Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Troll Competition

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-04, 06:55 AM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I’m a newbie trying to buy a reliable bike for less than $400 that I can use for commuting, touring and BMX racing. I have a tight budget, so I’m hoping my handgun will keep cars far enough away that I won’t need a helmet. The gun is also handy for dogs that come at me while I ride along the sidewalk and when cars get mad at me when I run red lights. Any other suggestions for dealing with obnoxious drivers?

My LBS has given me lots of advice, but I can save 5% by going online. Would that be ethical? I hear Perfomance is slow with orders, have y'all had problems? The LBS also tells me that Campy parts are all junk and that I should use only Shimano on my fixie (gears are for wimps!). LBS will throw in a LAF wristband for $20. Is that worth it? LBS tells me I should use TriFlow or the like, but motor oil has always worked just fine for me

As far as getting fit, I’d like to use a HRM, but I think cadence should be my guide. I’m also on the Atkins diet, but some say that Atkins is a cult, not a diet. Is Atkins safe for cyclists?

I don't want to look for other people who may have asked the same questions in other threads. Bezides, sum of u make so many tipe-os that I kant reed ur posts. I'd post this on the Women’s Cycling Forum, too, but some bigot won’t let me.

Edit: I forgot to say that this should be a sticky thread and that I need to know which is better, Gatorskins, Armadillos, or kevlar liners. Thanks.

Apologies to Allister, ChezJfrey, Dchiefransom, a2psyklnut, and others for stealing ideas.

Last edited by Daily Commute; 08-25-04 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-25-04, 07:11 AM
HereNT
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You forgot fashion, man. What do all you crazy bike people wear? Why don't I look as good as you when I wear bike shorts? Do they make my but look fat? Does wearing a US Postal Jersey mean that my co-workers will go postal on me? Or does it mean that I'll ride faster, and be able to get away from them? Should I change clothes and shower at work, or just be a greasy sweaty mess?

Sorry, I'm not a troll, just a junkie. Can't come up with much else. Other than :

Happy Birthday!!!

Apologies to A.Troll.
Old 08-25-04, 07:53 AM
Moonshot
Now with racer-boy font!

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Tuscany, Trek 5500, Breezer Storm, Bianchi road bike (fixed)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes new riders are just ignorant in some areas, so they need help from more experienced riders. We shouldn't be too hard on them. Still, I hope they can laugh at themselves along with us. Maybe they aren't trolling on purpose.

I have a big head. Which helmet will fit me?

I have big feet. Can someone tell me which brand of cycling shoe to buy?

www.eastalabamacycling.org
Old 08-25-04, 08:50 AM
Phatman

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
Why do road bikers shave their legs? whats the best way if I do?
Old 08-25-04, 09:24 AM
erraticrider

Bikes: Cannondale, trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What does Koffee have against men, and why did she close another interesting thread discussing men's issues?
Old 08-25-04, 09:55 AM
Paul L.

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was riding against traffic on the sidewalk and this jerk comes out of nowhere and hits my brother's sister's cousin who was riding behind me but I got the whole thing on video because I always video tape what is behind me in case someone strikes me from behind. Of course I whipped around and gave him the stare of death while I knocked out all his windows and flattened all his tires and then hit him. Maybe I should carry bear spray, or a gun, what do you think? Then to make matters worse some policeman with an attidude harassed me and told me to get off the street when I ran a red light. I know I was at fault but that was no reason for him to pull me over! So acting on a tip, I show him my Orphan Anne Fan club card instead of my drivers license for ID so he won't take me in to the precinct and my insurance won't go up. Then this guy steals my bike so I chase him down and twist my bike frame around his neck and he won't pay for replacement......... Ad nauseum...... =o)
Old 08-25-04, 10:19 AM
cyclingshane73
Compulsive Upgrader

Bikes: 2002 Kona Deluxe (road), 2001 Cove Stiffee (mtb)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy crap keep this going! Its freakin' funny!

I have big feet. Can someone tell me which brand of cycling shoe to buy?
When I read this quote I felt like asking should the question be, "What size shorts do I buy?" Cause you know what they say about men with big feet.
"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs. We should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power." -P.J. O'Rourke
Old 08-25-04, 10:31 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
I rode my bike to go get a hair cut. I asked the barber if I can bring my bike inside. He said sure, no problem. I said thanks. He said, nice bike....

George
Old 08-25-04, 10:38 AM
royalflash

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erraticrider
What does Koffee have against men, and why did she close another interesting thread discussing men's issues?
what thread was this?
Old 08-25-04, 10:53 AM
samundsen
Alien lifeform

Bikes: 2002 Specialized Expedition Elite, 2005 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What bike should I buy? My budget is $100. I saw this special at Wal-Mart, it was a pink Huffy for $79.99. It looked real cool because is has full suspension. I'm a 36 year old guy, 350lbs. The sales person at Wal-Mart was really helpful and knowledgable. He said the Huffy would be perfect for me, they are a good brand and real sturdy. He also told me to stay off the sidewalk and to always ride on the left hand side of the road. I'd also like to put clipless pedals on it because I've heard that they would make me faster. I don't want to get a helmet, I think they look stupid. I think I need a lock, because I am going to ride to work and I don't want anyone to steal my brand new bike. Which lock should I get?
Old 08-25-04, 11:02 AM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Where can i get a nazi cycling jersey?
Likes For slvoid:
Old 08-25-04, 11:11 AM
Lufty
n00b street rider

Location: North Bay Area, California, USA, Terra Firma, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster.

