Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cars to Tote Bikes, in these modern times?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cars to Tote Bikes, in these modern times?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-21, 07:58 AM
ADguy 

Bikes: '99 Pinarello Stelvio; ‘85 Cannondale ST500; '75 Austro-Daimler AD-SL; '84 Peugeot PH11; '83 Peugeot PH18; '91 Bridgestone MB3; ‘95 Bridgestone NB26

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 25 Posts
Audi Avant (wagon)

Our Audi A4 wagon fits two vintage longer wheelbase bikes easily without removing the front wheels. They lay flat with drive sides up and a couple of dog blankets between them, as the second bike in will overlap and lay somewhat over the first.

I recently hauled one bike and a 50 lb Springer Spaniel from VA to Cape Cod comfortably, with plenty of space for both dog and bike. We averaged 28MPG driving lead-foot on the I95 racetrack as well.
Likes For ADguy:
Old 05-10-21, 08:56 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
This is why we are clinging to our beloved 2001 VW Passat wagon as long as we reasonably can. Hanging from the garage rafters I have a preassembled pair of VW crossbars and Yakima bike racks I can literally lower onto the car's roof rack if I need to carry 3 or 4 people, but normally I just fold the rear seat cushions forward against the backs of the front seats, then drop the rear seatbacks for an almost-6-foot-long, nearly flat load floor. Best-sized, best-configured car ever offered on the American market. We also have a 2016 VW Golf Sportwagen, but the cargo space is noticeably smaller.
Yeah John, I had a '93 Passat sedan which was an ugly beauty - I wished I had the wagon. In EU VW has come out with a Passat Alltrack, but I'm not sure it will ever come here.
Old 05-10-21, 09:45 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The simple answer is a crew cab pickup with a hard tonneau cover like I have. It is a do all vehicle, and most bikes fit in the bed safe and secure with the tonneau cover locked.
Old 05-11-21, 05:00 PM
ADguy 

Bikes: '99 Pinarello Stelvio; ‘85 Cannondale ST500; '75 Austro-Daimler AD-SL; '84 Peugeot PH11; '83 Peugeot PH18; '91 Bridgestone MB3; ‘95 Bridgestone NB26

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Yeah John, I had a '93 Passat sedan which was an ugly beauty - I wished I had the wagon. In EU VW has come out with a Passat Alltrack, but I'm not sure it will ever come here.
yeah, we loved our ‘99 Passat wagon- had a Thule rack system for whitewater & ocean kayaks and for our bikes. Unfortunately, I blew the turbo after 17 yrs and traded it in for the Audi. Still looking for Thule rack adaptors that will fit the Audi rails... In the meantime the cargo space is plenty big for 2 bikes.
Likes For ADguy:
Old 05-11-21, 06:48 PM
rydabent
Banned

I havent seen a "Cars for Carting Bikes" thread for a while, so since I'm about tto buy a little bigger car, lemme see what the old bike guys think.

I've been driving Prius' since about 2007. One Mrk 2 was totalled so we replaced it with a 2009, Wife needed her own so we got here a used 2007, retired from Toyota so we traded the '07 Prius for a Lexus SUV, then we hated the Lexus and for a 2018 Prius (new).

The '18 Prius is a Mk 4 and a little lower in every way than the Mk2: harder to get in and out, the cargo floor os not smooth, and it's harder to fit two bikes. The cargo height is lower in the rear, as well. So even with the better fuel economy (better hybrid system and the "Ukieh-O Samurai Warrior" body style are more energy efficient than the lozenge-shaped Mk2, we like to drive the Mk2 Prius (2009, recall) better, even though it is close to 180k miles.

We're thinking now of trading the Mk4 (2018, 17k miles) for a 2018 VW Golf Alltrak SEL wagon, with 3500 miles. It seems to be a little old lady house-locked by Covid situation, except for the 6-sp manual transmission!

The bed seems long enough for a long wheelbase (105 cm) 650b, even two of them, it has loads of toys and safety features, and an easy to understand dashboard. I don't mind pulling wheels of of bicycles, but on the 650bs we have SON dynos and it's a tricky job to disconnect and reconnect the wiring. So we like a cargo bed where we can just lay bikes down.

Next alternative for a station wagon is a Volvo V60 or an Audi All-road (based on the A4 sedan). Mercedes-Benz has this year an E-class wagon, but the "cheap one" is $67K. V60 is available as a hybrid but that costs as much as the E-class. The Subaru Outback is also still in the picture, so I have to take a better look at it.

What have you folks found as good choices in the current market?
Many years ago there was a Ford pickup advertisement that stated if you have two vehicles, the second one should be a pickup. Why have two cars, when they do the same thing. That really seemed logical to me.

