Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Older aluminum Cannondale road bikes?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Older aluminum Cannondale road bikes?

Old 01-31-14, 10:24 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I got your frost heaves RIGHT HERE!!!

Love that paint scheme. Is that custom/factory that year?
Aren't frost heaves such a pleasant joy from January through March? Below is a picture of my wheel being swallowed by a crack caused by our inevitable FHs. Do you have them in Northern MI every year or just during winters when it is really cold? They are a fact of life here in the NH mountains. The ones on the 3.5 miles from the house to the church cause me to slow down so much it adds an extra 5-8 minutes to my drive each day.

I like the paint scheme as well and it was factory. The Headshok is a replacement. The original has a black to purple fade like the frame. I needed to have it rebuilt and have never gotten around to using it again. Saving it for when this all black one gives out.

The Silk Road Headshoks never really caught on for Cannondale. I'm guessing because they add about 2-3 lbs to the frameset, and in most parts of the country, they are really not needed. Here, however, I really appreciate the small amount of shock absorption they provide. Only about 1/4 of our roads can be considered "smooth."

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 01-31-14, 10:42 AM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Cache
Brandenjs, Great looking bone stock original Black Lightning. Well, except for the upgraded pedals from what I can see. And maybe that inner ring.
Thanks, it is very closer to original. The gentleman I bought it from lived near York Pa. so he must have spent a lot of time in the small ring. I'm going to switch it out for a black one. I may also switch to some STI's. Hope that's not a sin. 😁😁
Old 01-31-14, 10:50 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Aren't frost heaves such a pleasant joy from January through March? Below is a picture of my wheel being swallowed by a crack caused by our inevitable FHs. Do you have them in Northern MI every year or just during winters when it is really cold? They are a fact of life here in the NH mountains. The ones on the 3.5 miles from the house to the church cause me to slow down so much it adds an extra 5-8 minutes to my drive each day.

I like the paint scheme as well and it was factory. The Headshok is a replacement. The original has a black to purple fade like the frame. I needed to have it rebuilt and have never gotten around to using it again. Saving it for when this all black one gives out.

The Silk Road Headshoks never really caught on for Cannondale. I'm guessing because they add about 2-3 lbs to the frameset, and in most parts of the country, they are really not needed. Here, however, I really appreciate the small amount of shock absorption they provide. Only about 1/4 of our roads can be considered "smooth."

The worst for us is when it finally thaws. Right now we a seeing icy/snow covered roads. It's going to be bad. My season usually starts the first 35deg sunny day in March and have to keep a vigilant eye for the cracks and holes like you posted. Yikes. Keep preaching, brother.
Old 03-30-14, 04:32 PM
stykthyn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just picked up an 88 sr500 for my son and I have been riding an early 90s r400 for the last two years. Both are phenomenal bikes and I cant say I see them leaving the family any time soon.
Old 03-30-14, 06:14 PM
Hoss Cartright

Bikes: Schwinns, lots of them. Some Paramounts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I also was under the impression that they were very stiff and had a harsh ride, and this is what I had been told over the years. And indeed, before my first Cannondale, I had purchased new, an aluminum 1995 Schwinn 100th Anniversary Super Sport, It was very harsh, and in fact I rode it only a few times as it transmitted every little imperfection in the road surface into my hands and arms.

My second Cannondale was purchased in June 2012, and is my 'beater' - It's a 2004 R600 CAAD5 and I ride it all the time, and I love that bike.

I acquired my first one, a 1987 SR400 Team Comp in December 2011, it is built with all Campy. (My buddy bought it new as a frame-set) I seldom ride it but it is very quick handling and climbs great. I gave $225.00 for it, mostly for the Campy group, but it rides so nice, I'm keeping it around. Because of the tighter geometry, it rides a little more harsh, but not bad really.

Last edited by Hoss Cartright; 03-31-14 at 06:27 AM. Reason: add image
Old 07-25-14, 03:53 PM
M38A1
Noob - Be gentle...

