Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Guys - cycling shorts with more room in the crotch?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 01:10 PM
serpico7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Need some advice from the guys in this forum. I've been experimenting with saddles, saddle tilt and shorts to keep my boys happy. Most of my shorts are size small, but I've noticed that some of these have less room in the crotch than others. Those that have less room tend to put too much pressure on the boys when I'm riding. My Lusso and Nashbar Chronos shorts, for example, are a bit too tight in the crotch. Anyone know of cycling shorts make/model that tend to run a bit looser in the crotch? I could go to a size medium, but that would be too loose around the waist and thighs.
Old 09-07-06, 01:15 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My sugoi blur shorts are a bit tight there. Just perfect.
My voler bib shorts are somewhat loose in the crotch. It's the only complaint I have about them.
I prefer them a tad snug to keep things from shifting around down there. Nothing like scrunching things up when you move around in the saddle.
Old 09-07-06, 02:59 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never found any shorts with a 'pouch' for the equipment. Wish they did, though.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 09-07-06, 03:58 PM
edzo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
tuck it in your sock and ride, big fella
Likes For edzo:
Old 09-07-06, 04:01 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
you could always have a surgical reduction.
Likes For timmhaan:
Old 09-07-06, 04:40 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Is this your way of secretly bragging about your package?

Guys, my beast of a c**k is so big that it sprang up, ripped through my shorts, and got lodged in the cut-out of my saddle, what do I do??
Likes For slvoid:
Old 09-07-06, 06:16 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Stop putting that roll of quarters in your shorts?
Old 09-07-06, 06:48 PM
Mxu

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
Guys, my beast of a c**k is so big that it sprang up, ripped through my shorts, and got lodged in the cut-out of my saddle, what do I do??
Same thing happened to me the other day. I just made the best of my situation with a little patience and some olive oil, if you know what I mean.
Old 09-07-06, 08:03 PM
shakeNbake
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by timmhaan
you could always have a surgical reduction.
Yeah, I'm considering that. I've been having back problems.
Old 09-07-06, 08:55 PM
foehn

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by serpico7
Need some advice from the guys in this forum. I've been experimenting with saddles, saddle tilt and shorts to keep my boys happy. Most of my shorts are size small, but I've noticed that some of these have less room in the crotch than others. Those that have less room tend to put too much pressure on the boys when I'm riding. My Lusso and Nashbar Chronos shorts, for example, are a bit too tight in the crotch. Anyone know of cycling shorts make/model that tend to run a bit looser in the crotch? I could go to a size medium, but that would be too loose around the waist and thighs.
Sorry, but I just gotta ask--Have you tried just making sure you are not pulling the front of the shorts up too far? Most bike shorts are cut higher in the back and lower in the front at the waist. Also, make sure any and all seams are straight up and down (allowing for the curve of your lower abdomen, hips and thighs, of course), and make sure any straight front seams that run from your waist down your thighs are straight. Also, make that you lift everything up and let it settle into place after you pull your shorts into position. The preceeding is not from personal experience, but from observation of my husband getting ready to ride

As others have said, shorts vary quite a bit in the way they fit. Generally the more seams in a short, the tighter it will fit. Some short fabrics are stretchier than others and this will make shorts fit differently. You might want to try some shorts with fewer seams; a bonus of this is the fewer-seamed shorts are generally less expensive in price.

If you want to use a short with more seams (more expensive) try the fit before you buy as you may be able to go a size larger depending on the fit and that may help you out.