Finally back in 1994 I remembered that, and bought my first small pickup. Smartest move I ever made. Carrying bikes and trikes are only one of the many things you can do with a pickup. In fact if you can get by with only one vehicle, a crew cab mid sized pickup is the do all machine. You can carry 5 people, and the bed can be use for a multitude of hauling jobs.
Old 05-12-21, 04:09 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by rydabent
The simple answer is a crew cab pickup with a hard tonneau cover like I have. It is a do all vehicle, and most bikes fit in the bed safe and secure with the tonneau cover locked.
My life is not simple enough for that answer. We do not want a tall vehicle. We had a Lexus GX 450hl several years back, and we hated it. It’s height was only one of the most hateful factors.
Old 05-12-21, 08:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,626 Times in 2,915 Posts
Cars to tote bikes in these “Modern Times”

Loved the Charlie Chaplin classic, Modern Times. The term Modern is so....uh, un-modern.

I carry two bikes on a hitch mounted rack on my AWD Macan, all of which fits in the garage with a bit of finesse.

Last edited by rsbob; 05-12-21 at 08:52 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-14-21, 02:13 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I've got a Chevy Colorado ZR2 diesel here in northern NM. I use a hitch rack unless we're going camping and pulling one of our trailers, then I've got two 1UP racks on top of the bed rack.

Likes For Terex:
Old 05-18-21, 10:28 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Forester or an Outback can hold a single bike with front wheel on, laid down in back with rear seats folded flat. 2 Bikes with no F wheels attached, sorta upright leaning on each other.
I can fit my bike in my Crosstrek with the front wheel on (front wheel turned) with no problems. Imprezas have the same cargo area dimensions. I still use a hitch mounted Kuat Sherpa 2.0 but it's good to know that the bike fits inside if I feel it necessary.
Old 05-21-21, 08:55 AM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Here are a couple of shots of my bike haulers that I literally threw together in a few minutes from stuff I had laying around.

This is how I haul road bikes in the back of my pickup. Note the old cabinet door handles. Spiffy.

Last summer we took a road trip to some National Parks. We rented a mini van and I put together a
quick way to secure the bikes.

Likes For reverborama:
Old 05-21-21, 09:35 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I usually pick the e class mercedes wagon for comfort and range, but the gas pig land cruiser works and so does the F350 Super Duty.
Old 05-22-21, 10:05 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 4,835 Times in 2,989 Posts
Tesla Model X for me. It swallows road bikes whole with ease and Mtbs go on a rear hitch rack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4525 (1).jpg (286.0 KB, 203 views)
Old 05-22-21, 10:29 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Many years ago there was a Ford pickup advertisement that stated if you have two vehicles, the second one should be a pickup. Why have two cars, when they do the same thing. That really seemed logical to me.
When I had my Trek DS I would haul it around in the trunk of my XJ6.. Pop the wheels off and it would lay right down. Otherwise Ill use my F150. Its an older one with a 6.75 ft shortbed and I slip a 2x4 into the pockets in the bedliner and I have a couple of fork mounts bolted to it. It has a campershell so its a little more secure and keeps them out of the weather if needed.

While I did get by with just the PU for a long time, used it for everything, commuting, hauling stuff ect (the mrs had a Wrangler) it was always nice to have a "dog free" vehicle and it was nice that the trunk was large enough to take a bike.

Last edited by JehD; 05-22-21 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-31-21, 09:27 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
At the moment we're strongly preferring the 2019 Golf Alltrack.
I have a Hyundai 2010 Santa Fe SUV. For day rides, both bikes fit in the rear with front wheels off. An old sleeping bag goes between the bikes for padding and to minimize entanglements with pedals. For longer overnights or vacations with the dog, both wheels come off and go into wheel bags, and the bikes sit on top of the luggage with the bagged wheels on top. Small bags for hotel stays are accessible for in and out.

For all trips a painters tan canvas drop cloth covers the cargo. It prevents peeping eyes. I do not use external racks due to the inevitable busy, curious fingers messing with bikes and controls in external racks.

Using the pickup with a locking fiberglass cap is even easier.

In my experience with SUV and station wagons, wagons are easier for bikes. I just saw an Alltrack yesterday and it looks to me to be more spacious than the mid-size SUV,
Old 06-02-21, 11:31 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
I have a Hyundai 2010 Santa Fe SUV. For day rides, both bikes fit in the rear with front wheels off. An old sleeping bag goes between the bikes for padding and to minimize entanglements with pedals. For longer overnights or vacations with the dog, both wheels come off and go into wheel bags, and the bikes sit on top of the luggage with the bagged wheels on top. Small bags for hotel stays are accessible for in and out.

For all trips a painters tan canvas drop cloth covers the cargo. It prevents peeping eyes. I do not use external racks due to the inevitable busy, curious fingers messing with bikes and controls in external racks.

Using the pickup with a locking fiberglass cap is even easier.