Bikes: Cervelo and old stuff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a circa '96 Cannondale 2.8 Alum frameset I used for a "franken-tri-bike" in 96. Heck of a deal on purchasing bare frames at the time my old Specialized CF bike had a rear hanger failure. I built up the bike with some fun stuff, did a lot of triathlons on it and put it away. Now, I'd like to bring it back, but in a road bike configuration. It's a 7s rear and what I'd like to do, is swap out the tri bars for some standard road bars and have the STI capability instead of DT shifters. Does anyone have a source for STI shifters for a 7s? Not sure I can go up to 8s due to rear stay width. I'll try to get some pics up in it's current configuration.
Old 07-25-14, 06:45 PM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 137 Posts
[h=1]Shimano ST-A070 Road Shifters 2 x 7-Speed Black Pair[/h]https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-ST-A070-Shifters-7-Speed-Black/dp/B007Q4MM1I/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1406335451&sr=8-9&keywords=shimano+shifter+7+speed
Old 07-25-14, 07:11 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by M38A1
I have a circa '96 Cannondale 2.8 Alum frameset I used for a "franken-tri-bike" in 96. Heck of a deal on purchasing bare frames at the time my old Specialized CF bike had a rear hanger failure. I built up the bike with some fun stuff, did a lot of triathlons on it and put it away. Now, I'd like to bring it back, but in a road bike configuration. It's a 7s rear and what I'd like to do, is swap out the tri bars for some standard road bars and have the STI capability instead of DT shifters. Does anyone have a source for STI shifters for a 7s? Not sure I can go up to 8s due to rear stay width. I'll try to get some pics up in it's current configuration.
The '96 R models have 130 mm wide drop outs. You can use any 8+S you wish to.

Brad
Old 07-25-14, 08:07 PM
M38A1
Noob - Be gentle...

Bikes: Cervelo and old stuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OTS
[h=1]Shimano ST-A070 Road Shifters 2 x 7-Speed Black Pair[/h]https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-ST-A070-Shifters-7-Speed-Black/dp/B007Q4MM1I/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1406335451&sr=8-9&keywords=shimano+shifter+7+speed
Originally Posted by bradtx
The '96 R models have 130 mm wide drop outs. You can use any 8+S you wish to.

Brad
Thank you both! I'll start poking around and see what I can come up with. Very much appreciated.
Old 07-26-14, 06:31 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
I recently updated my '93 R600 2.8 with Nashbar's compact double and MicroShift 9 speed brifters. I did this on the cheap for about $250 with the Nashbar ISIS BB. The shifting on the MicroShift is spot on and never misses.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 07-26-14, 08:42 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I recently updated my '93 R600 2.8 with Nashbar's compact double and MicroShift 9 speed brifters. I did this on the cheap for about $250 with the Nashbar ISIS BB. The shifting on the MicroShift is spot on and never misses.
I have the Nashbar ISIS BB that is on it's 3rd season with a lot hill courses and TT's on it. It doesnt feel smooth in the bearings when turned by hand the other day but it is tight and spins effortlessly. Definately worth the money and dropped weight nearly a 1/2 pound. And never needs servicing.
Old 07-26-14, 08:46 AM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

I changed out my DT's on my Black Lightning with this set of Tourney 2x7's. They are pretty awesome for the price. Nice smooth action and perfect color match for this bike.
Old 07-28-14, 08:18 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs
I changed out my DT's on my Black Lightning with this set of Tourney 2x7's. They are pretty awesome for the price. Nice smooth action and perfect color match for this bike.
Sharp! Enough teasing -let us see the whole thing!
Old 07-28-14, 05:49 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Sharp! Enough teasing -let us see the whole thing!
Here are a couple of shots I have of it. I have since replaced the rear der. with a black 105 long cage. The original Suntour Sprint was borderline working with the shifters and the rear freewheel (14-28). I love riding this bike. Always catches an eye with the metal flake paint.

Old 07-28-14, 06:18 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Nice wedge bag by Zefal. Did you cut the EZ-mount off?
Walmart had them for $5, and I bought the last 5 they had.
Also, great saddle.

Perfect timing for a BL upgrade. I'm collecting parts for a certain BF member's BL upgrade.
He's found wheels that are black with gold letters, and I'm slowly accumulating black components.
I figure with Jagwire's gold, some patience and a little judicious use of KCNC gold pieces, it will look Mahvelous.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 07-28-14 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-28-14, 07:13 PM
gt eunuch

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love that black lightning!

Just finished (re)building this up. Up until about 3 weeks ago this was still running around on the stock RSX 7 speed, downtube shifter drivetrain. Still had stock RSX hubs and everything.

I got a smoking good deal on some 7800 brake/shift levers, so thus starts a re-build, won't be too hard right? *sigh*

I wanted to replace the bars anyway, so got a set of Origin 8 ProFit 26.0 compact drops (which are FAR more comfortable IMO), new bar tape, new jagwire cableset. Once that came in, I quickly realized that I needed to get a 10 speed cassette, and turns out that just wont fit on the 7 speed RSX freehub. Off to craigslist to find a set of new, take off, wheels/tires/cassette from a Specialized Allez. They are lighter than my old set, and they even come with a 10 speed cassette.

I get all of that installed, and go for the first test ride. Front shifting does NOT play nice. the front derailleur seems too *wide* and I cannot nail down the high limit at all. It would either drop the chain or not shift at all. On downshifts, the chain would often get caught between the cogs, skating along and the chain was not catching on the teeth. Sigh. Off to ebay to get some 10speed rings (matched the stock rings in tooth count, 46/36) and a NOS Ultegra 6600 front derailleur that Shimano says works with the 7800 shifters nicely. Note: Still running stock RSX rear derailleur, that works great!