And if you have a favorite style/brand you are trying on, try on EVERY short in the size you think you may be wearing, because, rest assured, every one of those shorts will fit differently!
Old 09-07-06, 09:03 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
...Anyone know of cycling shorts make/model that tend to run a bit looser in the crotch?
What is really needed is shorts with a "codpiece" in the front (up, up, and away from thighs and saddles) that provides room and comfort for the spare parts. I'm surprised that nobody has produced these, being such a "natural" idea. The OCP folks could even have their codpieces in team colors to match their bikes with outlining LEDs that flashed in time with their cadence.
Old 09-07-06, 10:12 PM
-VELOCITY-

Bikes: Giant Revel 2 & Loco Fixie "The Marley"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
Is this your way of secretly bragging about your package?
Somehow I knew someone would mention it.
Old 09-08-06, 10:12 AM
krazygluon
Mad scientist w/a wrench

Bikes: none working atm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
option: wear a man-thong under your shorts. should provide adequate compression and lift with a minimum of interference with the padding of the shorts

I really wonder if it isn't a saddle-angle problem.
Old 09-08-06, 08:37 PM
serpico7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by foehn
As others have said, shorts vary quite a bit in the way they fit. Generally the more seams in a short, the tighter it will fit. Some short fabrics are stretchier than others and this will make shorts fit differently. You might want to try some shorts with fewer seams; a bonus of this is the fewer-seamed shorts are generally less expensive in price.

If you want to use a short with more seams (more expensive) try the fit before you buy as you may be able to go a size larger depending on the fit and that may help you out.

And if you have a favorite style/brand you are trying on, try on EVERY short in the size you think you may be wearing, because, rest assured, every one of those shorts will fit differently!
I ask about mens shorts and crotch fit and the most informative and useful response I get is from a woman (thanks by the way!). Half of the guys who responded are too busy thinking about my package to be responsive to my issue. To be clear, it's not my penis that feels the pressure, it's my testicles. And don't assume that they are freakishly sized - it might simply be that they are very sensitive.

OK, that being said, can we get back to the question. Anyone know any make/model that seems to be looser in the crotch than other make/models? For example, I've noticed that the Cannondale liner shorts that came with my C'dale pants are roomier in the crotch than other size S shorts like Lusso and Nashbar Chronos.
Old 09-08-06, 09:24 PM
countrydirt
Occasional poster

Bikes: 1997 Trek 520, 2020 Trek Marlin 5

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
I wear baggies. Brand is NEMA - big synthetic chamois but the liner is not too tight. I am not a high mileage rider, so don't know if the extra material in the baggies might cause problems on extended rides. Longest ride in these shorts has been 25 miles.

BTW - I also wear white cotton t-shorts and AXO mtb shoes on my roadie.
Old 09-08-06, 10:05 PM
foehn

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ask about mens shorts and crotch fit and the most informative and useful response I get is from a woman (thanks by the way!). Half of the guys who responded are too busy thinking about my package to be responsive to my issue. To be clear, it's not my penis that feels the pressure, it's my testicles. And don't assume that they are freakishly sized - it might simply be that they are very sensitive.

OK, that being said, can we get back to the question. Anyone know any make/model that seems to be looser in the crotch than other make/models? For example, I've noticed that the Cannondale liner shorts that came with my C'dale pants are roomier in the crotch than other size S shorts like Lusso and Nashbar Chronos.
One more thing--do you do the "sumo stomp" to make sure your shorts are up in the crotch where they're supposed to be? In case you don't know what I mean by "sumo stomp", the stomp is where you put the shorts on and then squat about halfway and lift each leg, one at at time. Looks silly, but works for us.

And I am wondering about the seat angle thing too. . . . How is your seat tilt? Are you riding a firm, rather hard seat or a softer one? They can be tilted wrong and too squishy.
Old 09-09-06, 02:00 AM
kyle!
what.