In my experience with SUV and station wagons, wagons are easier for bikes. I just saw an Alltrack yesterday and it looks to me to be more spacious than the mid-size SUV,
yes, that’s what I like about the Alltrack! We’re gonna go look at an Audi A4 Allroad later this week, similar size and layout!
Old 06-03-21, 12:11 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
For over a decade, I used my Toyota Tacoma with a cap. On the rare occasion I needed to hold more than one bike, I could either stack them with blankets in between or in the case of my lowracers, run with the tailgate down and bikes bungeed to each side. I've also used a hitch rack with it. Pickup trucks don't need to be tall, unless you feel the need for a giant 4WD model. My Tacoma was only about 5'6-8", and I could have easily carried 3-4 regular bikes on a fork mount if the cap wasn't there. The problem: the truck gets relatively poor gas mileage.

These days the Tacoma is semi-retired and any bike I have will fit inside my Mazda 6 with the rear seat folded. It requires removal of the rear wheel, but even my 7' avatar bike will fit. If I'm transporting more than one, well, I have a roof rack and will accept the mileage hit for those rare occasions.
Old 06-06-21, 03:34 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Pickup truck. Set tailgate down, roll bike in. Close tailgate, This is why I own a truck, it makes light work out of most everything.
Old 06-14-21, 09:52 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I finally found an electric that might be a worthy successor to our 20-years-young Passat wagon: https://www.vw.com/en/models/id-4.html

No rush, as long as the Passat continues to serve us well, but as a car ages, stuff happens.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-17-21, 11:41 AM
rydabent
Banned

My life is not simple enough for that answer. We do not want a tall vehicle. We had a Lexus GX 450hl several years back, and we hated it. It’s height was only one of the most hateful factors.
OTOH when we got our first pickup, my wife wasnt too sure about it. But then when she drove it, she loved it. The reason----------because she sat higher and could see traffic better.

My wife and I are both retired, and we have only the one vehicle, a 2015 crew cab Colorado. It is pretty much a do all vehicle with 5 seats and the box that can carry most anything. It is amazing how much money you can save if you only have one vehicle. Taxes, license, gas, maintanence etc.

And then with the Toneau cover, I can transport my bike in a clean safe place, and can lock it up over night out of site. Great all around vehicle for a cyclist.

Last edited by rydabent; 06-19-21 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-20-21, 07:18 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
My Honda Odyssey was the best bike carrier I ever had. With the rear seats folded I could put 3 bikes inside upright with ease, probably a fourth if needed. That minivan is now gone and I have a Tesla Model 3. With that car the only good option is a trailer hitch mounted rack. You can't use a roof rack because of the glass roof, although Tesla themselves sell a rack which can take a roof bike holder from any of the regular brands. That said, I've also read where the stress of the bikes has cracked the glass. Trailer hitch plus 1Up or some other hitch rack gets expensive fast. I have put my bike inside with one rear seat folded down. I haven't tried adding a second, maybe facing the other way. I don't have trunk mats yet so I'm being careful. I'm still on the fence about the hitch rack. I know we would throw two bikes into the minivan at the drop of a hat, but would we do it if it weren't so easy?
Likes For zacster:
Old 06-21-21, 03:57 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 4,835 Times in 2,989 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
My Honda Odyssey was the best bike carrier I ever had. With the rear seats folded I could put 3 bikes inside upright with ease, probably a fourth if needed. That minivan is now gone and I have a Tesla Model 3. With that car the only good option is a trailer hitch mounted rack. You can't use a roof rack because of the glass roof, although Tesla themselves sell a rack which can take a roof bike holder from any of the regular brands. That said, I've also read where the stress of the bikes has cracked the glass. Trailer hitch plus 1Up or some other hitch rack gets expensive fast. I have put my bike inside with one rear seat folded down. I haven't tried adding a second, maybe facing the other way. I don't have trunk mats yet so I'm being careful. I'm still on the fence about the hitch rack. I know we would throw two bikes into the minivan at the drop of a hat, but would we do it if it weren't so easy?
Hitch racks are pretty easy if you get a good one. I can fit the rack and up to 4 bikes in less than 10 mins. Less if only 1 or 2 bikes. They also mean no mess gets inside the car.
Old 06-21-21, 07:05 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Just got a 22 Honda Odyssey with a 2in hitch and roof rack. Not much effort required to transport 4 of us with bikes and gear.
Tim
Old 07-09-21, 02:37 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I haul mine in a full size F150 with 8' bed. I use the Top Line UG2500 rack for it. No disassembly required and it's held in place (upright) so it doesn't slide around in the bed.
Jon
Old 07-09-21, 09:48 AM
rydabent
Banned

If you have two vehicles, why have two cars that do the same thing, when a pickup with its bed can easily haul bikes and trikes.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 07-09-21, 10:28 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
The Audi RS6 Avant is low enough for a garage, fits a bike inside, and does an 11.3 second quarter mile.

The Audi A6 allroad returned 34 mpg at 75 mph on Car and Driver's test loop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.