After installing all of that, it is a brand new bike entirely. This thing is awesome. Super light and no one believes me when I tell them it is 20 years old. Only thing that will happen at some time is a new large chainring. 46/12 is my top gear now, and have already hit a few downhills that have caught me being very close to spinning out.

As found, Early 2013.

and as it sits today. Notice how the bike fit has changed. It is far more comfortable now, and my knees no longer hurt

Next up, I need a new (black) headset. This one self centers on the stand pretty bad. Not bad riding, but it shouldn't do that. Black brake calipers may come in the future as well as a new (black) rear mech. The eventual goal is to have everything that is shiny, swapped out with black versions of the same bits.

Last edited by gt eunuch; 07-28-14 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-28-14, 08:32 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Nice wedge bag by Zefal. Did you cut the EZ-mount off?
Walmart had them for $5, and I bought the last 5 they had.
Also, great saddle.

Perfect timing for a BL upgrade. I'm collecting parts for a certain BF member's BL upgrade.
He's found wheels that are black with gold letters, and I'm slowly accumulating black components.
I figure with Jagwire's gold, some patience and a little judicious use of KCNC gold pieces, it will look Mahvelous.
Thanks Robbie,
I do like those Zefal packs. I found this one at a thrift store for like $3 I think. The EZ mount actually tucks really nice between the saddle rails of that Cinelli saddle. I was on the fence to even upgrade this bike just because it was completely original, but these shifters really do make a difference on longer rides. The changes will only offend a small amount of purists..
Old 07-28-14, 09:08 PM
bradtx

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
gt eunuch, Here's the head set I used on my '89: Tange Levin CDS Threaded Headset > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA . Origin 8 may also have a black threaded model. Shimano 5700 is a good group to find black components. The brake set will also more closely match the 7800's nrake lever pull ratio.

Brad
Old 07-29-14, 07:23 AM
gt eunuch

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
gt eunuch, Here's the head set I used on my '89: Tange Levin CDS Threaded Headset > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA . Origin 8 may also have a black threaded model. Shimano 5700 is a good group to find black components. The brake set will also more closely match the 7800's nrake lever pull ratio.

Brad
Thanks bradtx!

Just to verify, you used the standard 26.4 crown race model, right?
Old 07-29-14, 09:06 AM
bradtx

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gt eunuch
Thanks bradtx!

Just to verify, you used the standard 26.4 crown race model, right?
I am pretty sure it's 26.4 mm and I'll double check later using the project bike.

Brad
Old 07-29-14, 12:41 PM
bradtx

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am pretty sure it's 26.4 mm and I'll double check later using the project bike.

Brad
Yes, it's 26.4 mm. It's also the headset I swapped out from my '97 2.8 frame.

Brad
Old 10-04-14, 01:21 PM
human33

Bikes: 1982 Bridgestone "Diamond Road", 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1987 Cannondale ST400, Cinelli Mystic Rats, Trek 790

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Two years ago i was also lucky one and thankfully brought 87' ST400 with the help of Brad, Ricc, and some other guys from this forum. Thanks guys...

I purchased it for the touring purpose but it become my all purpose favourite bike. From that day i just cant find better bike and belive me i am trying...Only bike polo i dont play with it If would have canti mounts like T1000 it would be the perfect bike for me.

Its one of the lightest touring bikes as i know with great geometry for recreational rider who likes to go long but fast.
I have toured fully loaded...It climbs like a beast. Its a great for urban city riding, winter too. This summer i was pushed it to the edge with 5 months of pavement, macadam, trail, even single track riding ...All that with 32 panaracer tyres and sidepulls. With Brooks and 38 tyres its more than a comfortable ride...Do i have to say it looks great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WP_20140919_011.jpg (102.8 KB, 920 views)
Old 10-04-14, 02:10 PM
bradtx

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
human33, The early STs are really good looking bikes, nice to read yours is being used so often.

Brad
Old 10-04-14, 02:51 PM
mrybczyn

Bikes: '08 RANS, '97 Dale, '88 Miele, '81 Marinoni

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My R300 was quite harsh with the steel fork. Just installed nashbar threaded carbon fork, seems much smoother. Will test it out on longer ride soon. I like the 90s vibe it has...

Old 10-04-14, 03:58 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by mrybczyn
My R300 was quite harsh with the steel fork. Just installed nashbar threaded carbon fork, seems much smoother. Will test it out on longer ride soon. I like the 90s vibe it has...

Nice ride! I love the harsh ride in the morning....it reminds me of victory.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.