Bikes: Lemond Nevada City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by samundsen
What bike should I buy? My budget is $100. I saw this special at Wal-Mart, it was a pink Huffy for $79.99. It looked real cool because is has full suspension. I'm a 36 year old guy, 350lbs. The sales person at Wal-Mart was really helpful and knowledgable. He said the Huffy would be perfect for me, they are a good brand and real sturdy. He also told me to stay off the sidewalk and to always ride on the left hand side of the road. I'd also like to put clipless pedals on it because I've heard that they would make me faster. I don't want to get a helmet, I think they look stupid. I think I need a lock, because I am going to ride to work and I don't want anyone to steal my brand new bike. Which lock should I get?
BWAHAHAHA! ROFLOL! I hope I haven't pulled anything as bad as that...lol!
Old 08-25-04, 11:28 AM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Underwear, do you wear whitie tighties under your shorts?

Enshrining Lance's ex-wife (stirring up the Koffee factor)
Old 08-25-04, 11:31 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I was going to get a Serotta, but I'm a registered Republican, and I want to buy a bike made in the USA.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-25-04, 11:33 AM
Vision-
Look out!

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock, Raleigh Record Ace, Argon 18 700.5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was in a rush this morning so I took my most direct route to work (only 250 km as opposed to my usual 400). I was riding my 1901 clown unicycle (cause two wheels are for wimps – clowns RULE!!), when the driver of senior’s home bus raised his eyebrows at me in what was clearly a hostile manner.

Now I’m usually a levelheaded guy, but this really pissed me off. Even so, I let him off with a light pistol whipping. Unfortunately, when I was trying to jump from the cycle onto the hood of the moving bus to get to the driver, I slipped a bit when my pet monkey jumped out of my backpack.

So my question is, would a monkey trailer have avoided this? Anybody have any experience with monkey trailers?
Likes For Vision-:
Old 08-25-04, 11:38 AM
Joe Gardner
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bump!
Old 08-25-04, 11:43 AM
Lufty
n00b street rider

Location: North Bay Area, California, USA, Terra Firma, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the best thread ever!
Old 08-25-04, 11:51 AM
royalflash

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use WD40 for all my lubrication needs (including my bike) - i have noticed a bit of creaking from the hubs and chain though but I just turn the volume up on my Walkman so no problem
Old 08-25-04, 11:54 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I ride a MTB, but mostly on the road. Also, I'm gay but closeted. So should I wear lycra shorts, baggies, or corduroy cut-offs?
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-25-04, 12:06 PM
Lufty
n00b street rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I ride a MTB, but mostly on the road. Also, I'm gay but closeted. So should I wear lycra shorts, baggies, or corduroy cut-offs?
LOL! caloso...back @ ya!

I need some advice. A few weeks ago my MTB buddies who are all single, live for Babylon 5 re-runs, and haven't had GFs in 5-10 years started in on me about wanting to "road bike." I feel embarased when they make fun of me while I'm riding my roadie, and they are on their sweet full suspension Huffys. I don't hear the end of it, and am concidering getting rid of my pink "Team Richard Simmons" jersey and matching pink tights. Should I go back to straight guy biking my BMX thru red lights, on the sidewalk, crazy cool straight guy "street style?"
Old 08-25-04, 12:06 PM
live311
Heeeeeere's Johnny!

Bikes: DeBernardi Zona, Trek 7.1 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LANCE SUCKS!!!
Old 08-25-04, 12:20 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I wear Corduroy cut off's or a skinsuit with velodrome helmet, depending on who i ride with.
Can we start a gay guys for gay guys forum?
Old 08-25-04, 12:24 PM
cyclingshane73
Compulsive Upgrader

Bikes: 2002 Kona Deluxe (road), 2001 Cove Stiffee (mtb)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw Breaking Away and thought it sucked big time. I watched most of it inbetween commercials and it had to be the stupidest movie about cycling ever. I can't believe I kept switching back to it while I was trying to watch an awsome monster truck show and demolition derby which I kept missing parts of cause of that stupid movie.
"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs. We should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power." -P.J. O'Rourke
Old 08-25-04, 12:31 PM
hollow

Bikes: Cervelo P2K, Cannondale R1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul L.
I was riding against traffic on the sidewalk and this jerk comes out of nowhere and hits my brother's sister's cousin who was riding behind me but I got the whole thing on video because I always video tape what is behind me in case someone strikes me from behind. Of course I whipped around and gave him the stare of death while I knocked out all his windows and flattened all his tires and then hit him. Maybe I should carry bear spray, or a gun, what do you think? Then to make matters worse some policeman with an attidude harassed me and told me to get off the street when I ran a red light. I know I was at fault but that was no reason for him to pull me over! So acting on a tip, I show him my Orphan Anne Fan club card instead of my drivers license for ID so he won't take me in to the precinct and my insurance won't go up. Then this guy steals my bike so I chase him down and twist my bike frame around his neck and he won't pay for replacement......... Ad nauseum...... =o)
Hold on! That's not fair, you just copied this from a post from about a month ago.
Old 08-25-04, 12:33 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I was wondering which SUV was best: the H2 or the Ford Excursion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.