $4000 15 lb trek and specialized bikes with my Motocabane cafe century easily
Old 08-16-21, 07:25 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Epoblooddope
you can’t buy a new 20lb all carbon bike anywhere under $3000. If you want to ride fast uphill and flats in general but want to stop at gym and stores without fearing losing thousands to some scumbag thief then that’s the bike for you. If you don’t care about recreational racing with bargain price bike or being optimal body fat and not having anyone pass you at average 25-30 mph flats then just buy a $1500 bike at 35lbs or heavier. If you aren’t under 10% body fat and can’t ride at 25-30 mph then don’t worry so much about your bike. $1000 is most u really need to spend. It doesn’t matter if you aren’t concern about speed! I can blow away every fat ass wannabe riders on their $4000 15 lb trek and specialized bikes with my Motocabane cafe century easily
Wow...hmmm....zombie thread resurfaced. Fairly certain the OP bought a bike 10 yrs ago............

OP hasn't posted a message since 2012. Most likely isn't paying any attention to the Bike Forums and out riding the bike instead.