Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

E-Bike RUST and Ocean Beach Riding

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 05-08-23, 09:54 AM
GWG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

My wife and I just spent 2 weeks riding on the Oregon Coast beaches...between the Salt Spray and the Heavy Rain, we experienced.....our M2S E-bikes have really begun to rust. What is the best way to "stop" or "clean off rust" on Derailers and Brake Discs etc.???

Pointers appreciated. We had a blast but now to care for our Bikes!!!

GARY
Stanley, Idaho
Great riding here in the Sawtooth National Recreation Area and no sand or salt.
Old 05-08-23, 10:19 AM
crn3371

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
First give them a good cleaning so as to remove all the residual salt. After everything is clean and dry THOROUGHLY lubricate everything on the bike. If there are components that are developing rust you can use some fine steel wool or a scotchbrite pad to gently remove the rust. Whenever you find yourself riding at the beach again just make sure to rinse the salt water off immediately after riding.
Likes For crn3371:
Old 05-09-23, 08:12 AM
GWG

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks,
Must get to scrubbing...Think I'll use scotch brite pads where I can,

GARY
Old 05-12-23, 09:14 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2, 2017 Trek Verve 3, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 183 Posts
For light rust, a wire wheel on a Dremel or similar rotary tool would be my first choice. If there are bigger areas, a wire wheel chucked in a drill.

Naval Jelly works wonders without any scrubbing or wire brushing.
Old 05-13-23, 01:12 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Cleaning with a detergent or other cleaning solution will not remove all the salt or its negative effects. THere are salt neutralizer products that can do that.

Inspect your bike regularly for corrosion damage. Spokes like to dissolve.

-SP
Old 05-23-23, 08:46 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
I use Dawn Ultra in the wash bucket and add a splash of kerosene

A trick learned from the great Brian Baylis

no comment on wire brush wheels and drill motors to grind off the rust

/markp
Old 05-26-23, 12:45 PM
m@Robertson

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
I live on the coast and often ride on paths surrounded by dunes, blowing sand and foggy, moisture-laden air. On occasion with a different bike I ride down the beach so... thats ground zero for salt and rust.

I have two cheap hand-pump bug sprayers from Home Depot. I think they are 2-gallons each. One is filled with a dilution of Simple Green detergent and water, based on the instructions on the jug. The other is plain water. After a ride I spray down with the soapy solution. Just all over the bike, without any real concern for the electrical bits, but not pushing my luck by directing any water streams at connections. Once the bike has gotten a once-over, I do it again with the plain water. This includes the drivetrain, so after a few rides I need to wipe the chain down with Rock And Roll and a sock. After the spritz and rinse, I park it in the garage and let it air dry.

No rust over time as a result. The low pressure of the bug sprayer is enough to get into nooks and crannies but not enough to cause issues with water penetration anywhere.

Worth noting: If all I do is park a bike in the garage and stay away from the coastline, there is enough salt just in the air so my non stainless bolts on a bike will show signs of rust in a couple of months. No need to go to the water's edge its in the air.

Speaking of which, if you have bolts - especially M5's like are on all of your rack and bottle bosses - they need to be stainless. When I say 'no rust' I mean it in that context. I have all stainless M5 and M6 socket caps everywhere.
Old 06-03-23, 06:50 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Rode along the beach in LA for years. Not a whole lot you can do once the rust sets in. Keep it clean and lubed. WD40 was made the displace water (hence the name), it can protect surfaces (no brakes obviously) . Applying a regular car wax helps protect painted surfaces. Keep in mind washing with dish soap removes the wax. If you wax the frame get a cleaner specifically made for washing cars.

I have no idea where you are going to use a scotch brite pad or wire brush. Yikes.