Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front wheel noise

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Front wheel noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-14, 06:58 PM
waldick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
**SOLVED ** Front wheel noise

I have a 60mm carbon clincher front wheel with a Novatec SB271 hub that makes a weird almost grinding noise when turning or side loading the wheel at speed. The bearing is totally silent when I spin the wheel just holding the wheel off the ground and there is no side to side play. When I sprint or turn the wheel sharply at speed, it makes a grinding or rubbing noise. The brakes are not dragging and there is nothing else close to rubbing on the wheel.

Any ideas ? Is it the bearing ?

**SOLVED**

Turns out it was valve rattle. I used non-threaded valves and they were rattling. As soon as I wrapped the stems with thin tape they stopped making noise...who knew...

Last edited by waldick; 08-19-14 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-13-14, 07:41 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,406 Posts
There might be some lateral play in the hub bearings, and the side loads might be moving it to where a seal or dust cover drags.

Mount it back in the fork, push the rim sideways and swing it through arcs to see if you can see hear or feel anything.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-19-14, 05:42 AM
waldick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried that and didn't hear/feel anything. But oddly enough, when I replaced the front wheel with my old front wheel, I found that the rear wheel was making a similar noise, although not as loud. So then I also replaced the rear wheel with my old rear wheel and the noise went away...just eliminate the frame or drive train as the source. I then put the carbon front wheel back on and the noise returned. It's not rubbing anywhere on the frame or brake. So is that just the noise carbon wheels make or am I missing something? Could the bearings in both wheels be bad? Are Novatec hubs known for this?

Also, I disassembled the front hub and couldn't find any place the bearings could be rubbing if not inside the race itself...

Any ideas would be appreciated...
Old 08-19-14, 07:03 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Try removing your brake pads from ONE end at a time. Sounds like possible rim/pad noise. Andy.
Old 08-19-14, 07:18 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
It's also possible that you are hearing road or air flow vibration amplified by the carbon rim and the entire phenomenon is acoustic.
Old 08-19-14, 01:03 PM
waldick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Try removing your brake pads from ONE end at a time. Sounds like possible rim/pad noise. Andy.
I opened the brake up completely and watched for rubbing and the rim never came close to the pad, plus I tried to drag the brake and the sound is different....
Old 08-19-14, 01:06 PM
waldick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
It's also possible that you are hearing road or air flow vibration amplified by the carbon rim and the entire phenomenon is acoustic.
Well, that could be...is that something peculiar to carbon rims? I can't find even a hint of drag on the bearings and totally silent. I'm running Conti 4000 S tires, so could the side of the tire be causing the noise?