Bikes: raleigh rush hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have Fox shorts and they're the most comfy(as far as penis/balls comfort goes) shorts i've worn.
Old 09-09-06, 06:51 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I only wear bibs. My Etxe Ondo Bibs fit fine. The Voler bibs have a bit more room.
I have one pair of Bellwether bibs that fit good but have almost too much room "down there". When I'm riding the boys are all over the place. Feels weird.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-09-06, 07:00 AM
serpico7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by foehn
And I am wondering about the seat angle thing too. . . . How is your seat tilt? Are you riding a firm, rather hard seat or a softer one? They can be tilted wrong and too squishy.
Seat is level. I recently replaced the Sella Italia seat (which was killing me) that came with the bike with the Specialized Toupe (very firm saddle). Now I notice the discomfort only with the tighter shorts, hence my search for roomier shorts.
Old 09-09-06, 09:20 AM
foehn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seat is level. I recently replaced the Sella Italia seat (which was killing me) that came with the bike with the Specialized Toupe (very firm saddle). Now I notice the discomfort only with the tighter shorts, hence my search for roomier shorts.
So you only need more room when on the bike? This will sound contra-indicated, but have you tried tilting the nose of the seat up just a smidge? I found I needed to do this with my seat and it did improve my comfort (I was suffering from "mashing" in the "fore crotch" area). I belief that with my seat nose horizontal or tilted slightly dowm I was tending to slide forward on my saddle, and thus the discomfort. Tilting the nose of my saddle up slightly keeps me on the widest part of the saddle; perhaps this will help you, if you have not tried it already.

You might be tending to slide/come forward on the saddle, which might pull at the front of your shorts, especially if they were not perfectly fitted (read "quite snug fitting").
Old 12-03-16, 07:43 PM
dvvilkins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is an old thread, but a timeless topic, so here goes. If pulling high is too tight, you could check out Assos's bibs with with they call a "penthouse". Basically the chamois is removed up front and replaced with a thin soft material yielding a cup for the junk. It's called the Cento. Expensive like most of their stuff. I haven't tried them on but I did see them and there is more space.
Old 12-03-16, 07:58 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dvvilkins
This is an old thread, but a timeless topic, so here goes. If pulling high is too tight, you could check out Assos's bibs with with they call a "penthouse". Basically the chamois is removed up front and replaced with a thin soft material yielding a cup for the junk. It's called the Cento. Expensive like most of their stuff. I haven't tried them on but I did see them and there is more space.

How extraordinary. A thread that is over ten years old.

Well, after having resuscitated it, I certainly hope that you can fill your Centos!
Old 12-04-16, 12:40 PM
dvvilkins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Panda sushi
I think it is awesome that you waited over ten years to share this spam.

Well played sir. Well played.
I'm not understanding you post about spam. The thread is titled, "cycling shorts with more room in the crotch." I am currently having the same problem with some new bibs which I can still return. As part of my research in solving the same problem with my crotch, I came across this board and the product at a store yesterday. It seemed relevant to share in case someone else like myself happens upon this thread in search of a solution to their crotch woes.

I will be going back to the store today to try on the assos bibs. If you--panda sushi--can make a *reasoned case* for why this is not relevant to this thread, then I will bow out. Otherwise, I plan to post the outcome of my trial later today under the assumption it may be helpful to others.
Old 12-04-16, 12:43 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rivendell MUSA shorts and knickers - I think they only have knickers in stock currently.

can't find any right now - I'll look into it. These are the best. Lucky for me, they last forever.

Last edited by bulldog1935; 12-04-16 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-04-16, 01:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I have a related issue with many shorts. My testicles descending into the pant legs, risking be crushed when I sit down. I try on shorts to make sure that there is both enough room above the pant legs and the the fit at the top of the pant legs is snug. Segoi's have been some of the best I have found. The one pair of Specialized I have are nearly as good. Higher level Performance OK, lower levels poor.

I always wear my shorts with clip on suspenders to keep the pant leg tops up snug. I find bibs do this for a while, then the straps get tired. Paying extra for shorts that will guaranteed require a sewing job seems dumb so I stick to the suspenders. Plus there is tradition. John Allis, the great mentor to 1970s New England racers, always wore suspenders. (If you haven't heard of John Allis, look him up. He was a true hard man on the bike.)

Clip-on suspenders are a $20 investment. Worth a try. (And a joy to be wearing if yoU have to do serious "business" in a Porta-Potty, outdoors or any time someone is waiting.)

Ben

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.